• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

James from Montana

we hope to make it to a retreat eventually
Well, I hope that 'eventually' could possibly be as early as August!
here is my interpretation of marrying sisters in Lev 18:18. I believe that you cannot do it for the INTENT of rivalry and without that intent I see it as acceptable.
I can't represent everyone's opinion, but I believe most here are in alignment with your interpretation. She rejected, but some time back I offered my wife's sister the opportunity to consider marrying me as well. She brought up that she was already vexxed with her sister, my wife, but I assured her that not only was vexxing either of him not my intention, I believed that the three of us living together with me as their leader would result in the unresolved issues between them have true opportunities to be addressed and resolved rather than continuing the current and longstanding practice they have of sweeping them under the rug. So we now instead watch from a distance as my sister-in-law struggles with loneliness, mental illness and relative poverty. The human heart can be a stubborn thing.

I applaud you for being willing to risk having to come out of your church in pursuit of doing the right thing.

It's great to know a little more of your background and understanding of the Bible. Thanks for filling in the details. Shalom

Hello fellow brothers and sisters,
Here is a little bit more about us. I am 27years old, My wife Leslie of 10 years is 28 years old, and my wife Lara of 3 months is 18 years old. They will be joining the site soon. We are all serious Bible believing children of God. In my young age I have been an Elder in 2 churches over the last few years, while my age may shock many people I was put in these positions because God has called me to be a Teacher and a Prophet. By Prophet I mean someone who hears from God on a regular basis directly and delivers warnings and messages via His say so. Paul told Timothy to let no one despise you for your youth. Our church that we went to for 7 years dissolved when the Pastor died and we ended up at another church that we had family friends at. I was a teaching Elder in both of them. We have been recently removed from our church fellowship for our marriage choices. We had been attending there for about 2 years but the Pastor has known my family since before I was born.

God led my wife and I to add her sister as a wife. Lara had already been living with us since she was 15 years old and I had already been taking care of her other than her parents helping with her rent until she was 18. I had already believed in Polygyny being acceptable for 2 years prior to this. I had never considered taking another wife, let alone my sister in law, because of my position as an Elder and the possible interpretations of man of ONE wife. However God made it clear to me that He made me an Elder for his purposes and He can make me not an Elder for his purposes. Before moving forward here is my interpretation of marrying sisters in Lev 18:18. I believe that you cannot do it for the INTENT of rivalry and without that intent I see it as acceptable. Our Father shows himself in 2 different Idioms marrying sisters and I use that as my authority of interpretation. Jeremiah and Ezekiel. So moving on, I let my Pastor and other Elder know that I was engaged to Lara. This was ironically after a meeting of addressing polygamy and what our response should be because we were getting ready to reach out and minister to a Mormon polygamist community. A friend of mine who attends the church had God tell him there was going to be a Polygamist family in the church and so he wrote a letter to us of what a biblical response should be. Long story short it was that we welcome them to fellowship but they dont serve as leaders. We all agreed upon this before i shared my situation. However they changed their mind when it came to me and through 2 meetings and much lies from the enemy we were removed.

We have been doing really well since being removed. God has grown all of us closer together and I have a closer relationship with my first wife than ever before. My second wife and I are growing closer by the day! I have developed my view without any outside sources, however after we were removed I wanted to look at what others believed. I am not a big fan of man's opinions lol. I have currently read about 10 books supporting the subject. I have also written an 8 page letter/study to send to some of my family and friends. I am willing to upload and share that with you guys if you would like. God has called me to be a teacher and i am willing to answer any questions about the scripture, in fact i enjoy it. God bless you all and we hope to make it to a retreat eventually.
Regarding marrying sisters. I agree with you that the Law prohibits a man from doing so to intentionally vex his wife. I would also suggest that due to prudence,
he probably shouldn't marry if he knows that it would deeply vex his wife (even unintentionally).

The Law doesn't totally prohibit marrying sisters. God Himself did it with Judah and Samaria. Jacob also married sisters.

If you are looking for books on the topic of polygyny, I would suggest:
"Thelyophthora" by Martin Madan
and
"Man and Woman in Biblical Law"

As you mentioned, I'd mainly focus on reading the Bible with an open mind.

I'm sorry to hear about you guys getting kicked out of church. A lot of us have been through similar experiences, and it is painful.

Regarding marrying sisters. I agree with you that the Law prohibits a man from doing so to intentionally vex his wife. I would also suggest that due to prudence,
he probably shouldn't marry if he knows that it would deeply vex his wife (even unintentionally).

The Law doesn't totally prohibit marrying sisters. God Himself did it with Judah and Samaria. Jacob also married sisters.

If you are looking for books on the topic of polygyny, I would suggest:
"Thelyophthora" by Martin Madan
and
"Man and Woman in Biblical Law"

As you mentioned, I'd mainly focus on reading the Bible with an open mind.

I'm sorry to hear about you guys getting kicked out of church. A lot of us have been through similar experiences, and it is painful.
Thanks. I have read Man and Woman in Biblical Law but havent got to Thelyophthora yet. Also not critical on a site like this but it was Jerusalem and Samaria out of Ezekiel and Judah and Israel kit of Jeremiah.

Well, I hope that 'eventually' could possibly be as early as August!

I can't represent everyone's opinion, but I believe most here are in alignment with your interpretation. She rejected, but some time back I offered my wife's sister the opportunity to consider marrying me as well. She brought up that she was already vexxed with her sister, my wife, but I assured her that not only was vexxing either of him not my intention, I believed that the three of us living together with me as their leader would result in the unresolved issues between them have true opportunities to be addressed and resolved rather than continuing the current and longstanding practice they have of sweeping them under the rug. So we now instead watch from a distance as my sister-in-law struggles with loneliness, mental illness and relative poverty. The human heart can be a stubborn thing.

I applaud you for being willing to risk having to come out of your church in pursuit of doing the right thing.
Thanks for the care and concern, its good to be part of a community like this. I would love to try and make it in August if I can pull it off financially. 3 adults and 3 kids, Ethan 10, Kevin 9, and Joshua 1, is a pretty hefty plane ticket right now lol

@James Pease I'd love to read your paper.
Here it is, its not in perfect format but us mainly a basic study guide. I did not go in depth so that it would allow some of my friends to study and come to their own conclusions.

Attachments

• Biblical Polygyny (1).pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 16
Oh, I'd also be interested in reading your paper.
Here it is, its not in perfect format but us mainly a basic study guide. I did not go in depth so that it would allow some of my friends to study and come to their own conclusions.

Attachments

• Biblical Polygyny (1).pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the care and concern, its good to be part of a community like this. I would love to try and make it in August if I can pull it off financially. 3 adults and 3 kids, Ethan 10, Kevin 9, and Joshua 1, is a pretty hefty plane ticket right now lol
I hear you!

Thanks for the article James. I enjoyed reading it. Cheers

James, good article. I have a couple comments if you could contact me through natsab.com

Thanks.

James, do you mind if i piggyback off of your document, expand it for my personal use?

James, do you mind if i piggyback off of your document, expand it for my personal use?
No not at all! Thats why I put it together. I plan on throughout my life writing many apologetics for this topic. Im not formally trained (degreed) but I love Gods word and especially taking everything to the original language to understand His word!
My friend is a great writer and he is going to take what I put together and make it user friendly and much more elegant than I can.

I may be using it as the bones of the document that secures me the left foot of fellowship! 😆
Do send me what you end up with, assuming there is not personal details that it will contain that you are not comfortable sharing 😊

Back