• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Kaplah: Live long, marry again, and prosper

The title of this thread led me to a Google search for "Kaplah".

For those who don't know, it turns out to be a Klingon word meaning "Eureka" or "absence of failure" (according to Urban Dictionary), or "success" (according to others), and the spelling appears to be indefinite. One site lists — what else? — the episodes in which it was used, and points out that "According to the scripts, Qapla' is pronounced 'k-PLAH.'" (And don't forget the glottal stop at the end; "plah" is short, like the "uh" in "uh-oh".)

"Live long and prosper" is, of course, a Vulcan phrase. So this thread's title is a Star Trek two-fer. Well played!

Now, this reference to Klingons led me to wonder: Is it out of the blue, or ... are Klingons polygamous? A search for "klingon polygamy" turns up a discussion of Klingon sexuality and a useful Wikpedia article about sexuality in Star Trek. I'd say that no clear answer exists, and that, while Trekkies are a tolerant lot, their thoughts on polygamy relate mostly to jealousies and gene pools.

Of course, when one googles polygamy and anything, Mormons probably aren't far away. The above search also yielded a YouTube video, "Star Trek: Mormon Mommy sings Klingon 'I am a Child of God'" — the title of which, as one writer pointed out, speaks for itself. And then there's a newspaper story about the financial troubles of Colorado City, UT and Hildale, AZ, below which one commenter called the FLDS residents "klingon lemmings" — which, no offense to the FLDS, is an insult to Klingons, because it uses their name as a pejorative. Not that I'm defending Klingons; originally they were the bad guys, after all.

Or were they? After all, my original search for "kaplah" also turned up a nifty discussion of Klingons for Christ; one commenter points out that they "started as a joke, but they actually do have a certain convention presence and I think do charity and some lowkey evangelistic work."

Anyway, Mormonism brings me back around to my initial reaction to the topic of this thread. An LDS friend once pointed out the following passage as an example of humor in the Book of Mormon, but I always suspected it was just a plain reference to how things really work:

And it came to pass that he had no children even until he was exceedingly old... And it came to pass that Coriantum took to wife, in his old age, a young maid, and begat sons and daughters; wherefore he lived until he was an hundred and forty and two years old.

— Ether 4:26,28 (Independence Edition); Ether 9:23-24 (LDS version); emphasis added

Seems the article at New Scientist backs up that idea.

Very interesting article thank you.

Is there a limit on this? 2 wives - live longer. 3 wives - longer still. 1000 wives - immortal? :lol: :eek:

Back