• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

It an issue, just a question

OhMyStars

Female
What is considered ‘marital rights’?
Looking at Exodus 21:10....
But I know there are other scriptures that say the same or similar. Just trying to understand it all and different interpretations of it all.

( it’s NOT an issue.....was SUPPOSED to be the title....oh how I love new phones I don’t know how to completely work o_O )

Last edited:
I think there is a fair parallel to be seen between Exodus 21:10 and Isaiah 4:1...

“If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭21:10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Of course there can be many things said about what all “duty of marriage” may imply, but put simply I believe it means that the husband shouldn’t deny a wife his seed to allow for offspring... specifically male offspring that may inherit. A husband should of course provide for his wives, but he also needs to give the woman the honor of his name, thereby assuming proper ownership / Headship / covering for her as a wife or concubine and truly a part of his family / household.

According to Strong’s, (yes I know, it’s not perfect) it’s sexual cohabitation. From the root of “dwell together”. It’s a single word only used once in the entire Bible.

Why duty?
Idk, sounds like the translators didn’t enjoy heterosexual sex.

And those are the things I was thinking also. The name, providing for, caring for, not denying sex....
But what if a husband is not doing 1 or more of those things, claiming reasons for why he’s not keeping those marital rights in place? How would one correct that, or advise to that?

Communication. When someone stops doing what they normally do there is a reason for it. It might be an easy misunderstanding or hurt or it might be a huge misunderstanding or hurt. But either way it only gets worked out thru honest talking and prayer. I would encourage any married person to spend time in prayer before communicating about the issue. It takes lots of grace and bravery to be married, especially as the decades go by and changes happen.

I once talked with my oldest friend about all the things my husband was not doing "right" any more after many years of marriage. Her response was, "You know whose problem all that is, don't you?" "His!", I said. She smiled and shook her head and said, "It is yours." We want others to make changes but the ONLY person we can actually change is ourselves. So, you might want to ask the Lord what changes YOU need to make in your expectations or actions, that will bring you grace and love (and bravery) to create a positive mindset in your marriage relationship.

Back