• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 an ideal passage to discredit the anti-polygynists?

Most of the New Testament are letters - written to a group of people. Actually sometimes half a letter - because at times these letters are answering questions that we don’t have access to. We have a warning from Peter to tread carefully - because these things can be easily twisted. We are sometimes missing the context of a particular point Paul is making, because once again, it wasn’t written to us directly. These are letters to certain people - that lived a long time ago - and we are missing the context. Here’s just one example:

Galatians 4:10
You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years.

We don’t have the context. What were they celebrating? Surely it wasn’t Passover, because of verse 9:

Why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual principles of this world?

This can not be the appointed festivals of Yahuah. #1 - Paul continued to keep the festivals and instructed believers to keep Passover. So either he was a major hypocrite and liar - or as Peter says - be very careful because his letters are easily twisted to people’s own destruction.

#2. The appointed festivals written in the Scripture did not come from this world. They came from the Creator. So whatever Paul was talking about - it wasn’t things like the weekly Sabbath or Passover. Because these things are not “worldly.”

Since we do not know for 100% certainty the context of Galatians 4:10 - is it wise to create entire doctrines from this verse? Especially if those doctrines contradict the rest of scripture? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
The issue is simply when it comes to using scripture to contradict other church traditions. This does introduce a degree of circular reasoning, which will be immediately pointed out by a catholic. I am wondering whether there is a good answer to this objection.
I'm from an RC background and so is one of my wives. My other wife is from a liberal Methodist background. It is the convicting power of the Truth of the Bible that challenged and ultimately changed each of us. For me and my first wife that was over 40 years ago, and for my second wife 10 years ago. God accomplishes His purpose through His Word as He sees fit.

In the Bible we see it is people being confronted with what God actually says that changes their lives. Romans 9:18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens. We cannot save anyone but God can and does, and He does that through the hearing of the gospel.

Back