• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Legalizing Polygamy

Seeking_Truth

I'm curious about the legalization of Polygamy and I hope I am posting in the correct forum.

My question is;
If the state is who clarifies marriage (i.e - some states recognize gay marriage) why is it a particular state has not accepted polygamous unions thus far? Has a state attempted to legalize polygamy and been refused by the citizens or the courts and what grounds was it refused? Also, what does it take to make a motion for a state to recognize such a union (petitions, etc)?

If the state is who clarifies marriage (i.e - some states recognize gay marriage) why is it a particular state has not accepted polygamous unions thus far?

There will be a longer teaching article on this soon, by summer. But as a real short answer here for now it boils down to the carry overs from the European ideology that came to colonial America. Roman statist systems created the monogamy only doctrine and then when the Reformation took place that major event led to the Puritan and Pilgrims setting up here in Colonial America. They were right on some key things, like salvation and the gospel. But they were wrong in some others areas, such as the doctrine of a covenant union with a man and woman and other things like the nature of the church being distinct and free from the sphere of the sword. This carry over is still with us today. That is the base theological reason. Also the terms "husband," "wife," and "marriage" are Romanist English terms that are not per se the most accurate words for the Hebrew and Greek terms. Aner and Gune simply mean man and woman. If it is in the genitive case or possessive case it simply means "my man" or "my woman." Gamos or Gameo, marriage & to marry, also simply means to join together as/in a union. Another Greek term can be used which we translate "to join or unite." The government has basically copyrighted the terms, husband, wife, marriage etc, which should not be but as is stands as the current reality which has the force of the law behind it for the most part. Thus those are somewhat like protected terms and are basically classes of ideas that are attached to the state government licensure issue. But in reality the legal terms used today do not really reflect the definitions of the biblical terms and thus I urge people to form their peaceable unions with other terms than with those that not only create a legal issue but also does not truly represent the idea behind the biblical terms. People in the OC and NC joined together based on family and or personal covenant agreements, and not through civil licensure systems as we know of today here in this country.

As for political theory it follows suit that since this idea has always been a minority view there has not been a strong press for it politically nor enough of an organizational coalition to make much headway for the view. But, as believed here by many of us, it is a better route to de-regulate this issue than to create a regulation. The better idea is to establish neutral contract laws that provide liberty to any person who desires to contract together in a union. It would be consistent with the 1st Amendment which gave freedom for people to peaceably associate as they so please.

Also, what does it take to make a motion for a state to recognize such a union (petitions, etc)?

No state has per se tried (not at least since the initial Utah controversy where they were allowed in the union only on the basis of outlawing this practice) and there is no such thing called a "motion." That would be something more akin to a courtroom scenario. Of course, if by that you mean Bills being filed in the legislatures that would be correct to a sense but it has not been something done in any legislatures as of yet in the recent years. For something to become law it must be passed through a legislature, and then enforced and supported judicially. Furthermore, some laws that are created has the appearance of law yet in reality conflict with constitutional law or even beyond as it conflicts with natural law.

As for some historical background that goes way back into the history of civilization you can read this article here and it will help you grasp the issues as to where we came from to where we are today:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2063

Thank you for the response. Yes, by motion I meant Bills being filed in the legislature. If gay marriage can be recognized by some states I wondered how it was that polygamy had not yet been recognized. Does it take a state's citizens writing letters or petitions being gathered on a large scale (what scale?) before a Bill is even considered? How does it get to that point?

The better idea is to establish neutral contract laws that provide liberty to any person who desires to contract together in a union. It would be consistent with the 1st Amendment which gave freedom for people to peaceably associate as they so please.

Freedom of association was partly done away with in the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

itainteasy said:
The better idea is to establish neutral contract laws that provide liberty to any person who desires to contract together in a union. It would be consistent with the 1st Amendment which gave freedom for people to peaceably associate as they so please.

Freedom of association was partly done away with in the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Oxymoron??? :?

Seekingtruth,

As for the homosexual movement the issue boils down to this. For years that movement has had a cohesive organizational movement pressing for their right to assemble (though wrongly assembled). Thus they are as a whole a little more organized and actually introducing legislation as you noted all across the country.

The Lawrence vs. Texas case also did much for the freedoms of people to peaceably assemble, even sexual wise, in the privacy for their homes (a case from 2003). Basically in that case two homosexuals were jailed after a forced entry on a warrant for something else led the officers to seeing the two males "assembled" together sexually. They were charged and arrested.

The case went all the way to the US Supreme Court and it was a close decision. 5 said it was unconstitutional to ban private sexual acts between consenting adults. This law, as most lawyers and prosecutors admit, canceled many if not all of the sodomy laws, and what has often been termed sex morality laws while still upholding laws to protect minors (non-adults). It was ideologically a 6 to 3 verdict if you carefully reads the notes as one of the dissenting Justices even said he thought those laws were useless and senseless, but he still dissented not because he did not agree with the rights of the people to have consensual sex acts as adults but because he held to a legal theory that would not let him in good conscience undermine states rights where those laws originated. With his strict interpretational standards he felt the constitution of the USA did not address the matter and so he did not think he had the authority to rule any way on the case.

In any case the homosexual movement is indeed fighting to gain the right to marital licensures. It is for that REASON I again counsel and disciple people that we ought to go back to the original language of Scripture itself. Think about it, if and/or when that does become a norm for all of life here where a marriage license granted by the legal entities can also define homosexual marriages then why in the world would we as biblicists keep using those terms? There is no ambiguity whatsoever in the term "my man" and "my lady" or "my woman."

Many people in the polygyny movement have noted that the homosexual movement may indeed lead to polygyny people having the same rights. It very well may indeed and many historians, theologians, philosophers, and even judges have reasoned in that light.

No doubt, in contemplating things from the perspective of providence God will often use those in error to accomplish some higher purpose. Though I, nor any of the other leaders here that I can think of, would NOT support the homosexuals in their act (which is immoral and unnatural) we do see and understand how God can indeed use their efforts to open the doors for a broader freedom of others to practice other types of unions. Indeed it is not speculative anymore since the very Lawrence vs Texas case did just that in the legal realm.

But that is about as far as we biblicists would endorse that. Many people endorse the right of others to be wrong. We thus generally support liberty for another even if we do not agree with the way they exercise their liberty. For example, the Hindu who worships in idolatry is seriously flawed, wrong, and on his way to an eternal hell. We differ strongly with his acts and beliefs and his prayers. BUT, we would, if in agreement with the NC and with the ideology behind our constitution of this land support his or her liberty to be free to worship that way and to practice that belief is the person so chooses. Thus, in that sense many of us affirm a dual doctrine of civil liberties for all while we voluntarily associate with faith movements that oppose their ideology.

Likewise, some of us would support any and all people's who are adults to be free to consent to sensual acts within the civil sphere yet also oppose it morally from a biblical and Judeo-Christian frame of reference of faith.

Now to your even more specific question: how do you get a bill through a legislature?

Hard WORK, collaboration with many many many others who have a similar mind, a lot of money donated to candidates who share your philosophy, and a general good gracious wind of providence to get it through. It is long, hard, and tough, but doable if there is strong organizational support.

Though I can't go into all of it here in the open, we are hard at work behind the scenes in some plans for avenues for this. I am personally in some efforts with some others for some ideas and work to help in that light. It is something I do strongly urge not to go run down to the local house or senator's office and demand a bill to be filed. That approach will likely not get you very far. It is not wrong or anything to try that but speaking pragmatically it just is not that easy nor simple and doing that may hurt the effort or even your own reputation.

If you want to join a broader organization to be a part of a movement that supports such things as that then examine the Libertarian political party. It is gradually yet consistently incrementally growing both in number and in financial support. They support all people's liberty to peaceable assembly, even in sexual unions as they so desire. You would find a home there and others who would be like minded with you i that civil sphere ideology and thus they could be of great aid to you organizationally so you would not be out on a lone limb with a strong tide against you. By joining your water drop with their water drops ponds, lakes, and even oceans can be formed for a common purpose.

Also keep in mind too that various parties have some underlying tones or principles to them. It may mean you have to work with a like minded Democrat in one area while differing in another area. Or it may mean joining with a Republican for a portion of time for some things while opposing them in another area. Balance is the key and when in the political sector the words of Christ are as important as ever: "Be wise as serpents yet harmless as doves." You have to learn the art of gentility while still having the mind and backbone of steel on some issues while you flex and give in other issues.

"what does it take to make a motion for a state to recognize such a union (petitions, etc)?"

Since there has been some talk about the gay movement I think it is important to note that the very same tactics that have worked for them would likely provide results for us as well - legally. In particular I think that an individual with a marriage license that wants to legalize his marriage with a second wife should attempt to obtain a marriage license for wife #2 while openly disclosing that he is already legally married to wife #1. When he is refused a marriage license for wife #2 he could then file suit against the state and challenge the constitutionality of the bigamy and anit-polygamy laws. As Dr. Allen pointed out the courts have already begun to realize the overstepping of the government when it comes to the liberty of individuals in contracting marriage. There is a case coming up in Texas where this very thing will be challenged. Kent Schaffer is representing Wendell Nielsen who married consenting women of legal age and is charged with bigamy. One of the things that will be challenged is the bigamy laws themselves. It may take a Federal Judge to rule on the constitutionality of the bigamy laws through an appeal or two, but I believe that this case will be the one to finally cause the bigamy and anti-polygamy laws to be ruled unconstitutional and overturned.

I've said this before. As long as there are laws & to a lesser extent, an income tax, the state will be in the business of registering marriage. That makes them & most others think they also DEFINE marriage. Polygyny therefor needs to be legal. Until it is, we will have trouble, even though an unregistered Polygyny is not ILLEGAL.

In particular I think that an individual with a marriage license that wants to legalize his marriage with a second wife should attempt to obtain a marriage license for wife #2 while openly disclosing that he is already legally married to wife #1. When he is refused a marriage license for wife #2 he could then file suit against the state and challenge the constitutionality of the bigamy and anit-polygamy laws.

With all due respect to Scarecrow, I would give a slightly different view on this. But before I do let me add that brother Scarecrow is indeed a sharp brother and one that I think has much wisdom to offer many. Even his point here is on target when speaking strictly of a legal sense in regard to the logic of it. In theory it would be legitimate to go this route if we were speaking only of legal issues. And he may even be right that a federal judge or appeals court at the federal level might overrule the bigamy statutes. Although the case in Texas might not be a good case to place much hope in as it has some issues in it that might hinder it from being a case that sets forth a healthy view of the family life.

In any case, and in a slight contrast to brother Scarecrow, there is a slight revision here that I think must be considered. Brother Scarecrow is playing in a symphony and I love his symphony! However, I notice a few ideas/instrumentalists so to speak that are apparently not harmonizing exactly as they ought to be.

First, as a Christian we must examine Scripture too, not just use a legal theory, and it likely could be that such a move to deliberately do that could cross the line of disrespect for the ruling authorities. I would almost invariably argue that this is not the best way, at least not a believer who wants to live a quiet and peaceful life before the ruling authorities. This type of approach can easily be an aggressive act that can often come forth from the heart of pride, even if only a slight degree of pride it might backfire due to it not being blessed by the wisdom and power of the Spirit. Judges are human and such a move might be read as an intentional effort to stir up trouble which might indeed go against what Paul said in 1 Tim. 2:2 and what Peter said in 2:13-17.

Additionally, along those lines, it is offensive to the culture at large. By that I mean we have to examine Paul's teaching in Romans 14 where he teaches us it is better not to do anything that offends another. The culture largely has spoken through the existing legislative laws. Using a political maneuver to overturn that is likely to be offensive to the masses.

But, on the other hand, there are millions of people today who cohabit together and very few people want to prosecute those people. Thus we can see there is a cultural vacuum there that can be insight into a directional move as to where the Spirit is at work. Since most people do not think cohabitation in and of itself is criminal there is more support culturally for people to be able to personally choose their own living conditions as they so please without the authorization or licensure from the government. Thus with millions (8 to 10 million) living that way and millions more who likely practice that it is a sign as to which route might be the best way to work, which seems to be towards deregulation instead of making a new regulation.

But, I'm sure knowing Scarecrow's sharp mind and many others here have such a sharpness in their mental acuity that it is likely someone or several are thinking, but are you not making a case based upon a consequentialist ethic. In a sense I am and admit that. But Proverbs 21:1 tells us the King's heart is in the hand of the Lord. Thus, if our motives are wrong then God may not turn the "king/judge's" heart in favor of the one who intentionally tries to use the system in that way. Thus, we have a duty to examine motives and the possible outcomes of actions carried out with improper motives.

But then, even if the first point above is not convincing, I must ask this as a second point, is it really the best goal overall to even be fighting over a term, especially one that even if we did gain a right to would still reflect an ideology that is not in line with a biblical ideology? I find that to spend hours upon hours with millions of dollars to simply place the government as the one who authorizes what God "joins together" to be somewhat unsettling to me (see Matt 19:6).

For example, in many states there is a "no fault divorce" law. How can any honest Christian ever accept that? I do not see how even a monogamous Christian who rightly understands his Bible can go down to the court and obtain a license for a type of marriage that in and of itself is grounded in a law code that says anyone can leave for just any reason and it be legal and within the bounds of acceptability. That to me is not acceptable nor is it something I want to go fight to obtain the right unto. It certainly conflicts with the biblical standard.

Also, furthermore to go ask the courts to rule to give a license is to imply that the government, instead of the person and families or overseers, is the one who truly has the right to authorize a union. Is that where we want to go? I don't think so, especially since that license is also the same license that will likely be the one used for the coupling of homosexuals under the same name, the name of marriage.

In other words, if the word marriage in society becomes the standard social term which includes men with men then why do we want to fight to gain rights to a term that does not show what we really believe? That seems off key to me, like an instrumentalist who is indeed in the symphony or orchestra but playing off tune.

There seems to be a better way. The term "marriage" either needs to be removed from the state's hands all together and they need to simply function with neutral non-religious terms, like contractual union or personal union or something of the like, and let the people define their unions as they so wish by their religious views or philosophical views.

Or we as saints, even those who are in monogamy or polygyny, need to use new terms that differ with the statist terms that have now evolved into a meaning that no longer agrees with the biblical terms. Words like "my man," "my woman," "Biblical Union, Covenant Union" or many other terms capture the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek concept, and probably even better than the terms used in the legal codes today that have Romanist ideology in them as well as even secular humanism in them.

Thus, to go through all of that, which might mean huge expenses and many years of life to just gain the right to use a term and get a license that really does not reflect the biblical view to begin with seems to me to be offbeat. Noble quest? Sure! It is grounded in a desire to grant something to those who want to live a biblical lifestyle. But does it really grant what one hopes? Respectable? Absolutely, and even one could argue a touch of brilliance in crafty thought.

But still with those accolades the better position seems to be to stand for each person having the liberty to be joined without a license so long as it is consensual adults. That position gains more ground, more freedom, and avoids the bitter war with the way to properly define a union that incites so many people to anger. When offending the authorities and culture one often loses the ability to speak with credibility towards the bigger need, salvation from sin in Christ Jesus. Why offend so many and in doing so lose the opportunity to have a credible witness to the gospel unto them?

Indeed a good case can be made that unions made by people needs to have some type of contract with it that is backed by the force of law. Many people today are making co-habitation contracts that are enforced in the civil courts when things turn south with the contracted parties. That is indeed acceptable and even wise. That route though still does not give the implication that to be joined one must go get permission from a government civil authority. Unions in the biblical days were created by God in his providence, brought together through the families or by the persons and/or spiritual leaders, not by some King, or civil government authority. To force the issue in that light might just create another set of problems unforeseen, maybe even worse than what existed before. Too it places us back into the position of where we are today, the embracing a term and license that really does not reflect the position and definition of how biblical unions form.

If the whole world next week turns to the idea that a homosexual man to man union is what is properly called a marriage, well then I will not be ruffled. I'll just re-translate the Bible to say: "all those in marriages will not be in the kingdom of heaven." And then I'll re-translate all of the Hebrew and Greek texts to say: "a man and woman who joins together in covenant," and I will use the terms "my man" and "my woman" in translating those phrases that contextually point to a biblical or Christian or natural union.

No matter how the world changes in their definitions the Bible and the words in it do not evolve. They have a fixed meaning in a historical setting and it is a simple re-translation project to fix what years of language deterioration can do in the public sphere.

Thus, I find this route to be a better route than the year after year fight in the legal sector over terms, especially a set of terms that would still need to be authorized to be used by an official not authorized to bring together the people the Lord is bringing together.

But having said that, I still want to make it clear that I still enjoy Scarecrow's orchestra! The music he plays and offers is stable and smooth overall. So I say none of that to discredit his other tunes in regard to his ideas and efforts in seeking to stand for biblical truth in this area and others. More than not he is on target though in my opinion with this approach, or one tune, slightly offbeat as it sounds to me.

Isabella said:
itainteasy said:

Oxymoron??? :?

The Civil Rights act made it illegal for you as a private individual owning a private company to discriminate who you served based on race, gender, nationality etc. It paved the way for things like non-discrimination policies in other sectors of society. So today the "non-discrimination nazis" go further and can sue a christian school and the boy scouts for not accepting gays and transexuals to participate in their private ventures and win. It caused a big encroachment into the private sector (and private lives) by the federal government.

itainteasy said:
The Civil Rights act made it illegal for you as a private individual owning a private company to discriminate who you served based on race, gender, nationality etc. It paved the way for things like non-discrimination policies in other sectors of society. So today the "non-discrimination nazis" go further and can sue a christian school and the boy scouts for not accepting gays and transexuals to participate in their private ventures and win. It caused a big encroachment into the private sector (and private lives) by the federal government.

People who invoke the Nazis to support their case usually do not have a strong case to begin with. As some wise (cracking) men once sang 'Freedom isn't free' and it isn't, people have had to fight for them, if you want to live free from discrimination yourself you have to accept that you do not have the 'right' to discriminate.

The fact that you do not like someone doesn't mean that you can deny them a job/roof/service.
Your right to freely associate with others is not impinged by allowing others that same right.
A company or group is not private if it deals with or sells services to, the public.
It only effects your private life because you let it.

B

Well I respectfully disagree. The right to sell to, not to sell to, do business with etc. based on whatever criteria you want is a basic freedom guaranteed by the constituton as Dr. Keith said. When congress makes a law to then put limits on those fredoms there is a problem. Of course this does not apply to monopolies such as electric cooperatives, etc.

How does that apply to plural marriage. If I can tell you who you have to do business with, in other words there is some control over who you have private contractual agreements with by the federal/state government, then they can go in and say how many people you can have certain contracts with etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum which they kind of are doing now.

For example if I have an apartment building and I ONLY want to rent to chinese monks over the age of 50 then by jove I should be able to. If I am a man and want to marry 10 wives according to my beliefs then I should be able to go ahead with that agreement as well.

My point, wether I invoke nazis or not, is the same as the point the founders of the USA had. I want to be able to worship, buy, sell, trade, live, grow with whom I chose not as the government thinks I sould wether they are trying to "protect" themselves or someone else when they act.

itainteasy said:
Well I respectfully disagree.

Fair enough, you have the right to disagree, but I can't think of a less Christian or American attitude as yours (in Principle) funny that......

B

:D :lol: Oh my.....lol....I might differ with both of you in part and agree in part with both you.

Should a business owner be able to do business with anyone he desires and turn away anyone he desires. Yes in some cases but no in other cases. The qualifications come into play when determining what type of business it is and for what reasons someone is turned away.

Suppose, John Doe is a medical doctor. Should he be able to turn someone away based upon their ethnicity? Should he be able to discriminate in that way? What if he is the only medical doctor in the town and there is not another for another 100 miles? I would say no that that type of service must be rendered equally to all. It seems to me to fall into the common grace sphere of business. Health matters are common natural issues that government ought to have some say in as to the requirement of service to all.

On the other hand, suppose John Doe is a minister and he plants a church. Should the government be able to require him to accept a Buddhist into the fellowship if he and the mission is a Protestant Christian? Should the government require services by all in that way? I would say not. That falls into the special grace sphere. The government should not require citizens to pay tithes to any one religion or denomination above or over another. It should be left to be purely voluntary.

Suppose, however, John Doe owns and runs a religious bookstore. Can he determine what type of books he wants to carry? Sure he can and should be free to do that. If he wants to sell only Christian books he ought to be free. If he wants to sell only philosophy he should be free to do so. But should he be able to tell someone of a certain religion that they cannot come into the store to buy some of his books? I would say no and the law currently would as well. If he opens his business to the public then there are some standard non-discrimination laws that ought to apply.

My point then is that there are some variables in this that has to be taken into account. What is the purpose of the business? Is it seen a sacred or common (secular) business? Is the business open to all or is it a private business open to only members who meet certain standards? Factors like that play into the equation.

And then on the moral/theological side, a business owner who claims the name of Christ if in step with the Spirit would want to welcome any and all people in his store (so long as they are peaceful) in order that he would have an opportunity to befriend them for the gospel. What right-minded saint would not want to have lost souls come in so that he might have an opportunity to share the gospel about Jesus Christ if such an opportunity were to arise by providence? As saints we must always remember that the GOSPEL takes priority over all else. If we truly love the Lord and if we truly have his heart we will hurt over those who are lost and we will be eager to have people of any ethnicity, of any walk of life to frequent our business so we might have a brief opportunity to share some bit of love and truth to them in and about life in Christ. If they buy something from us in the process that is a side benefit as a plus, but our real and first mission is always and will forever be about the gospel. Discrimination is not just in some cases illegal, it is in some cases even worse than that, it is in some cases a violation of the law of Love in Christ as it is negligence of both duty and opportunity. It is an absolute shame for someone to call themselves a saint in Christ and yet not care and be burdened for the souls of the lost and to use their business as an opportunity to befriend the lost who need the Lord Jesus Christ. Those who do not use their trades or business as an opportunity to spread the fragrance of Christ as they can or have opportunity are grace abusers. No matter civil law says those saints, if truly saints, have lost their way and are failing to appreciate the grace they have and live in if that be the case.

Back when a thing called the "Constitution for these united States" still applied, free people had the Right to "free association". The Right of truly "private" contract was guaranteed, but not "granted", by the Constitution.

Free people, to whom the First Amendment guarantee of free exercise of faith before YHVH once applied, don't need anything "legalized" in order to freely associate before Him.

The Bill of Rights still exists, but it no longer applies to people who have long since (to paraphrase Ben Franklin) "traded essential Liberty for a little temporary security". For the very same reason, there is no such thing as a "private business" licensed by the State to engage in "commerce". Revelation 13 outlines where the deception of "public-private partnership" as a requirement to work, travel, or eat will lead.

Those who belong to Caesar, rather than YHVH, are finding out -- just as His son warned -- that "the sons are free", but slaves are not.

Invalid premises lead to invalid conclusions.

"Suppose, John Doe is a medical doctor. Should he be able to turn someone away based upon their ethnicity? Should he be able to discriminate in that way? What if he is the only medical doctor in the town and there is not another for another 100 miles? I would say no that that type of service must be rendered equally to all. It seems to me to fall into the common grace sphere of business. Health matters are common natural issues that government ought to have some say in as to the requirement of service to all."

Very good point. I don't know about medical care being rendered "equally to all" being a reality today anyway or even it being the right thing in all circumstances, though.

"Back when a thing called the "Constitution for these united States" still applied, free people had the Right to "free association". The Right of truly "private" contract was guaranteed, but not "granted", by the Constitution."

Very good as usual Mark. What you mean by not "granted" is that you need to earn the thing you want to associate about right? In other words the government is not the one to create the "permission" for you to assocaite and then tell you who to do it with. I hope I am understanding properly. Elaborate.

Very good point. I don't know about medical care being rendered "equally to all" being a reality today anyway or even it being the right thing in all circumstances, though.

The key is to distinguish between the common grace sphere doctrine (universally applicable to all people) and special grace sphere doctrine (applicable to only the elect or believers).

If the business or service is designed for all then there ought not to be discrimination in it. In other words, if John Doe comes in for the service then the business owner should not be free to discriminate against him or her if the person has the money for the service and is otherwise compliant and a peaceful person. If John walks in and he is a Hispanic he should not be turned away from the business just because of his race. But if he walks in and causes a serious problem because he is yelling or causing some problem like that then he is no longer peaceable and the business should not have serve him even if the business is open to the entire common grace sphere, i.e. all people without distinction. Think of it like this. The Bible says God lets it rain on the just and unjust. In other words he gives some benevolence to all people no matter what condition they are in or even how they are living.

However, he does not give himself in the special way, as with the Holy Spirit in all people. That is a special grace sphere. So those organizations or businesses designed to serve believers should be exempt and free from the requirements to serve any and all as they are on a different sphere and under a different class of laws. In other words, a private company that runs its business as a religious ministry ought to be able to choose rather it will or will not serve people based upon there faith views. Thus a Presbyterian church ought not to be forced to let a homosexual join their church and partake of communion or lead worship or be an elder etc.

But in the case with medical care we are on a different sphere and back in the common grace sphere. In those cases, as it seems to me, those professionals deal with life issues. For medical care someone's life should not be hindered or be something someone can freely turn away if they are in the business of serving people with medical needs. If the person can pay for the services, is a peaceable person, then to discriminate against them would be a violation of their right to life and the pursuit of happiness. Of course other factors might exist that would give the medical professional the right to turn them away. If the person is fighting with them, trying to hurt them, or something of the like (a non-peaceable person). But outside of some extreme case like that it seems to me that since we hold life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness to be of highest order we cannot allow a person to be rejected for treatment based upon some personal or preference the medical doctor may have against the person. A medical doctor should not be able to say: "well too bad, you're a communist socialist in political thought therefore I'm not going to serve you and help you even though you are sick and in need of medicine." If the medical business is for the general public then that would be something the law needs to regulate against.

But, take the same example. Suppose the local Baptist church has among their body a team of medical doctors. They might decide they want to open a religious medical house to serve their own people. They should in that case be free to serve ONLY those of their particular persuasion of thought if it is a closed or ministry to only that group of people. In such a case it would be wrong for the civil government to step in and force those people in that scenario to serve a person outside of that faith group if the purpose was a religious founding and special grace ministry with medical services.

That is probably too simplistic of a presentation but I'm in a hurry.

"I read this recently and found it confusing. Maybe Dr. Allen or Scarecrow can simplify what this article is saying Colorado's stand on polygamy is?"

Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states to the best of my knowledge. Amendment 2 passed in Colorado and was then deemed unconstitutional and struck down. Amendment 2 was aimed at the gay population. Proposition 8 that was passed in California will likely see the same fate as Amendment 2 in Colorado.

Colorado's law enforcement branches typically do not bother anyone practicing polygamy as long as they are not violating other laws in a similar way that Utah approaches it. Colorado has a segment of population that is very right wing "Christian" but their behavior is often less than I would expect from Christian leaders - they are more like the crusaders. Before I moved from Colorado last year I was tempted to test the bigamy laws but it would have been premature for me to do so...but it was awfully tempting at the time.

This may be helpful in understanding the situation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romer_v._Evans

Back