• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Introducing Myself

I wonder if he would say that it would still be valid today in "times of war"?
Yes, the question would be; “At what ratio of male to female does it kick in?”
We must have some kind of a standard if it is for some times, but not for others. The person saying that it does not qualify for the present time must provide, from Scripture, the parameters.

Yes, the question would be; “At what ratio of male to female does it kick in?”
We must have some kind of a standard if it is for some times, but not for others. The person saying that it does not qualify for the present time must provide, from Scripture, the parameters.
It's almost certainly another excuse why polygyny is bad, special and can't be normalized.

Obviously it is very helpful in times of war, and no doubt more polygamy would occur then, but it has to be a normal part of the culture at a low background level in order for it to be culturally accepted enough to actually expand in times of war. That's why we didn't see it in the West following WW1 and WW2 - there was great need for it, but without it being "normal" already nobody would openly do it.

An interesting and common speculation. Alas I have not seen any scripture that said this.

I wonder if he would say that it would still be valid today in "times of war"?
He would answer yes.

I think that raises further problems, such as does it include all wars such as proxy wars? By default polygyny could now be justified as the UK is funding Ukraine.

He would answer yes.

I think that raises further problems, such as does it include all wars such as proxy wars? By default polygyny could now be justified as the UK is funding Ukraine.

He is at least halfway there, then. There seems to be always war, so you might as well support polygamy.

Back