• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Legalizing Christian Polygamy

ylop said:
I am with Fairlight on this issue.

I do acknowledge that useful information may be found from a wide variety of sources. I appreciate the scientific method, and in the past have personally conducted university research.

However if we are to ever have any hope of tolerance within the wider Christian community, we need to maintain a giant chasm between ourselves and swingers and related activities.

Ephesians 5:3 comes to mind - "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality..."

ylop

Looking at Ephesians 5:3 in context, like vs 4 and 5, I believe Paul was referring to the actual acts rather than just the mere mention. Reading about sexual immorality doesn't make you sexually immoral, so if you're not to let a sexually immoral be named among you that would mean don't let someone who sins sexually associate with you.

Although, as I mentioned in my previous post, if merely the mention of a sin is what we stay away from then we need to put down some parts of the Bible, as well. To be honest, I'd worry more about CHRISTIANS, or people who call themselves that, who are swingers, commit adultery, fornication, etc and yet still claim to be followers of Christ.

1 Corinthians 5:9-11
9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 NOT at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

PolyPride said:
Using psychotherapy is extra-biblical but extra-biblical does not always mean sinful just as long as it doesn't violate any of God's commands. If the standard is that it has to be mentioned in the Bible then we must also throw out all knowledge on medicine, health, etc, etc.

I don't think anyone is coming against psychotherapy. It was studying the mating habits of swingers that was objectionable. Psychotherapy in the hands of a licensed Godly counselor can be a very good thing. The point I was trying to make was we don't need to (and shouldn't) look to an aberrant lifestyle for answers. There are plenty of resources (that aren't morally objectionable) available to individuals/families who are experiencing jealousy.

For me it is not so much an issue of right or wrong, but of impressions.

I am talking PR management.

We have to be ultra squeaky clean.

The smallest thing could result in the loss of support from otherwise positive observers.

And it is not like we have a huge support base and can afford to alienate some.

ylop

Back