• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is Birth Control A Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so another forum that I am on this subject has been brought up and I thought that it would be interesting to get others takes on the matter. Personally, I am on Birth Control per the request of my husband as we have only been together since November and we do not have the income to support another child nor does our current living situation provide adaquate room for another baby. Babies are also expensive and we are barely able to pay our bills at the current time so adding another child and those expenses is not something we can do realistically. I do know that God said to be fruitful and multiply and that children are a blessing. However, I think he would have us use wisdom when it comes to expanding our families and not having children just because and ending up on welfare to support them.
Liz

There is a movement known as "Quiver Full," and they propose that it is a sin, especially in regard to using what they term non-natural means.

Theologically though one must ask these questions:
1. Does the use of family planning methods equal biblical stewardship of one's resources?
2. Does it help to fulfill the earthly dominion mandate?

If a person can honestly answer yes then no it is not a sin. The Quiver Full persuasion would reject this position but most who do do so because of their personal goals being transcended to universal norms. Scripture's answer to this question is not a simple yes or a simple no as it requires for one to follow the leadership of the Spirit and as a woman your own covenant head.

I have had several people who are a part of the "Quiver Full" movement actually later in years come to a different perspective as they matured theologically. Wisdom is crucial and it plays into the whole doctrine of stewardship of one's body and resources. Thus, it is likely a sin to be irresponsible if one fails to actually take into account how much they can handle emotionally, financially, and even physically. As one former Quiver Full person admitted to me after his 40 something year old lady had her 6th or 7th child, "Well I now see that the doctrine of stewardship in wisdom is really important. I put my lady through something that almost killed her and thus almost hurt the entire family. I have seen the error of my ways in this."

The fundamental basis to the Quiver Full Movement is the present tense perspective of the Hebrew verse in Psalms were it says that children ARE a blessing. They then reason backwards to say not to desire children through active family planning is to reject a blessing of the Lord.

Essentially that is a flawed perspective both theologically and philosophically. What IS and what exists can only be what is taken from that verse. To insert into that verse the idea that it means future tense is to say more than the text and to insert an ought principle into only a reality or being or is issue. In other words, they are trying to build a case on what OUGHT TO BE by a verse dealing with what ONLY IS. It is a classical philosophical error of arguing for an ought from a verse that does not prescribe or give a mandate. In Hermeneutics classes we call this using a descriptive verse, which describes what is right now a blessing, as a prescriptive mandate to try and make it an issue of ought, which is bad theology and a poor hermeneutic.

It is rather dumb and foolish to seek to have another child if you cannot already provide for the one or ones you currently have. The Quiver Full movement often tries to counter that by saying one should live by faith. That is true in one sense but faith is also something that is to be a mature faith. And when one stays in step with the Spirit the Spirit may be leading a person to be content with what they currently have. To make an iron clad one size fits all demand on all is not wisdom nor is it a position that takes into account the presence and power and leadership of the Holy Spirit (see Gal. 5:23-25).

This is not to demean or undermine the idea that the Quiver Full people do have right, which is a high regard for the importance of the family and the great value of children. That is certainly a key principle that we all need to learn from them and their passion for children.

But wisdom, stewardship, and dominion are also key doctrines that sometimes those who argue against birth control fail to properly take into account. We've dealt with this in the seminary classroom and in the pastorate way too many times where a family is ruined or damaged because the father and or mother ran full steam ahead without due consideration to those doctrines above.

For example, one Quiver Full Family kept having more and more children under the God will provide by faith rule. By about the 7th child the father was having to work so many hours and take a traveling job that he was hardly ever at home. 80 to 90 hours a week, sometimes more, and sometimes ever never at home for months at a time. Eventually this led to the breakdown of the family. The mother wore out physically trying to homeschool, the children were without a dad, and eventually this mother and father lost their connection to each other and they eventually filed for divorce and the family was deeply damaged.

The moral of the story? Do not be persuaded by the one size fits all doctrine that says each and every person should have as many children as they possibly can! That perspective is woefully lacking in a holistic and comprehensive biblical theology of the purpose and creation of the family unit. Children that currently exist are indeed a blessing, but too much of it can become such a drain that the family is destroyed by the failure to be balanced with one's own abilities in the Lord, i.e. the doctrine of stewardship in the Lord and his grace over your lives to effectively take dominion over the earth.

I agree to some degree but to some I don't with this MP3 book. I think you know we have to use wisdom and not push our families into things that are not wise.
Liz

I understand what you are saying sweetthing26. It is very important to make plans for your family and your life. I do believe in obeying your husband in this area as in most others. It is a hard thing just like everything important is.

How I see it is kind of the Catholic view point. I think their theology on this is very close to perfect. It is VERY intertesting that until about 1930 every christian church had a stance against birth control even for married people. The Anglican church was the first to get loose about this teaching. Sounds like they are "pioneers" in this area similar to their gay marriage trail blazing!

Here is some more of an explanation on what I'm talking about. Here is a catholic lady talking to a meeting of catholic physicians:

http://catholicaudio.blogspot.com/2007/ ... y-not.html

Here is her brainy summary of Humane Vitae:

http://usccb.org/prolife/programs/rlp/HVProphetic88.pdf

here is that actual Encyclical letter by the pope predicting contraceptions consequences on society in general:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_ ... ae_en.html

"Not much experience is needed to be fully aware of human weakness and to understand that human beings—and especially the young, who are so exposed to temptation—need incentives to keep the moral law, and it is an evil thing to make it easy for them to break that law. Another effect that gives cause for alarm is that a man who grows accustomed to the use of contraceptive methods may forget the reverence due to a woman, and, disregarding her physical and emotional equilibrium, reduce her to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction of his own desires, no longer considering her as his partner whom he should surround with care and affection."
I don't suppose there has been any lowering of moral standards since 1969, do you? ;)

Another thing to consider is the type of birth control. Birth control pills and other hormonal forms of birth control carry definite risks to women's health both in the long term and short. Having babies also carries risks of course, many of which are preventable but there is proof that women who have given birth avoid lots of health problems such as certain cancers and osteoporosis as older ladies. They even suffer less depression than childless women.

I'm not trying to sway you to run out and get pregnant today but you know having a baby does not have to be so expensive. Ask all the illegal alien mommas down in Texas and elsewhere here in the U.S. They have to be careful everyday and work super hard but you see them in the store with their 5 kids in tow just happy as a clam! We pay their hospital bills to boot. If you breastfeed, use hand-me-downs and thrift shops you could practically have the kid for free!

It is VERY intertesting that until about 1930 every christian church had a stance against birth control even for married people.

That would not be correct. That is what the RC church says from there history. But, this institution did not exist until Constantine's rule and the early church father writings rarely address the matter. The burden of proof is on those who claim this was the teaching of he churches for the first 300 years before Constantine as to prove this it has to be made with very little historical evidence if any.

Many have tried to use the Onan issue as proof but that was about disobedience to the mandate of the Levirate law. But this story from Onan does show us that there was indeed this knowledge of family planning.

More than likely the silence of the majority of churches on this issue was because the churches left issues like this to the individual families and heads of the family and did not get involved in hose areas except possibly in rare occasions.

Itainteasy, I totally get where you are coming from. However, in our case it would be an expense that would be more expensive than my current method of Birth Control. I mean yes breastfeeding is something that we would be doing as well as hand me downs. However, the cost of all the prenatal stuff as well as making sure I am eating properly and also making sure that we have the room in the home to accommodate another child. At present, we do not have the room to accommodate a baby. We currently are seeking to find a home that would accommodate any additions but we are under our present lease until next summer. Therefore, a baby is simply out of the question as well as the fact that my husband wants me to have the opportunity to reach my educational goals before getting sidetracked with a baby.
Liz

I'm not sure what you mean by exception. Can you explain further?

I am holding in my hands right now the 38 volumes of church history from the time of the men who knew the apostles up until the 300's or so.

What we do find from their writings is the idea that children are a blessing and that people normally should have children.

We also find though some errors creeping in early, statements like sex is ONLY for the purpose of creating children and that sex outside of that purpose was evil, which contrasts the Judeo-Christian view that sex is both for pleasure in relations as well as for procreation, which can clearly be seen in the literal reading of the Song of Songs.

For example, Athenagorus around 175 AD made this comment "Each of us considers her his wife whom he has married according to the laws laid down by us--and he marries ONLY for the purpose of having children . . . . to us the procreation of children is the limit our our indulgence in sexual appetite."

It is these types of ideas that begin to flourish under the gnostic ideology (material and physical matter is evil, only the soul is good). You can see also how this spread in my article in the teaching articles section on How and Why Did Polygyny Become Uncommon.

Go here:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2063

The Roman Catholic church, and then by their use of the power of the sword to stomp out any who did not agree with them (like through the Crusades and more), gravitated towards this and even went to so far to claim that Priests should not join with a woman because in doing so that was not as good as as spiritual as being celibate. Why? Because they embraced this gnostic seed that began through the teachings of Simon the Magician in Acts 8 (along with his disciples that developed from him into church history).

There is no merit to those ideas at all and even more so, there is nothing in Scripture that can be used to support the idea that having sex for pleasure is wrong or sinful. Furthermore, that thinking runs against logic because if sexual relations were designed by God ONLY for the purpose of having children then there would not be the cessation of ovulation in women. But there is that time and yet sex is still holy, pleasurable, and endorsed by God for those of those years. The RC church as a whole embraced the gnostic view, as can be seen in their views on priestly celibacy as the more spiritual way, and thus they too embraced the birth control methods to be sin as they cannot see and accept the idea of sex being but of the flesh and not really all that good to begin with. The quotes by our dear friend of the Evangelical/Protestant movement Luther are simply what we call hang overs from Rome. The Reformers did well to get what they had right in regard to a return to the gospel. Yet they left many issues untouched and they were confused in some areas because it takes years to get rid of many traditional ideas. John Calvin did not even write a commentary on the book of Revelation despite the fact he wrote 22 volumes of commentaries. Why not? Because when he got to it he was so enamored with Roman ideology that he said that in light of his new approach the Bible he could not understand what it meant.

The point I am making is that the RC church, and thus its off shoots of Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Lutheranism, etc., kept some of those ideas that developed in Rome. Even if you embrace the idea that the early church fathers from 100 to 300 were of the Roman church system, which when reading their writings themselves does not support the idea, but even so taking that perspective of history one is still left with the idea that gnostic thought was gaining ground and it gained a stronghold over many by around the time of the solidification of power after Constantine merged the church and state together under one umbrella.

And in referring back to the Quiver Full movement it took a radical form and gained ground through a woman who claimed she was against feminism but some have rightly questioned was her "warrior attitude" a feminist act itself. Mary Pride wrote a book called: "The Way Home: Beyond Feminism Back to Reality" (1985). She then got Rick and Jan Hess to write "a Full Quiver: Family Planning and the Lordship of Christ" (1989). Then in 1989 Charles Provan wrote "The Bible and Birth Control."

Before these works many couples throughout the ages used natural family planning methods, even long before any medical means were available to be used. But with the dawn of these new novel works the movement gained an ideology base that spread through this teaching that it was sin to limit the number of children one could have, that to do so was not to trust God, and that God opens and closes the womb naturally without the need for family planning methods.

There fourfold syllogism would be:
1. All children are a blessing and because of that 2. We should thus try to have as many of those blessings as possible. 3. Any acts of intervention are sin.
4. Medicine and other methods show a lack of trust in God.

The primary verse comes from Psalm 127 where it says: "Children ARE a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward . . . . Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

As noted earlier they build from a descriptive verse a prescriptive command and that is terrible hermeneutics. What IS currently does not make a demand or a command as to one's actions for the future. Thus just because one has children that are a blessing does not mean the text is mandating or commanding a person to seek to have more.

Also, those who make this case are often very inconsistent. They in one sentence claim that God is in control of the whom by his sovereign hand and thus medicine is not needed to govern conception. But then the same will often use medicine for other sicknesses. Is not the same God also sovereign over sickness and can he not heal without medical means? Is Tylenol, advil, anti-biotics (which are from natural resources), and other forms of medical means (even what is so-called natural remedies) also sinful? To latch onto one position yet to ignore other positions with medical means shows there is a bias in their approach.

Many believe it was a feministic error of Mary Pride just a reverse type of feminism. She reacted so strongly to one error, possibly the disdain people had towards children and being selfish, that as a woman she read back into the Bible her own desires and made the Bible say more than it really said. This is a common problem when opposing something. People are prone to over-react and in the counter of a true problem that over-counter and create a new problem. This seems to be what Mary Pride did.

Others have reasoned that Mary Pride read into the Bible her own experiential desires for all women and then used the Bible to build her case of her own experiential desires. In other words, women naturally are geared and hardwired towards a deeper desire for children, and thus with Mary Pride's own womanly nature guiding her those presuppositions governed her as she read the Bible and thus her biases bled into her interpretive conclusions.

That are all valid critiques that one must consider when reflecting over the almost at times aggressive push that has come forth from the Quiver Full mentality advocates. Some, though not all, have argued so strongly for it it is as if anger is really driving some in the movement instead of simple biblical fidelity, as if they are indeed in reactionary mode. And history has shown us that those in reactionary mode often overstate their case because of the excess emotional element that enters into their defense.

Their third point that any intervention is an act of sin has no biblical verse anywhere in the Bible to support that. Onan's case cannot be used because it was a restricted law specifically for the Levirate situation. Thus a universal law for all people at all times can be pulled from that verse. And without that verse there is nothing in the Scriptures, even in the 613 laws of Moses, or elsewhere that places a law on someone that says intervention techniques are sinful.

And that is why I and others call the real novelty to this new idea that has been set forth by those of the Quiver Full movement. It is not per se wrong to have numerous children. Yet likewise, it is not wrong either for a family to have only one or a few children. The command to be fruitful and multiply could be fulfilled with one, two, or more children as no set number is prescribed by any text nor is there a hint of a goal or a command not to use wisdom as one governs his family in good stewardship principles.

In summary, what we can learn from the Quiver Full movement is that the total and complete rejection of wanting children conflicts with the overall biblical data. The goal ought to be to have children if possible in one way or another. This fits with both the take dominion phrase of Genesis and the Great Commission phrase by Christ for making disciples. We ought to stress to people the need to create children in order to add them to the kingdom of God through discipleship. That is a healthy attitude and balance.

Yet too we ought to stress balance and the use of wisdom as one examines his own ability, resources, and current state. Not to do this is indeed a violation of the wisdom principles as set forth in Proverbs. In Proverbs 1:22 we are told fools hate knowledge. Is it not medical knowledge that we use at times in other areas to govern our bodies? If so it might also tell us what God thinks if we fail to use the gifts of his common grace knowledge that he has give to us in the field of reproductive technology. One cannot read Proverbs 2 either without seeing the high value God places on wisdom, discretion, and knowledge. And again proverbs 3 we find the benefits of wisdom. It is "more precious than jewels, better than gold, and nothing one desires can compare with her" 3:14-15).

And it is this principle that is so often left out in the Quiver Full Movement, wisdom to use the gifts of knowledge (whether that be through natural methods or medical methods) the Lord has given to us in order to be wise stewards of our time, energy, and resources.

I think the Quiver Full movement recognized a problem among many, a selfish desire where they had no desire to procreate. They noticed that but then overreacted and created another problem too that if left unchecked can destroy the family too. it is a classic over correction to a real problem. Thus, a better and more balanced approach that affirms both the blessing of children as well as the need for wise stewardship. When those two truths are applied and taught along with the leadership of the Spirit better decisions will be made by all and the family as a whole will be stronger for it.

I agree that since the beginning of time people have been trying to avoid having babies when they didn't want them. In the bible there is no set rule where it says you shall absolutely avoid birth control. There is not even one instance of anyone ever even trying this except for Onan who was killed for it-wether for it directly or for his breaking of the law. If he had just not wanted to marry her and bring up seed for his dead brother there were other ways to get out of it that the law allowed for, no?

It does say several times that the lord "opens up the womb". It says God "shut" Hannah's womb. Not that Hannah shut it herself because she needed to finish college first! I'm not trying to be a wiseacre, really. I just really think this birth control acceptance is a modern concept, not a biblical one. I do not think sex is just for making babies-that is a straw man argument. Nor do I think everyone should try as hard as possible to have as many babies at the most inoportune moments.

I think that deliberatly sterlizing yourself (unless it is a lifesaving measure) wether temporarily or permanently is not biblical. There is no precedent for that and much precedent for God being very involved in this personal area of your life just like in so many other areas. People pray about jobs, schools, purchases etc, but unless you are desperately infertile then having kids is a "personal choice" and prayer and bible study never enters into it. People also went to physicians and healers in the bible-different kinds and it was notneccesarily an abberation like Onan. Pregnancy is not a disease after all.

I definitely think that I am missing something though, why would God not have given more direction in this topic? Maybe same reason that Jesus didn't use the word Polygamy? I don't know. It just doesn't say ever in the bible every man-head of his house purposes the number of children he should have-it's just not there. God brings them and you have them-just like church-you don't choose who comes you just teach and preach when they do. Is that too simplistic of me?

Personally I could not imagine taking on another wife; and then requesting her to use birth control due to me not being able to afford another child. That would definitely be wrong for me. If I seek to have another wife, and find a woman to join me, she has a right to shelter, food, clothing and children (God-willing).

People can write as many words as they like justifying their use of birth control, but as for me and my house, never have and (hopefully) never will.

Most of the people reading this post will be living in first-world countries, with the highest standard of living not only today but in the history of humanity. Hence most people could afford children if they really wanted to.

I think Christian's use of birth control is a classic case of conforming to the pattern of this world.

Still, these are my personal opinions and I would not go so far as to declare it a sin. How about 'grievous error'?

ylop

If a man and his women decide to limit the blessings of God in their life, then that is their free-will choice but not a sin. Today I see my grandchildren and grand-nieces and desire strongly again His blessing. I am at the point of being able (finally) to afford quite a few more but am left with repentance instead for permanent limitting of children 23 years ago. The flip side of that was having to pay child support for only ten years. ;)
Perhaps another way to look at it is this: if I had an orchard of 200 apple trees(doesn't everyone have apple trees?) but only had the ability to harvest 100 of those and had no resources to hire others' help, would it not be foolish to keep planting more seedlings? The resultant neglect of a beautiful orchard could be seen as foolishness even to the world. In a BF mindset the answer could be to covenant with two or more help-meets for "orchard work." It is no longer birth control but field and crop rotation??!! :lol: In every case the husbandman should make the call in collaboration with his lovely garden.
Maddog

these are my personal opinions and I would not go so far as to declare it a sin

Indeed it is a "personal" issue, and thus a Romans 14 issue where the person's conscience guides and not a universal biblical law for all people at all times in all places.

And that is where people err on both sides. The ones using some type of personal stewardship method often want to say those who do not are in sin or in error. That is not always the case.

But on the other side those who use no plan or methods sometimes want to say those who do are in sin or error. That too is not always the case.

The biblical position is from Romans 14 under the premise of personal application of wisdom. Just like one person may be free in their conscience to drink alcohol and another may not be so too one head of a family may have the desire and resources and ability to have many children whereas another one may have the desire, ability, and resources to have some but not as many and others may have only a desire for a few. All positions are free so long as the perspective does not become one of a universal law for all people at all times in all places in all circumstances. That is the unbiblical position and one that cannot be defended from either side of the coin in what is not directly stated by the Bible.

People can write as many words as they like justifying their use of birth control, but as for me and my house, never have and (hopefully) never will.

And each family is free to make those personal decisions. No person is more holy if they do and less holy if they don't in the choice in and of itself. The Lord may lead one family one direction for a set of reasons and another family another way because of a different set of needs and circumstances. The sin issue would be when one person tries to make this a universal law from either side. And that is why there is so often so much heat over these issues because people read the bible and by their personal conscience they can't see how and why anyone could think differently than they do because they read the Bible with their conscience as the ruling factor in the interpretive process. And thus their personal conclusions, which may indeed be right for them, are elevated above personal positions to universal norms. That was the error of the Quiver Full Movement in general.

In every case the husbandman should make the call in collaboration with his lovely garden.

That would be indeed the plan of wisdom. Amen!

Sometimes when I read things about children/blessings/birth control, in all sorts of publications, it seems that some folks premise their "against birth control' case in a way that suggests that children are the 'only' way God blesses us. I don't really understand that. Folks don't always want children for a variety of reasons. My husband and I have never wanted more than the 2 we have and sure don't regret that. I'm glad we had the choice to limit our family and God blesses us greatly every day anyway. I sure wouldn't want to have kids that I knowingly couldn't support properly.

Having offspring that we have no capacity to support either mentally, physically, or spiritually is akin to the foolish(not sinful) builder. Indeed God's blessings come in other forms as well. The OP was about BC being a sin but you make a good point.
Maddog

The problem is that christians don't put the same kinds of limits on other blessings. If God blesses you with money, property, gifts, talents or opportunities no one ever says. "I am sure glad God only blessed me with $20,000 a year instead of $100,000! I couldn't handle so many blessings!" I am glad my husband has 9 kids. According to some people in the world his first wife and kids should have already starved to death! I am glad I have 2 and hope we have 10 more! God doesn't give you more than you can handle without giving you the strength and the resources to handle it. I would rather have triplets than have a car/nice furniture/nice clothes/retirement fund. call me crazy.

I think that a large number of kids, raised in a Godly way is the BEST retirement fund around by the way (If one of your kids turns out to be a selfish jerk then you can share in family life with another one as an old grandpa/grandma). I know it's easier said than done. I homeschooled my kids as a single mom working part time and was occasionally near homeless but am I glad my kids are alive? Would I raise more even as a very poor person? I am praying for the blessing and the privilege to just be considered halfway worthy of doing that! NOTHING else I could do will last for an eternity.

The problem is that christians don't put the same kinds of limits on other blessings.

Well not exactly true. Many do indeed do this. Take for example the spiritual gifts. They are sovereignly administered (1 Cor. 12:11). Some have one some have two some have more. But each is to be content with what they have and be good stewards of what they have.

As for the money illustration, people do that all the time. People will actually, and wisely, choose to limit how much they make. Some people will use their minds and resources to earn millions, others will use their minds and resources to earn average levels of income because they have higher priorities than money.

Some will work 12 years to 16 years to become a medical doctor. Others will choose to work 4 years and become a medical assistant who serves the patient under the doctor's order. So yes people do limit ho much they make by an active choice.

A business entrepreneur will choose to work a 40 hour week though he could work 80 to 90 and earn more money. But he chooses to limit his time and earnings in order to spend time with his family and/or other pursuits of interest in life.

These are all common examples where people do limit themselves from blessings of the Lord in regard to money.

Your illustration precludes the idea of the work required to gain money in a normal circumstance and sets the illustration on a plain of if money were just given out freely with no work required to it.

A child is certainly a gift and a blessing but he or she is also a lot of work and responsibility. Choosing to limit one's family is not inconsistent with choosing what profession one will enter and what salary will be earned in it. In looking at it from that angle it can actually confirm the point that with each gift one must prepare and plan accordingly in wisdom as a good steward of the gift.

A vehicle is a gift as it helps us to travel. But people do not in general, if wise and prudent, go out and buy 10 cars. Having a boat is a lot of fun and can be a great gift but too many will mean some will just sit there with no time to be put to use in the water and then comes the taxes to be paid on them while getting no use out of all of them if too many are obtained.

We purposefully choose to limit ourselves and our gifts in many many ways on a regular basis:
-money
-material items
-food
-exercise
-clothes
-luxury items

But now of course, for women and shoes now that is another story...... :lol: ;) maybe that item there is no limit :D
Just joking there.

In reality we do choose to limit our gifts that we receive and even give on a regular basis in almost every area of life. That is why I say that we cannot use the Bible as the reason as the sole source for directives to people to have as many children as we can.

As for your case, you seem to have a strong desire in this area, which can be holy and righteous. But those desires cannot be placed on every other woman as the best or the only right desire or the more holy set of desires. Other ideas have to be considered and examined and no one size answer fits all.

Are all children that currently exist a blessing in one sense or another? Sure! But should a person conclude from that they should just have as many children as they possibly can? Not at all, as that type of approach is irresponsible. And some of us taxpayers are actually have to pay and support with food stamps those who have been too irresponsible in this area by their lack of responsibility in family planning.

I am NOT suggesting that is you in any way in that regard as you sound like a hard worker and to that I am thankful for though I do wish you were not having to work as hard as you are as it sounds like it has been tough at times.

However, to the original point, yes in many ways we do limit our blessing each and every day. Too much of any good thing can become a vice and problem and a manifestation of our own greed. A person who continues to have children without being able to provide for the children is accomplishing two things: (1) a new life that because it is life is a blessing, (2) yet if the people are unable to provide adequate time and attention or even food for the child then they have brought a blessing into the word in which they are not so much of a blessing to as parents! Thus this is a classic issue of learning to "walk in step with the Spirit" as Paul and the apostles taught us.

This is a fair explanation. Thinking about it further, perhaps not neccesarily biblically, maybe it not such a good idea to compare kids to other blessings like money, jobs, cars, etc. after all! Don't mean to change the rules on you! I understand your position as it is a real world position. I am very inspired by this family and their statement about it on their family website:

http://gilbatesfamily.com/faqs/

I will look over that site and ponder what they have to say about it. Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back