• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat It's Paul...is it 'Scripture'?

I suggest that it's almost ALWAYS a 'twisting' or mis-translation of Paul.
People clearly do twist Paul's teaching as they do the rest of Scripture (like Peter told us).

Mis-translation is certainly also an issue.

My problem with what you said is the "almost always".

Apparently you think that Paul's epistles (which were breathed out by the Holy Spirit) might occasionally actually contradict the teaching of Jesus Christ. That's a big problem.

Peter tells us, in 2 Peter 3:16, the untaught and unstable twist what Paul has written to their own destruction, and they do that to the rest of the Scriptures. Be careful of those who twist what Paul has written.

Paul is designated as being like the other scriptures by Peter. Where he gives his opinion, he states so clearly. This means that elsewhere he is not giving opinion. He also mentions that he was taught his knowledge by God directly at Sinai during his time there.
Where do you see a direct contradiction between Paul and Jesus? Can you give an example to help the discussion? (If you did already, please remind me. I didn’t notice it in the thread)
Where there are apparent contradictions there are two options:
1. One is wrong
2. They work together in a way that requires more nuance/complexity than seems apparent from reading just one or the other section.

The book of Galatians is also the book that teaches me to be exceedingly careful around those who might be "false brethren secretly brought in who came in by stealth to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage".

I'm not saying you fit that category, but I'm also not saying that you don't.
It all depends on Who's "law" you're talking about (remember who that real "Red-letter Guy" called "hypocrites" - over and over again, and made multiple references to not only "bondage," but sepulchres)...
...and whether or not you know what the SAME guy who wrote Galatians meant by warning about "another jesus, whom we have NOT preached."

He was concerned a lot of folks would fall for it. They did.

Apparently you think that Paul's epistles (which were breathed out by the Holy Spirit) might occasionally actually contradict the teaching of Jesus Christ. That's a big problem.
Wrong!! NO. Read what I wrote please. (And that's the problem! People don't read what he wrote either!)

When, in the many places "as MIS-taught," Shaul/Paul APPEARS to contradict His Master - we KNOW - if we read with comprehension - that SOMEBODY is wrong. And it's either those who misread, mis-translate - or even deliberately distort. Not His Word, as ORIGINALLY Written. All of which we've been warned about!

PS> To reiterate a point I've made over and over again:

That's how we KNOW there's a problem. If there APPEARS to be a CONTRADICTION, guess Who is NOT lying?

So someone who truly takes a vow of celibacy, and decides to be 100% devoted to God and not to a spouse, they are truly "set apart" for God. That is, by definition, a "holy" calling.

Exactly. Paul is not providing some deep theology on marriage here. He is just stating the obvious truth that a married person has less time to serve God directly. A married person with a family is forced to focus on earthly material things more than a single person which has obvious advantages. And obviously he is not advocating that everyone did this, or even a majority, as that would mean then end of humanity.

I am married to one. My calling to ministry is on par with others calling to celebacy. One is not more "holy" than another's calling. If I were not called to ministry then my work as a grunt mechanic is still on par with the "holy" guys calling.

Holy simply means set apart. All followers of Yeshua are set apart, but some are set apart even from the others. I would agree with you though that it has less to do with occupation and more to do with commitment. So certainly, someone called to called to celibacy has been set apart in an extra way. But, in the modern society, someone called to polygyny or to having many children is also set apart. Is one more "holy" than another?

There are those that are called least and those called greatest within the Kingdom of Yah. It is not for us to judge arbitrarily (or really at all), but I believe the best way to look at people is through their fruit. Not by saying anyone celibate is better and anyone married worse (or vice versa).

I would say Paul IS scripture, but I think a better conversation would be trying to see if everyone on this forum agrees with what "scripture" means and, perhaps more importantly, what it does not. I don't think that everyone here is thinking the same thing when they say scripture.

Back