• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Legalizing Christian Polygamy

lutherangirl

Real Person
Female
I think I found an answer to the question of how to get Christian Polygamy legalized. It seems like once a "professional" group of scientific experts put their stamp of approval on something by researching and testing, the world believes their discoveries even if it trumps what Scripture says. For example, now that the experts say people are born homosexual the world and the some of the churches believe it and finds ways to change the laws for gay marriage, etc. So, I say we group up with these "experts" and have them do some research on our community here and make a reality show about us. Since the world seems to need scientific proof of why people do what they do and is hooked on reality shows, we might make a dent in getting legalized. Our trump card is we are practicing/believing in a form of marriage that was Biblical correct. Remember how Ruth had to masquerade herself to save the Israel nation. Well, I guess this is kinda what we would have to do.

I don't want to put a dent in your idea Michelle but I don't think that it is so easy to get scientists to do a study on you as you may think. For example, who are they going to study? How many people do you have in your community who currently live Polygamously? Out of those, how many do you think are functional? Scientists are not going to change their results to make you happy. If the result come out and says 'Though marginally functional, the happiness of the wives is transient and superficial, the husbands of these families, are often pompous and self obsessed'. I mean, it doesn't look good for anyone does it? And then, if they happen to choose a family with these pompous husbands and superficially happy wives as TV fodder (because lets' face it, TV is only about ratings after all, they already have one functioning Polygamous people on TV (Sisterwives) they must be dying to find some dysfunctional ones) you can't just volunteer yourself, they have to choose you.

B

Oops! I meant to say "Esther" instead of "Ruth". The mind sometimes wonders...

B,

I hear what you are saying. I just thought sociologist have studied many other forms of polygamous cultures, but not much on Christian polygamous families. If it would be more of a documentary than reality show, maybe there wouldn't be as much drama added by the producers; however, it seems like the drama is what most people enjoy. I just felt maybe if someone would study our community here on BF, regardless if we are living the lifestyle or open to it, they might find out we were just born to be polgys just like they say some people are born to be homosexual.

I still say it's going to have to be by Court Case, probably in a place like Vermont, New Hampshire, New York or Washington DC.

Jim,

If we were studied, I hope the experts would find it's in our genes as opposed to jeans. :lol: That was a bad joke I know.

Hugh,

That's why if we could get diagnosed as "born that way", we would have a case to bring to court. If studies can proof that some animals are polygs, why can't they proof it about humans? We could change the name of the website to Biblical Family Lab Rats. :lol:

Not wanting to get political or anything but I don't think any type of Poly behaviour can stand up to scientific scrutiny, because how we conduct relationships are, in general, socially controlled. How we behave sexually or how we get or stay attracted to someone sexually is less so, but partnership is. Anthropology has in the last few decades, clung to the idea of the natural state of serial monogamy, or, slightly older, the men being promiscuous and women being monogamous (typically disregarding the huge amount of social restriction against female sexual autonomy world wide which doesn't allow for an untainted control sampling. ) Recently the book 'Sex at dawn' propagates the idea that early humans were much more Polyamorous and not sexually exclusive, children belonging to the tribe communally and being cared for by all. Which would allow for all forms of non monogamy of course, the particular structure chosen depending on personal desires or religious conviction of course. However, I don't think many people here trust or accept anthropological research as it is not of the Bible so what is the point?

Also, considering the objection of some Christians wrt LGBT people being 'born this way' I don't think everyone in this community would be so keen to use the same reasoning to justify their minority relationship style.

I just think it is a pretty pointless exercise, better to just live your lives, live them well and point out that it doesn't go against your religious convictions and also point out that it may not work for everyone but it works well for you and I think it will help somewhat with acceptance from your wider community.

B

lutherangirl said:
Jim, If we were studied, I hope the experts would find it's in our genes as opposed to jeans. :lol: That was a bad joke I know.
:eek: :lol: I was waiting for someone to go with that one. :D

Isabella said:
so, considering the objection of some Christians wrt LGBT people being 'born this way' I don't think everyone in this community would be so keen to use the same reasoning to justify their minority relationship style. I just think it is a pretty pointless exercise, better to just live your lives, live them well and point out that it doesn't go against your religious convictions and also point out that it may not work for everyone but it works well for you and I think it will help somewhat with acceptance from your wider community.B
I agree Bel, it would only be considered some kind of disorder.

I think that if we get more pastor and clergy this is for this kind of biblical truth we can make it law.The more people we get in to the moment the,better we have a chance.The gays in New York found out that if they have a had over five hundred thousands people sign a petition in any state in us and sent this to all the senators of that state they will fight to make it law. This is why the are winning there fight.They also state a National Organization for the cause this way the go state my state to make it legal.They have took six state this way.We need to group up pray and fight

Isabella wrote:
I don't think everyone in this community would be so keen to use the same reasoning to justify their minority relationship style.
Bels, you are absolutely right. This is Biblical Families, and the Bible is very clear that the homosexual lifestyle is an abomination to God.

It is equally clear that the Bible allows for, and even requires, in some cases, polygyny.

I have never been comfortable when someone says: "if Heather can have two mommies, why not two mommies and a daddy?" In my mind (and maybe I'm wrong...) that links a lifestyle that the Bible calls an abomination with a lifestyle that is endorsed by the Bible, making the two morally equal. And that destroys the credibility of our ultimate authority, the Bible.

It has been documented by a Stanford University researcher that every major ancient culture except post-Homeric Greece and Rome practiced polygyny. Read this paper: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1214729

The problem is that the god of this age (Satan) has blinded the minds of non-believers (and some believers!), and so they call good bad (polygyny) and bad good (homosexual lifestyle.)
2 Corinthians 4:3-4 NKJV (3) But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, (4) whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Polygamy is nothing new to the scientific community...gaining public attention however seems to only happen from time to time when a guy goes to Florida and legally marries another wife without his first wife knowing about it...or the periodic compound raid...although the reviews for kody Brown and family did produce limited beneficial results (exposure).

http://www.orato.com/self-help/are-we-n ... polygamous

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dar ... lygamous-0

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... man-nature

Scarecrow,

Thanks for sharing those links. I guess I'm trying to think of "loopholes" to get the world and church to change their minds regarding polygamy. Not trying to blend in with the worldview just "out fox" them for the better cause. When the subject of polygamy comes up in our household my daughter's voice rings in my head, "You know it's illegal." I do think she worries that someone will come and arrest her father. In Biblical times this wasn't something families had to worry about regarding pm marriage anyhow.

Thanks to the others who have posted, too. I know it means so much to all of us. Maybe we just need to build another ark, load it up, and land in different country to start over.

Michelle

IMHO, what we really need to do is change the world, one heart at a time, rather than to try changing the laws. If we change enough hearts, the laws will naturally follow. (Of course, only God can change a person's heart, but He uses us to proclaim the Truth that He will work with to bring about that change.)

The state-licensed marriage system is nothing but a scam, and Dr. Allen has done far more research on that than I have. So I will speak only to the Church's oxymoronic teaching about "marriage."

Traditionally, the Church has, in the past dozen or so decades, taught that a happy couple is "living in sin" unless they have a piece of paper from the State authorizing them to be "married," they have stood before a State-authorized official and said some "shoobie-doos," everyone involved has signed on the proper dotted line, and the piece of paper is filed with the County Clerk.

If you don't do that, but just move in together, the Church teaches that you are "living in sin."

Show me where the Bible says that! In fact, try telling that to Isaac and Rebekah!

The oxymoronic part comes in here...

If the Church buys into the lie that a couple is not "living in sin" if and only if they have permission from the State to be "married," then it follows that any couple who has that permission is not "living in sin."

But no. Even if New York says that Billy-Bob and Brucie are married, the Church says no, they aren't.

But the State says yes, they are. And the happy couple, Billy-Bob and Brucie, have the piece of paper to prove it. All properly signed, witnessed, and filed with the County Clerk.

It's two sides of the same coin! Try going to a store and spending only the "heads" side of a quarter...

The State-licensed marriage system belongs to the world, not the Bible. When deciding on what is or is not sin, we should look to the Bible, not the world's system.

When someone picks and chooses which parts of the Bible to live by, based on their personal desires, the Church accuses them of practicing "smorgasbord Christianity." But apparently, it's OK to pick-and-choose which parts of one specific law will be observed.

What does the Bible say? To summarize it, if both the man and the woman are eligible to enter into a Union, both have the approval of their respective patriarchs (the man might be patriarch of his own family, and the woman might not have a real patriarch in our society and so can make the decision herself,) and if they promise each other and Got to stay together for life, then as soon as they consummate the union, they are One Flesh in a Biblical Covenant Union. For life, not until she burns the toast or he leaves his dirty underwear on the floor. Regardless of what the State or the Church might say.

What God (not the State, not the Church) has joined together, let not man (the State, the Church) put asunder.

Having said all that, and very slightly encroaching on what I said above to be Dr. Allen's territory, there might be some valid, but purely secular, reasons for a couple to get "legally married." That biggest-ever Ponzi scheme, Social Security, might be one reason (especially for those of us approaching retirement age,) and there might also be others. But, of course, if a man has two or more women, only one can be his "legal wife" for those legal secular purposes.

The Church should not care one way or the other if a man and a woman have permission from the Government to be "married." What should matter is what God has said in His Word.

The problem with not changing laws is that others will not leave well enough alone. They think informal polygyny is illegal, even though it's not. It creates an environment in which we can be persecuted. I despair entirely of changing enough hearts to make a difference. Polygamy in the minds of the general public is associated with child abuse, and depriving women of their rights. Society sees the first as utterly intolerable and the second as a case of not believing ANY woman in her right mind would submit to such intolerable deprivation of rights. Such women are Stockholm Syndrome victims, and must be deprogrammed! They must be SAVED.

The stage is then set for home invasion and the fact that no one will ever end up being convicted of bigamy or trigamy etc, is quickly brushed aside. Other violations of law are discovered and those violations are prosecuted. This society has too many laws. You're probably guilty of SOMETHING. The Bigamy charges get dropped.

Do we forget so quickly? YFZ (the FLDS matter) has finally acheived official recognition of the fact that the call that prompted the raid of the Ranch was a hoax, but it's doing them no good. Everyone got convicted, everyone is in jail so far.

If you have a minor female child in the house, and you're practicing polygyny, beware. It doesn't matter what you did, it matters what they can make you look like. It needs to be legal. Remember, Mordecai and Esther sought legal protections.

Dr. George,

I wish it would be that easy to change people's hearts. I think Hugh (great post!) pretty much nailed down what I've been trying to say along this thread.

we will get it sorted ouit in the millenium :)

I believe what Kody Brown wants, is to be left alone, and that could be done in every state. What they're doing is trying to get Utah to recognize existing law and the recent judicial decisions of Texas. The only reason the local police began an investigation, is because of outside pressure since the Browns revealed themselves to the world. If and when public opinion changes in regards to PM, will it be possible to legalize PM.

Back