• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is the term Old Covenant ever mentioned in Scripture?

Have we lost sight of the only thing that really matters? Being saved.
Acts 16:31 They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
Not how to do a fire right. And I am pretty sure they couldn't tell you a lot about any other Law either, but that didn't seem to matter to Paul and Silas.
Your comment is totally fine Rock for those who don't believe the Torah is binding today (maybe half of the peeps on this site or so). For the rest of us it's not particularly constructive; also if you trace the thread of the discussion of the fire thing, it's really Torah keepers discussing it so you're kind of missing the point with your "Christ and the Law are crucified" perspective.

shalom

Your comment is totally fine Rock for those who don't believe the Torah is binding today (maybe half of the peeps on this site or so). For the rest of us it's not particularly constructive; also if you trace the thread of the discussion of the fire thing, it's really Torah keepers discussing it so you're kind of missing the point with your "Christ and the Law are crucified" perspective.

shalom

I assume you are speaking to me but got rockfox mixed in. Since this is not the HR section, I don't find my comments missing the point. I really don't understand why Torah observers get so defensive. I personally don't hold that view and speak from that point, sorry if that offends.

I assume you are speaking to me but got rockfox mixed in. Since this is not the HR section, I don't find my comments missing the point. I really don't understand why Torah observers get so defensive. I personally don't hold that view and speak from that point, sorry if that offends.
Not defensive at all, just it's a bit jarring when folks can't follow a simple stream of thought...

example of what you did/do:

Scene is an on-going discussion:
Person A: Hey folks isn't it interesting how when people used to do such and such (and some still do), the bible says to do such and such in this way?
Person B: I think the reason the bible says to do such and such this way is because XYZ.
Person C: I think it's more metaphorical and doesn't matter how they did it just as long as they do the literal such and such

@Cap interjects: such and such doesn't matter b/c it's not how we get to heaven. All that matters is getting to heaven.

@me uhhh, we're discussing how such and such is applied. Everyone knows the salvation message. Why must I hurt my eyes to more computer radiation reading Christian 101 when we have a discussion about an interesting nuance of the bible happening?

@Cap "Ugg you Hebrew roots people are always so defensive!"
@me and others "huh? why is this happening with this guy. yet again?"

I think if you take a hard look at the nature of your reactions you'll see you are the one who is often quite touchy and ready to attack/inject hostility wherever a discussion meanders off to an issue about the Law. Chill bro. We all know the gospel message of salvation and I'm not aware of anyone here in the past year who rejects that. It is possible to discuss other things sometimes. You write "since this is not the Hebrew roots section my comments are right on". ... I'm sure there are plenty of Hebrew roots folks ready to engage you on "is the Law still binding or not" but I don't understand why you are eager to light that fire in any section of the site. Doesn't seem edifying.

Last edited:
Not defensive at all, just it's a bit jarring when folks can't follow a simple stream of thought...

example of what you did/do:

Scene is an on-going discussion:
Person A: Hey folks isn't it interesting how when people used to do such and such (and some still do), the bible says to do such and such in this way?
Person B: I think the reason the bible says to do such and such this way is because XYZ.
Person C: I think it's more metaphorical and doesn't matter how they did it just as long as they do the literal such and such

@Cap interjects: such and such doesn't matter b/c it's not how we get to heaven. All that matters is getting to heaven.

@me uhhh, we're discussing how such and such is applied. Everyone knows the salvation message. Why must I hurt my eyes to more computer radiation reading Christian 101 when we have a discussion about an interesting nuance of the bible happening?

@Cap "Ugg you Hebrew roots people are always so defensive!"
@me and others "huh? why is this happening with this guy. yet again?"

I think if you take a hard look at the nature of your reactions you'll see you are the one who is often quite touchy and ready to attack/inject hostility wherever a discussion meanders off to an issue about the Law. Chill bro. We all know the gospel message of salvation and I'm not aware of anyone here in the past year who rejects that. It is possible to discuss other things sometimes. You write "since this is not the Hebrew roots section my comments are right on". ... I'm sure there are plenty of Hebrew roots folks ready to engage you on "is the Law still binding or not" but I don't understand why you are eager to light that fire in any section of the site. Doesn't seem edifying.

I am not exactly sure how this whole post was edifying but I guess some of you got something out of it but I actually had trouble following this stream of thought. Now is the time you and I deteriorate into a stream of attacking each other and since this site is becoming more and more Torah focused my view will become less and less tolerated, so before any moderator as to jump in and calm things down I'll stop now. Say what you want in your defense. It will go unanswered on this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of stuff should be beneath you Cap. Please edit or remove.

I can't. You are welcome to remove it if you like. My apologizes to all.

However, since I now have to respond to this thread, I am not exactly sure what the problem is, this thread was about whether the old covenant is mentioned in scripture. At some point, as things usually do, got off track into how a fire should be kindled on Sabbath. I just made a comment about grace and then @IshChayil had to chime in about how offensive that was to Torah people in a non Torah thread. I made a comment to his remark and was going to stop. But just about every Torah observate person here either piled on or started circling like sharks. I for one am concerned that the Torah influence is taking over this site. All I tried to do was keep the grace side of things available to counter balance. No different than what Paul, or the Son of God would have done in regards to the traditions of men and grace. I'll say it again, I understand the Law is good, but understanding it spiritually is what I think we are called to do. I was willing to go on and I am sorry if my view offends but there is another side to the Law observant view. If we swing fully to that side it won't matter if the old convent is in scripture or not the effects of it will be obvious. At least in my mind. I was under the impression that there is a section for Torah observant discussion, maybe I'm wrong. But I thought the rest of the forum was for ALL views.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve done a bit of cleaning to streamline the thread. Thanks everyone for being gracious.

@Cap you are correct that this thread is originally about the Old/New Covenant but I don’t think its necessarily derailed outside the parameters. You’re also very welcome to present your perspective as you see it.

Reactions: Cap
It's kind of fun reading one half of this conversation and A) filling the blanks like some kind of poly-themed mad libs and B) knowing it can't possibly be my fault this time!
This cracked me up :p, classic Zec...

I can't. You are welcome to remove it if you like. My apologizes to all.
#Forgiven (OK I don't use Twitter so I don't know what that's gonna go to, I just wanted to "hashtag" something) :p

#Forgiven (OK I don't use Twitter so I don't know what that's gonna go to, I just wanted to "hashtag" something) :p

I thank you for your forgiveness but would still like to add that in my mind those who are chosen are those who follow the correct high priest, would you say this is correct?

Back