• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 an ideal passage to discredit the anti-polygynists?

Copied and pasted from a men's group I started concerning Patriarchy & Biblical Marriage

For me, the vast majority of people truly believe monogamy is the ethical, God honoring way. IF they truly believe they are honoring God, why would I be combative?

Ephesians 4:15
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

2 Timothy 2:24-25
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Instead let us speak the truth in love, not striving, gentle, patient, meekly instructing.

Remember the vast majority of these people are brothers and sisters in Christ and believe a lie. Combativeness will not win hearts or minds, that only entrenches the mind and hardens the heart. We should not be disparaging Christendom (His betrothed) with a slur (christendumb or whore church), that will not win them. It just makes the one speaking the insult look like an enemy. You don't win people by making yourself an enemy.

I understand there is much to revile in organized religion. But reviling His brides is not something I would feel comfortable doing. I'd be pretty pissed off if one of my wives was slinging mud like that at one of my other brides.

Hearing polygyny is supposedly acceptable is a complete inversion of what most people think to be right and good.

For polygyny to be a sin, it must be a deviation or violation from what God has said in His Word. Polygyny is usually claimed to be a sexual sin by those who oppose it. If so, we are told neither fornicators nor adulterers will inherit God's kingdom. It is written, Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God (1 Cor. 6:9-10).

What other class or type of sexual sin is there? If polygyny is a sexual sin, those men who were life-long polygynists cannot be in the kingdom of God. So, where are all the heroes of the faith, recorded in Hebrews chapter 11, who were polygynists? Where did they end up since we know God does not have a double standard?
Your post inspired this series...

The first of 20 shorts released today. One per day for next 20+ days. Designed to be quick punches of truth, easily shared and quickly watched...

Your post inspired this series...

The first of 20 shorts released today. One per day for next 20+ days. Designed to be quick punches of truth, easily shared and quickly watched...
Short, sharp, and undeniably true! Go Pete!

Does the future of this truth so much depend upon our militancy?
It's not an either/or, but what dominates is excusing inaction by justifying that it's not militancy.

Copied and pasted from a men's group I started concerning Patriarchy & Biblical Marriage
Again, though, it's a false dichotomy. Those who promote refusing to hide in the shadows are not promoting being combative.

Now, when one gets into the middle areas of the continuum that exists between inaction and combative coercion, one has a multitude of options in regard to demonstrating the legitimacy of polygyny.

Back in the tail end of horse-and-buggy days, how many people would be won over to the legitimacy of Model T's by those who pretended they didn't own them? Or even by those who only told very limited people about their car ownership but insisted on making private arguments complete with charts and graphs that required the listener to not only endure the presentation but have the listener be willing to be subjected to tests on whether they had the right attitude about transportation in general.

It may be that people are more open to change their beliefs, not when their confidence in their beliefs is directly shaken or challenged, but when their trust in the sources of their information get rattled.

This is very true.

COVID is a good example and so is the mRNA not-a-vaccine.

A lot of the compliant people trusted the media and their governments on these issues, they even joined in on the pogrom against the unvaccinated.

And then they got their six boosters and got sick from COVID anyway. And they noticed the BS from government and the media morph over time and they lost faith. Now a lot of them are losing faith in other topics such as immigration as we see happening in Netherlands and Ireland.

And this...

xoRWx81.jpeg

I think the ideal passage is the lack of an anti-passage. :)

Sort of like the Sherlock Homes dog that did not bark in the night. :)

The Bible term for polygamy is "marriage". It does not differentiate so neither should we.

The idea that it is something different is a Western Civ thing, not a Biblical thing.

It may be that people are more open to change their beliefs, not when their confidence in their beliefs is directly shaken or challenged, but when their trust in the sources of their information get rattled.
Like when the Whore Church told us "jesus did away with The Law," and - that means - he redefined marriage and prohibited polygyny. Obviously they lied.

Maybe that's we He exiled it. And it remains so today.

I haven't read everything in this post but one thing a buddy of mine and I found that fornication should just about be stricken from the bible. The same word in the original texts is also translated to harlotry, so if you remove fornication and replace it with harlotry or to be a harlot then quite a few of those passages goes from grey to black and white, at least they did for us.

I haven't read everything in this post but one thing a buddy of mine and I found that fornication should just about be stricken from the bible. The same word in the original texts is also translated to harlotry, so if you remove fornication and replace it with harlotry or to be a harlot then quite a few of those passages goes from grey to black and white, at least they did for us.
This is true of SO much of Scripture. Once you start to see it, it's amazing just how many of the original Hebrew words are key to understanding what it REALLY says. (Examples: words like "repent," which is actually just "turn", as in turn around, and go BACK to Him; 'torah' - not 'law,' but 'instruction;' 'divorce' - which isn't actually a verb at all, but a process - the real word is 'shalach' or put away; and of course, 'adultery' - which requires a married woman. And that's just off the top of my head...)

True, but harlotry was what was used in other areas of the bible, so it is what we used. Knowing what I know now, "Prohibited sexual acts" would indeed be a better fit and then it is specifically referring back to the written law vs implying being paid for a sexual act outside of marriage.

True, but harlotry was what was used in other areas of the bible, so it is what we used. Knowing what I know now, "Prohibited sexual acts" would indeed be a better fit and then it is specifically referring back to the written law vs implying being paid for a sexual act outside of marriage.
There are multiple word in Hebrew to describe a 'harlot' or the act of money-for-sex. But the prohibition for 'harlotry' is bigger still, in that it describes the Almost Identical concept of "idolatry' being equated with "adultery". A prohibited explicitly sexual relationship, but that's only where it STARTS.

Check out the Hebrew word for "set apart" (the shoresh, or 'root word' is equivalent to Q-D-sh) and it appears in MANY related forms (with slightly different vowel pointers for conjugation, different suffix, etc). Most usual example: Aaron's Head Band, which said "Qadosh L'Yahuah" or 'holy' to YHVH. Better still, SET APART to Yahuah.

[And, I have found that 'set apart' resonates far better to most Bible students than the word "holy" does, since most honestly don't have a clue what it REALLY means anyway. Not some guy in a funny robe with smoke-on-a-rope, or whatever. Or even a book with a pigskin cover...]

It gets interesting with the word "qadoshah" (English spellings vary) - but the word is used for a TEMPLE PROSTITUTE. (there is a male variant, too.) What?!!!

It means, literally, "set apart" - but the key is, to the WRONG 'god' (aka 'elohim,' with a small-e) for very wrong reasons, and thus a very prohibited act.

And THAT is an even MORE forbidden type of 'harlotry'.

PS> There's a link in the site of a teaching I did just last week or so, parsha "Vayeshev" that included the story of Judah and Tamar, and deals specifically with those words, because both are used in the text, and the difference, which you do NOT see in most English renderings, really helps make the main point of the story, and why he says about Tamar, "she is more tzadekah than I". More obedient to His Word. But - that marked the start of Judah beginning to "man up," I contend.

ahh, SUPER interesting!
Where is the link to that study. I still have a lot to learn regarding the original words!

ahh, SUPER interesting!
Where is the link to that study. I still have a lot to learn regarding the original words!

The BF thread is here: https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/...-word-torah-is-not-the-same-as-the-law.17046/

On a related topic from another thread you initiated, you might find this interesting as well:

It's why I much prefer to translate the Hebrew word 'torah" (even when it gets Capitalized) as "instruction" instead of 'law'. The Torah portion this week is a prime illustration, since it has a LOT of instruction, but no actual "commandments," or statutes, or judgments:

During a luncheon recently I was in a discussion with an RC man who made strong and bold claims about the RC religion upholding the teachings in the Bible. Among other things, we discussed the command God gave not to make, bow down to, or serve idols and the difference between what is written in the Bible regarding baptism and what is practised by RC's. Personally, I had never before encountered someone so knowledgeable in RC doctrine and who upheld the religion so adamantly. I got the impression he thought he had defended his position quite adequately, so I figured it was time to blow his canoe out of the water.

I asked him why the RC religion condemned polygyny since it is never condemned in scripture by God? Before he could reply, I asked why the Council of Trent declared an anathema on anyone who said polygyny was an acceptable form of marital relationship? Clearly he had never been challenged on this matter and struggled for a descent response. I didn't have my Bible with me, so opened an App on my phone and had him read 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10. I then asked him, Is polygyny a form of fornication or adultery? No clear answer!

I then had him read some of the names of the heroes of the faith in Hebrews 11 and pointed out many of these men were know polygynists. He waffled in his reply saying we all sin and God can forgive any sin. I pointed out these were not just brief moments of failure, like David's adultery with Bathsheba, but established lifestyles by these men. Clearly polygyny was an ongoing practise in their lives.

Time to nuke the canoe. I had him read the words of Jesus Christ in Matthew 8:11, "And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven." I took my phone from his hand and read again from 1 Cor. 6:9, 10 emphasising who will not be in the kingdom and then re-read Jesus's words from Matt. 8:11.

Sunk. He admitted he had never had anyone point these things out to him. He said he was going to go and study this whole subject. I thanked him for the opportunity to chat. He asked for my number so he could contact me again in the future.

After my encounter with this RC guy, I think 1 Cor. 6:9, 10 is an ideal passage to discredit anti-polygynists.

Last edited:
Back