• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is Polygyny apart of a Eve's punishment?

The opposition is explained in 1 Timothy 4:3. If anyone forbids marriage they have been deceived by demonic teachings. We know that God's Moral Law is Holy and Perfect. Since the law allows a man to multiply wives - then it can not be sin. If you wish to call it a sin - then remember the prophet Isaiah wrote "Woe to those that call good evil." Many unbelievers will gladly hate on God's Holy Law. Especially the LGBT community. But it's a surprise that Christians that profess - "Love the Lord Jesus" have fallen into this deception - ignorantly or not.

Today's culture doesn't see any problem with folks like Leonardo DiCaprio sleeping and partying with perhaps hundreds of different women - only to dump them and replace them with new ones. But if a man wishes to marry more than one woman; thereby providing for her with food, shelter, clothing, and martial duties for life - he's the one that's demonic and a sinner in today's society.

So why try to please and be part of such a society that's so hateful against God? That's where being gentle as a dove, but wise as a serpent comes in. If any man is to purse this path (God says marriage is a blessing, and the person has found favor with God), then it's best to stay stealthy in terms of broadcasting this to the public. Don't throw your pearls before swine.

If the women submit and humble themselves before God and their husband - they will see and witness many benefits that come with this family structure. Such as more kids in the house, and children are a blessing. More help with household tasks. More companionship within the household besides just the husband and kids. But someone else she can talk to and have coffee with. My grandma is very old, and she constantly complains about being alone. Her husband died a long time ago. Her kids have grown up, but try to visit often. But if she came from a polygamous family unit - I can't help but wonder how different and better her life would be with someone she can always talk and relate to.

All praise to the wisdom of Lord Jesus Christ - to the glory of God the Father.

Last edited:
Depending on your translation, just to clarify. Considering the sorrow women associate with polygyny and sharing a "man" and how it relates to "I will greatly multiply your sorrow".

Depending on your translation, just to clarify. Considering the sorrow women associate with polygyny and sharing a "man" and how it relates to "I will greatly multiply your sorrow".
"I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children."

1 Timothy 2:11-15

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

It would still be a stretch to say that polygamy specifically was the punishment. Because as others noted - God presents himself as a polygamist. Instead it's the commandment to be submissive even when it's against her own will. She doesn't have the authority to go against her husband's will - as long as it's not something that violates God's Holy Law - such as the husband commanding her to do an abortion.

Can you be specific about what you are actually looking for? You made the post about opposition to polygamy, complained when there were no responses, then ignored the response that you did get and then made this post.

It could be said that Eve was the first woman to be given to a man by her father. This is the pattern from which polygyny develops. As Jesus says in Matthew 24:38, this pattern of "marrying and given in marriage". The marrying(taking in ownership) party is the husband, and the given in marriage party is the woman. Adam and Eve were not made for each other, it was Eve that was made for Adam. That is the correct angle to look at marriage from.

If God had given him another help meet in the garden nothing would of been wrong with that. We know this based on His laws. I suspect He didn't because He wanted one lineage of people on the earth, especially when taking in account the promise of Eve's 'seed' bruising the serpent's head in Gen 3:15.

At a time in history it was reasonable for a man to give more than one of his daughters to the same man if he was the right one, as with the case of Laban.

This verse is after Jacob has already received Leah, and is now being given Rachel. Notice how Laban felt that it would be 'better' if he gave this daughter to him as well.

“And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭29‬:‭19‬

Polygyny is hard baked and inherent to the structure of marriage, even in the beginning. Even if not explored the man has the authority to 'take' another into his possession, or be 'given' one.

And this does NOT mean that the woman is just an object to be given, but to the man, another person to share his love and providence with, entrusted to him by their father. Each member of the church to God is a possession and equally, a person of immeasurable worth, as with the husband and his wives.

Last edited:
No. God blessed men with wives, therefore it can't be a curse or punishment.

It is a blessing. You're reading into the text something that isn't there.

I don't believe it is.

On the other hand, I think it (like many things) might be a consequence of the Fall. This is pretty speculative, but It might not exist had Adam not fallen.

It doesn't really matter. Tons of legitimate things exist in this world that might not if the world had not fallen. Remarriage after the death of a spouse is an example. It is clearly legitimate (and even good) but there would be no need for it in a world where death did not exist.

The Law of God clearly permits polygyny, and that means that it can be.a good thing.

I should also point out this is not something I believe or think scripture supports, but simply a thought that came to mind while doing research into PM experiences, as most experiences you can readily find are negative. I could see it being used as some sort of argument to paint polygyny in a dark light and thought I would present it to see what kind of counter arguments are given.

I don't believe it is.

On the other hand, I think it (like many things) might be a consequence of the Fall. This is pretty speculative, but It might not exist had Adam not fallen.

It doesn't really matter. Tons of legitimate things exist in this world that might not if the world had not fallen. Remarriage after the death of a spouse is an example. It is clearly legitimate (and even good) but there would be no need for it in a world where death did not exist.

The Law of God clearly permits polygyny, and that means that it can be.a good thing.
I just now thought of the biggest Good that in some sense is a consequence of the Fall, that would not exist if Adam did not transgress. It is the redemption that is in Jesus Christ!

I just now thought of the biggest Good that in some sense is a consequence of the Fall, that would not exist if Adam did not transgress. It is the redemption that is in Jesus Christ!
The blessing that will ultimately come is the new heaven and new earth where all the redeemed will dwell (cf. Rev. 21:1-5). Unlike the situation Adam and Eve had at the beginning, there will be no sin and no opportunity to sin in the new creation, so yes, it is a good outcome.

The multiplication of grief in Genesis 3:16 is specifically associated with pregnancy and childbirth.

I understand that our self-pitying gynocentric feminist culture encourages women to look under every rock for the purpose of bolstering the notion that to be a woman is to be globally aggrieved, but, in addition to the fact that most aspects of life aren't appropriately interpreted as justification for defining oneself as a victim, polygyny is never in Scripture noted as negative, much less a punishment.

Polygyny is just one of numerous forms of marriage considered legitimate by the Word of God. Marriage in general always has the potential to be challenging, and no difficulty is inherent in uncovering examples of people being married who amplify life's hardships for their spouses, but no form of marriage is the culprit; it can simply be understood as human nature or imperfection.

In fact, I believe YHWH makes it quite clear in Scripture that, diametrically opposed to being a punishment, polygyny is a prescribed remedy to correct other human failings and life circumstances that make life difficult. Specifically, His Word makes it clear that polygyny is intended to provide protective provision and due benevolence to widows, as well as ensuring care for those widows' orphan children.

The multiplication of grief in Genesis 3:16 is specifically associated with pregnancy and childbirth.

I understand that our self-pitying gynocentric feminist culture encourages women to look under every rock for the purpose of bolstering the notion that to be a woman is to be globally aggrieved, but, in addition to the fact that most aspects of life aren't appropriately interpreted as justification for defining oneself as a victim, polygyny is never in Scripture noted as negative, much less a punishment.

Polygyny is just one of numerous forms of marriage considered legitimate by the Word of God. Marriage in general always has the potential to be challenging, and no difficulty is inherent in uncovering examples of people being married who amplify life's hardships for their spouses, but no form of marriage is the culprit; it can simply be understood as human nature or imperfection.

In fact, I believe YHWH makes it quite clear in Scripture that, diametrically opposed to being a punishment, polygyny is a prescribed remedy to correct other human failings and life circumstances that make life difficult. Specifically, His Word makes it clear that polygyny is intended to provide protective provision and due benevolence to widows, as well as ensuring care for those widows' orphan children.
My thoughts as well. Very well said.

I should also point out this is not something I believe or think scripture supports, but simply a thought that came to mind while doing research into PM experiences, as most experiences you can readily find are negative. I could see it being used as some sort of argument to paint polygyny in a dark light and thought I would present it to see what kind of counter arguments are given.
I have a tendency to take things at face value. Thus I thought that you were actually posting this as an understanding that you had come to.
Silly me. 😜

Back