• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is it ok to let people know when you fast.

My wife had a question concerning fasting that I thought was quite obvious as did she. The questions was Do we let other christians know when we fast. In the beatitudes Jesus seems pretty straight forward when disscussing this subject.

Matt.6
[16] Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
[17] But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
[18] That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Especially 18 really drives it home for me. Apear not to Fast unto men but apear to fast only unto the father who sees you in secret. Secret is the key word to me. Kruptos concealed hidden or secret. That means only God knows and everyone else would be in the dark (with the exception of those you are one flesh with).

I really want to hear everyone elses thoughts on this subject. Thank you for your time. God bless.

I think the passage is exactly as you said. We should not make it obvious to others when we fast. I certainly wouldn't lie or avoid the issue if it came up, but neither would I bring it to anyone's attention either. I actually had a situation occur a few years ago when I was fasting and a co-worker wouldn't let up on my eating something, until I finally had to explain I was fasting and praying about something. The context of the passage is regarding those who fast and are deliberately drawing attention to themselves.

David

Thanks for posting guys. I think you are right about the prodding issue. You should share if someone asks but that is why we are not to have a sad countenance. So that people will not know. If they dont know they will not ask. I have found if someone offers food I just tell them you do not feel like eating. It is not a lie and they do not know you are fasting. It works great. If they press the issue just quote all things in moderation. after that they will leave you alone.

The act of allowing people to know about ones’ fasting for the purpose of exhorting others to participate is one aspect of Scriptural fasting

You cannot base a doctrine on one scripture.

There are many times throughout the bible that the people of God fasted publicly. These acts were both pre and post Matthew 6:16, as we will see.

Public known fasts pre Matthew 6:16: (Nothing secretive about these fasts by God’s people)

2Ch 20:1 It came to pass after this also, that the children of Moab, and the children of Ammon, and with them other beside the Ammonites, came against Jehoshaphat to battle.
2Ch 20:2 Then there came some that told Jehoshaphat, saying, There cometh a great multitude against thee from beyond the sea on this side Syria; and, behold, they be in Hazazontamar, which is Engedi.
2Ch 20:3 And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah.

Ezr 8:21 Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance.

Est 4:15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,
Est 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Est 4:17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.
Est 4:15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,
Est 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Est 4:17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.

Psa 35:13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.

Joe 1:14 Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,
Joe 2:15 Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:

Jon 3:5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.

Zec 8:19 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; The fast of the fourth month, and the fast of the fifth, and the fast of the seventh, and the fast of the tenth, shall be to the house of Judah joy and gladness, and cheerful feasts; therefore love the truth and peace.

Publicly known fasts-post Matthew 6:16: (Nothing secretive about these fasts by God’s people)

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Act 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Act 14:21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
Act 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
Act 14:23 And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

2Co 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
2Co 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
2Co 6:3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
2Co 6:4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
2Co 6:5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
2Co 6:6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
2Co 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
2Co 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
2Co 6:9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
2Co 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

2Co 11:24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
2Co 11:25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
2Co 11:26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
2Co 11:27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

I submit that the scripture Matthew was about a heart attitude. Jesus was calling His disciples to “Be not like the hypocrites.”

If you take this scripture as the only authority about fasting then you have to do likewise about praying. The scripture states in the exact same context:

Mat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

This kind of reasoning would discourage anyone from praying publicly!

Sweet Lissa

Hey Lissa,
Seeing as I am having problems posting, I hope this goes through and I wanted to say Great answer. It reminds me of 3 great men that I have studied about, them being President Jefferson Davis, Gen. Robert E. Lee and Gen. " Stonewall" Jackson. Several times during the course of the War for Southern Independence ( thats the Civil War to those who call it by it's wrong name :) ) These great men of God would call for fasting and prayer, not only from their troops but from the Confederate Nation as well. Thanks Lissa for reminding me of this. From my own opinion, the scripture in question is talking about how one should act when fasting, that they should not go out and make a showing that they are, but it does not stop us from sharing our concerns with others of like mind and asking them to join us in fasting, if they wish to, as a means of seeking Yahweh's direction and help in various matters.

jest my 2 cents from out here in the Gulf

correct analysis, y'all
it wasn't that people knew these folks were fasting, it was the attitude of "look at me, how righteous I am for fasting, I want you to notice it and respect me" that was the problem.

Lissa,

Good job! Taking a broader look at Scriptural fasting brings us to a more balanced understanding of the subject.

Sure, we should not fast merely to be seen. That is based upon spiritual pride. However, we are not to pray in public merely to be seen either. Jesus was dealing with the heart of those he was teaching. Primarily, he was concerned with improper motives. The underlining principle is that we are not to do any spiritual act merely to be seen.

Here are some others we should think about are motives:

1. Posting on a board
2. Going on television
3. Talking on a radio
4. Holding a crusade
5. Getting a college degree
6. Writing a book
7. Having a website
8. Pastoring a church
9. Going on U-tube
10. Buying a car
11. Having a Bible Study
12. etc.....

None of these things I listed are necessarily wrong. However, if the person that is doing it is to "show" others something good about themselves, the motive is wrong! We are not are own! We have been bought with a price! Our motives should only be for the glory of God!!!

welltan said:
Fasting can be from something other than food. Fasting from television is a remarkable experience, especially for a family as a whole.

I do not know if I would call that "fasting", but it certainly is a noble abstaining from an activity that steals God's time.

Here is an interesting revision of the the 23rd Psalm (not really). It is called the 23rd channel:

THE TV is my shepherd I shall not want,
It makes me lie down on the sofa,
It leads me away from the scriptures,
It damages my soul.

It leads me in the path of sex and
violence for the sponsor's sake,
Yea, though I walk in the shadow of
my Christian responsibilities, there will be
no interruption for the TV is with me,
It's cable and remote control,
they comfort me,
It prepares a commercial before me in
the presence of my worldliness.

It anoints my head with humanism,
my coveting runneth over,
Surely laziness and ignorance shall
follow me all the days of my life,
And, I shall dwell in my house
watching TV forever, Amen.

Brother Randy,

My sleep depraved mind got the jest of your post. That was a good one :lol:
You are just too funny. Nice talking to ya the other day.

None of these things I listed are necessarily wrong.

I disagree. Can there be group fastings sure. But if you fast and make it known in a public arena you are not fasting in secret.

Matt.6
[16] Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
[18] That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

If a group fasts then the whole group fast for God. But if one in the group lets its know that they fast he does it to be seen by men. Jesus said to keep fasting a secret. So we should keep it a secret.

Luke.6
[46] And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Brother sixth_heretic,
I seem to be missing something in your last post, though it just might be that I have had only about 8 hr sleep in 5 days. Just what do you disagree with from Brother Rands previous post??? Just asking!!!!!

I assum that you do agree that it is ok for a person to ask fellow believers to join them in fasting as that person in question seeks an answer from the Lord. I also assume that you do agree that group fast done , say by a church or other group of believers, is ok, but if a person jumps up on their soap box in the middle of the street and screams that they are fasting, that this is wrong.

sixth_heretic said:
None of these things I listed are necessarily wrong.

I disagree. Can there be group fastings sure. But if you fast and make it known in a public arena you are not fasting in secret.

Matt.6

If a group fasts then the whole group fast for God. But if one in the group lets its know that they fast he does it to be seen by men. Jesus said to keep fasting a secret. So we should keep it a secret.

Luke.6
[46] And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Hello,

If a group fasts it obviously is not a "secret" to others. If an individual or group encourages others to fast (like others did throughout the Scriptures) this is not wrong either - unless one believes that the Godly examples in the Bible are wrong and Scripture contradicts itself.

Jesus also said to keep prayer a secret too (Matthew 6:6), but we know Jesus, Paul and the disciples prayed in public. Thus, establishing the balanced way of looking at the fasting passage (since it was said in the same breath). We know that Jesus did pray in secret too, but by saying what He said in Matthew 6:6 He was not establishing a rule of no public praying. He prayed both secretly and publicly, and we are to fast both secretly and publicly too!

The view that you are taking is considered a logical fallacy and is referred to as "False disjunctions: an improper appeal to the law of the excluded middle". This is where one assumes that a passage is to be interpreted as a false either/or requirement when complementary passages help us to see a more complete balanced view.

Matt.6

See, if I'm walking down the street with a sad face, looking all like this so people will notice, that is what Yahushua is addressing. Publically looking like one is fasting so people will notice is no worse than secretly thinking you are extra holy for not letting anyone know you are fasting.
Dude, I think you are focusing so close on certain issues you are missing the big picture.

My sister's family went without Television for several years. They had one, but used it only to watch movies. They were very careful about the movies they rented. They finally relaxed things a couple of years ago, but still don't watch nearly as much as normal people do. They homeschool and are very active in their church. They don't believe in Poly though.

I barely watch TV. I turn it on about once a week.

LIssa

I think when we read Matthew 6 in its context, it's obvious that Jesus was speaking about the correct motive of the heart of the individual, not about keeping secrets specifically.

Matt. 6:1a: "Beware of doing your kind deeds before men, in order to be seen by them."

Matt. 6:5a: "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the congregations and on the corners of the streets, to be seen by men."

Matt. 6:16a: "And when you fast, do not be sad-faced like the hypocrites. For they disfigure their faces so that they appear to be fasting to men."

In each of these passages, Jesus calls out the hypocrites for their public display of "holier than thou"-ness. The true issue here is self-righteousness on display for public recognition. We should be able to do good deeds, pray and fast without any concern whatsoever for what anyone thinks, but Jesus was warning against having an improper motive by hypocritically parading ourselves among our peers. Our only righteousness is in Him. It's easy to lose sight of that, and this is why He told His followers to "beware". Just a thought.

David

Back