• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is losing a female friend worth mentioning PM

Sevensins

Recently I mentioned PM to a mutual friend of my wifes and mine. I wasnt trying to direct her in the PM direction just as a discussion with a Christian. Now she is asking us to not contact her again. I dont even know if she is upset because she felt I was approaching her or the thought of PM. I wouldnt contact her even to ask. I have lost a friend.

Sounds like it's her decision, not yours. Sad as it is you might as well let it go. Christian pride is a nasty beast to deal with.

This is not uncommon. We have been through this as well, even when we did not approach them. There have been times when someone found out about our beliefs and you could just tell that they look at you differently, like you are dirty or something. It is really sad. I will pray for you. If it makes you feel better, this happens with family members, shunning you when they find out about your stance, not even if you are living it. It is not personal, although it feels that way.

Paul

thanks for responding... i have learned a lesson... Keep your mouth shut and no one can tell you that you are wrong...

With apologies, may I suggest that that's less-than-the-best lesson. In my humble opinion, a better lesson would be that ...

The quantity of friends may initially go down, but the quality will go up. Quantity (with bhe better quality) will return in time.

So transparency / openness remains preferable. (Again in my opinion and experience.)

Besides, what kind of friendships are built on a lie? Of seeming to be other than you are? Ick!

So, to answer your question, I think "Yes.", though of course we keep searching for ways to present that will get better results and NOT result in broken relationships.

Anndrea lost a good freind early on because of polygyny, it was very hard on her, but we have made new friends and had friends stick by us. In the long run the best kind of friends take you for who you are. Its hard to lose a freind, but its always worth losing a freind in the name of transparency whatever the topic may be.

I've got to weigh in with Cecil here as well.

What kind of a "friend" is it -- especially a self-proclaimed "Christian" -- who will break fellowship with you because you are able to read His Word honestly, and speak His Truth about what He says?

(A whole LOT of Scripture comes to mind, from our Savior's observation that we would be HATED for His Name's sake, to the fact that "friendship with the world is enmity with YHVH", and so forth.)

Back