• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Joy When Bad Things Happen

TheFirstWife

Female
These are not my words, but I find that what I need to hear is often provided when I need it:

When you find that life is not a bed of roses, remember who wore the crown of thorns on your behalf? That thought leads to this question: how do you react when bad things happen to you? Throughout life, we are all going to have many occasions when "bad" things happen, whether it is the most trivial of everyday irritations and petty annoyances, or major traumatic events. In our pursuit of the fruit of joy how we react to such annoyances or traumas gives a good indication of our growth in the character quality/fruit of Christian joy. Christian joy is not limited to only the good times, but it is the ability to have an inner peace throughout the greatest of trials and tribulations...

Two major obstacles to joy are chastening and trials. Both involve our suffering, but here is the chief difference between the two. Chastening is when God brings suffering in order to discipline us for sin in our lives, to correct our behavior, or to change our attitudes of the heart. Trials, on the other hand, are designed by God in order to grow our faith, not to deal with sin in our lives. Both trials and discipline are painful and both are for our ultimate good. For that reason we have cause to rejoice through our trials and chastenings.

The secret of living joyfully while enduring chastisement is in remembering the principles outlined in Hebrews 12:1-14, that God disciplines those whom he loves and that the ultimate result is that we exhibit the peaceable fruit of righteousness. And when we can maintain joy during chastening, then we need not hang our heads and say: "Oh, woe is me."

When we undergo bad times it is either chastening or trials of faith. Of course, sometimes it can be both. As with chastenings, trials can be obstacles to joy in our life. Trials can come in a plethora of forms. The very same things mentioned earlier as means of chastening could also be Father's means of testing our faith as well. So whether it is you or a loved one who is seriously injured or terminally ill, or if it's financial problems, marital problems, in-law problems, children or parent problems, work problems - or if it is rejection or criticisms or even serious persecution, the trials of our faith can take practically any form. God sends us trials as an opportunity to build our character in one or more areas.

agreed.

When i go through crap, i think of Job.
Job 1:21 said:
And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
Job 2:10 said:
But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
At first, I'll be all "human" and get sad or pissed that things aren't going right. But then I'll try to remember to stop, thank God for all that He has provided for me and thank Him for whatever problems I'm going through now. I thank Him because of what you wrote above. Either I'm doing something wrong and He's trying to steer me back or He's prepping me for something coming up.

Either way, I know I'm in good hands.
Job 42:17 said:
So Job died, being old and full of days.

Thank you for explaining the subtle difference between chastening and trials. I found it very edifying! jou must be a virtuous Proverbs 31 woman, God bless you.

Thank you Sonny for the uplifting words. I believe I have a long way to go to become a Proverbs 31 woman, but your words encourage me to work harder. :)

Back