• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat KJV onlyism?!

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
*edited to Meat* cause I want no holds barred.

I once was convinced (the best argumentation I’d seen convinced me) that the KJV was the best Bible translation. Through my deep and intensive dive into scripture this year, I’ve come to refuse my earlier position of KJV only. I had my doubts for a couple years but due to a lack of convincing data, retained my earlier position.

So hit me with your best shot! What do you think is the best and why? What is your detailed or birds eye view reasoning behind your held belief?

Last edited:
Being of the KJV-almost-never persuasion, my viewpoint on this is scattered all over the place in these forums, so I'll just sit back and watch, at least for the time being.

My husband went through a bible study called "How we got our Bible" by Chuck Missler. I believe its on YouTube. It talks about the manuscripts that were actually used to translate our different bibles that we have now. As for me, I like to use nkjv (its easier for me to read than the kjv) and I like to use the ylt(most of the tenses that are mistranslated in the normal versions are translated correctly in it which is nice when trying to understand a passage better). My husband and I also like to use the blb app because the Greek and hebrew definitions to each word are just a click away and it makes in-depth study much much faster. As well as it shows every verse that that specific word was used in at the bottom of the definition page. Its really quite helpful. :)

Oh I also like the blb app because you can have 2 different translations side by side as your reading the bible which is also helpful in understanding what is trying to be said. Although nothing is better than looking into what the actual Hebrew and Greek words mean. That helps me the most.

I once was convinced (the best argumentation I’d seen convinced me) that the KJV was the best Bible translation. Through my deep and intensive dive into scripture this year, I’ve come to refuse my earlier position of KJV only. I had my doubts for a couple years but due to a lack of convincing data, retained my earlier position.

So hit me with your best shot! What do you think is the best and why? What is your detailed or birds eye view reasoning behind your held belief?
I used to be KJV only I am so very thankful that I have recognized the error of that position I can point out specific problems with it if anyone is actually interested...

@IshChayil used to have a signature at the bottom of all his post that said something like "all translation is commentary" I think he was right. I don't think there is a "best" I primarily use NASB 1995 but I also regularly check others. One of my recent favorites is ABP...

I don't think there is one best translation. In fact, I think that having multiple translations is actually really helpful when studying scripture. On our phones we have an app that has a bunch of different translations as well as being able to go back to the root word which is super helpful when we're digging into something.
What I will say is that various ones that are called translations are so far removed from it that I wouldn't add them to my collection, eg - The Message. I don't consider that a translation, it's definitely just a commentary.

I do see how the KJV is really solid, but I struggle to understand it with the language used. I spend so much time trying to translate each word because it doesn't come naturally to me, that I don't get much out of it. Some parts are nearly impossible for me to read. This is why I don't like the whole KJV only position, it has its place, but it can't be the only translation we're allowed to read.

I prefer to study in the King Jim because I know so many of the words used and can easily look them up.

The Blue Bible app is ultra handy.

Personally, I prefer NASB95, but have BLB (BlueLetterBible) app on my phone for quick access to languages so I can do my own word studies, etc... as all the others, I would HIGHLY recommend the BLB app.

I like Concordant, Blue Letter and NASB95. Used to like them before I was convinced through what I think was faulty logic to change to KJV. I still love my KJV because of the language, but I distrust it so much after doing so many word studies and finding so many words seem suspiciously translated to change the meaning subtly towards one paradigm.

I don't believe any specific English translation is "correct", I look to the original text - but am limited as I don't speak either language. However, I tend towards the LXX for the Old Testament and definitely prefer the Textus Receptus / Byzantine Majority Text for the New. For this reason, I prefer the KJV or WEB for study particularly in the New Testament as they are based on the TR & Byzantine texts respectively, rather than the Bible Society version.

Most of the good arguments the KJV-only crowd have come down to differences in the New Testament Greek, and the fact that most modern translations use a potentially corrupted and shorter version of the Greek. These arguments are often sound, but don't support the KJV itself so much as they support the use of the Majority Text.

So I often use the KJV, but this is not because the translation itself is better than others, but because:
  • The underlying Greek text is likely less corrupted in my opinion.
  • The language is considerably more poetic and memorable than many modern translations.
  • So many study tools are available, from paper concordances to online resources, all keyed to the KJV with Strongs numbers.

I distrust it so much after doing so many word studies and finding so many words seem suspiciously translated to change the meaning subtly towards one paradigm.

Same

I personally have come to greatly prefer Young's Literal Translation [YLT98]. It's not perfect, no English translation is, and I understand that most people don't like the older English and inherent clunkiness of the translation itself, but I really appreciate how they make their best attempt to not change words, and reading through familiar passages and seeing thought provoking differences always leads me to highly intriguing word studies.

I can ping pong some of those word studies to you if you'd like to embark on them yourself, brother! 1 Samuel 1:6 was one of my most recent ones to look into because of it.

Personally, I prefer NASB95, but have BLB (BlueLetterBible) app on my phone for quick access to languages so I can do my own word studies, etc... as all the others, I would HIGHLY recommend the BLB app.
How do you use the app to do word studies?

I was never a KJV only adherent because the KJV is a translation; a good translation but still only a translation, and there are other good translations. Daily bible reading for myself and reading for my wives and family has been predominantly NKJV since it was produced, but KJV prior to that.

The move away from word-for-word translations in recent years more toward dynamic equivalence has resulted in a loss of literal accuracy and more misunderstandings of passages. I would encourage anyone interested in having a good sound knowledge of the Bible to read and study from literally accurate translations. So stay away from The Message and like.

And along with @FollowingHim, my concern is for the reliability of the Greek text used so I analyse and translate all NT passages from the Majority Text before teaching them.

The move away from word-for-word translations in recent years more toward dynamic equivalence has resulted in a loss of literal accuracy and more misunderstandings of passages. I would encourage anyone interested in having a good sound knowledge of the Bible to read and study from literally accurate translations. So stay away from The Message and like.

And along with @FollowingHim, my concern is for the reliability of the Greek text used so I analyse and translate all NT passages from the Majority Text before teaching them.
I love this and it's my thoughts exactly

Hey Nick, I use the YLT and the Nasb95 side by side. The newer translations, including NASB pull from 3 different manuscripts, one of them being the Westcott and Hort which is horribly mutilated. I have found many grievous errors in most new translations. I have quite a few examples of scriptures that have been shortened and altered. I will get a good list assembled I dont mind nkjv but I stick to young's literal primarily for it direct translation. Here is how God led me there. God told me to look at John 3:16 again, in the process of studying the greek I came across a knowledge that most translations do not correctly translate verb tense. John 3:16 is no exception. We read whoever believes in Him shall not perish but it actually says whoever is believing in Him shall not perish. I went translation surfing and this was the only one with the correct tense. Previously I would re translate the scripture with correct verb tenses and then read it. There is something in Greek called a present active participle. It implies a present continuous action and greatly changes the text when applied. For example in most translations the phrase might exist that "he who goes to the store will be saved" where the actual verb should be "he who is going to the store will be saved". Quite a bit different. One is an action that happens and one is a continuous action. Always remember the Holy Spirit will teach you all things and bring to remembrance all the things He said. I like greek, so textus receptus and lxx are favorites of mine

John 3:16 is no exception. We read whoever believes in Him shall not perish but it actually says whoever is believing in Him shall not perish. I went translation surfing and this was the only one with the correct tense.
Actually, the Concordant Literal New Testament [CLNT] also translates it this way .

Hey Nick, I use the YLT and the Nasb95 side by side. The newer translations, including NASB pull from 3 different manuscripts, one of them being the Westcott and Hort which is horribly mutilated. I have found many grievous errors in most new translations. I have quite a few examples of scriptures that have been shortened and altered. I will get a good list assembled I dont mind nkjv but I stick to young's literal primarily for it direct translation. Here is how God led me there. God told me to look at John 3:16 again, in the process of studying the greek I came across a knowledge that most translations do not correctly translate verb tense. John 3:16 is no exception. We read whoever believes in Him shall not perish but it actually says whoever is believing in Him shall not perish. I went translation surfing and this was the only one with the correct tense. Previously I would re translate the scripture with correct verb tenses and then read it. There is something in Greek called a present active participle. It implies a present continuous action and greatly changes the text when applied. For example in most translations the phrase might exist that "he who goes to the store will be saved" where the actual verb should be "he who is going to the store will be saved". Quite a bit different. One is an action that happens and one is a continuous action. Always remember the Holy Spirit will teach you all things and bring to remembrance all the things He said
Actually, the Concordant Literal New Testament [CLNT] also translates it this way .
Sweet, I will look at that! Thanks!

Back