• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

July 18th - Money saving tips?

RainyLondonFog

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
1531615727620.jpg
I enjoy trying to save money. I cook a lot from scratch, and have experimented with 'make it yourself' recipes. The best one I've found is for laundry detergent. Here is a link with instructions on how to make it. Dawn should not be mixed with bleach, though. Also, some new washers have warnings about only using certain detergents - but my washer is only about two years old and I've never had problems with using this recipe. All three of the listed ingredients (in my town anyway) for the laundry detergent are less then $15 and make enough soap for at least a year in my house, which is 2 adults and three kiddos. Since one can easily spend that on one bottle of store bought detergent that only lasts one month, that's quite a savings for our household. What are some ways you have found to save a little money? :)

Last edited:
Because we have an abundance of firewood, hubby bought us an antique wood burning water heater. We used to spend $50.00 a month on propane, and the only thing we used it for was the water heater. That was way back when we only had three children too!
Our 4th child is 14 years old, so it really adds up when you do the math. (Especially figuring in family growth, and more super soiled work clothes getting washed in hot water)

We also use wood for cooking and canning, again, because it is a plentiful resource here.

I realize that's not as helpful a tip for others as @RainyLondonFog 's laundry soap, but it is what came to mind.

Scratch cooking is a big thing too. Pre prepared anything gets expensive feeding a big family.

Thrift stores!! We find the best deals there. Ours has bag days where you can fill a whole grocery sack for $5. That can go a long way with growing kiddos. And shoes for $1! Who can beat that!?

Oh and we cook from scratch too so I buy flour, sugar, wheat and such in bulk. I have found food grade buckets are expensive but our local bakery will sell me their used buckets and lids for $2!! That is a huge saver!!

I use washable sanitary pads. I was going to start using family cloth but mom says no! This fall I will be building a composting bathroom with a solar hot water heater for the shower. A fireplace hot water system would be great! We will see how it goes LOL

Because we have an abundance of firewood, hubby bought us an antique wood burning water heater. We used to spend $50.00 a month on propane, and the only thing we used it for was the water heater. That was way back when we only had three children too!
Our 4th child is 14 years old, so it really adds up when you do the math. (Especially figuring in family growth, and more super soiled work clothes getting washed in hot water)

We also use wood for cooking and canning, again, because it is a plentiful resource here.

I realize that's not as helpful a tip for others as @RainyLondonFog 's laundry soap, but it is what came to mind.

Scratch cooking is a big thing too. Pre prepared anything gets expensive feeding a big family.

That would be really helpful! Does it add a lot of heat to the house?

I try to cook from scratch, I do not buy any processed or frozen meals at all.With 4 kids, 3 if which are growing boys, I gonna cook smart and increase my gardening.
I also am a very simple gal and only buy clothes and shoes on sale, and almost never buy make up.

I usually wait for things to get on sale also! I usually buy for any holes in our wardrobe in the off season when the past season's things are on clearance. :)

Thrift stores!! We find the best deals there. Ours has bag days where you can fill a whole grocery sack for $5. That can go a long way with growing kiddos. And shoes for $1! Who can beat that!?

Oh and we cook from scratch too so I buy flour, sugar, wheat and such in bulk. I have found food grade buckets are expensive but our local bakery will sell me their used buckets and lids for $2!! That is a huge saver!!

Oh I wish we had good thrift stores around here! I've tried to go in ours but most of the items aren't in real good condition and are waaaay outdated. I've heard ones in bigger cities are usually where it's at.

I use washable sanitary pads. I was going to start using family cloth but mom says no! This fall I will be building a composting bathroom with a solar hot water heater for the shower. A fireplace hot water system would be great! We will see how it goes LOL

I've heard of the washable pads but haven't used them myself. What's a composting bathroom? Sounds intense, like something from a spaceship in a sci-fi movie! :)

would be really helpful! Does it add a lot of heat to the house?
No heat to the house, as the part that heats the water is located out in the yard, and the hot water runs through pipes into our regular hot water heater.
The only down side is that there is no thermostat, and the water can reach much higher temperatures...(almost boiling) which means you must be careful when rinsing dishes!

No heat to the house, as the part that heats the water is located out in the yard, and the hot water runs through pipes into our regular hot water heater.
The only down side is that there is no thermostat, and the water can reach much higher temperatures...(almost boiling) which means you must be careful when rinsing dishes!

Well dang, that's just really cool! Aside from the almost boiling water lol but I'm glad it doesn't add heat to the house. :)

I don't spend money, lol. I mean, that's the best way of saving it, right? I hate spending money, I hate shopping, I pretty much hate leaving the house. And because I avoid all that, I end up either making do with what we have, or somehow creating something out of nothing. You'd be surprised at the meals you can come up with when you have 'nothing' in the cupboards.

I don't remember that good to know. Thanks I will check it out :)

Well actually I asked my mom (we read the book and watched the movie but I couldn't remember) and she said that it was not a composting toilet setup, but that he just gathered and composted his own waste since he was stranded. :)

Back