• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Lew White on "Polygamy"

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I am attaching a link to a post on Lew White's site called "Polygamy".

(For those that do not know him, he is the author of a book called Fossilized Customs on the pagan roots of many so-called "Christian" traditions. I found his book quite interesting, and valuable as well. If there is any criticism of that work, it might be that he has been characterized as "going overboard" on some elements of paganism, and 'finding it under every rock.' Unfortunately, he missed the pagan roots of Monogamy-Worship!)

http://www.fossilizedcustoms.com/polygamy.html

I am still looking for an email address for him on his site, since I hope to get the following email to him, which I'll post as an "open letter":

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear brother Lew,

I must admit that I was disappointed and more than a little surprised by your comments on "polygamy" in the article on your website.

For one who normally exercises discernment in recognizing pagan influences on religion, customs, and the "traditions of men", you failed on this one. The claim that the "ideal" of Scripture is "one man and one woman" ONLY is NOT supported by Scripture!

It IS, however, a central tenet of Greco-Roman paganism and goddess worship, along with the related feminist idols of "egalitariansim", "equality of the sexes", and matriarchy. It is a denial of the central relationship of our Kinsman-Redeemer (singular, echad) to His PEOPLE (plural), of our King to His subjects (plural), of a master to his servants (plural), and of a Husband to his wives (plural).

It is not my intention in a single email to provide an exegesis of God's Word on marriage (for which the Hebrew HAS no word that means EITHER "polygyny" OR "monogamy"). His Word contains FAR more on the topic than a single article can do justice, but it is CONSISTENT, and can ONLY be properly understood in the context of Covenant (which IS between one man and one woman before Him). But a man may enter into MORE THAN ONE COVENANT, just as our Elohim did!

A brief summary should suffice, at least for an introduction. God does not prohibit something, and then give GUIDELINES for the practice! (compare homosexuality, and Ex. 21:10, and MANY others.) God does not give gifts that are sinful (II Sam. 12:8), nor call the polygynist recipient a "man after God's own heart".

Nor does God ever call Himself a sinner (compare Eze. 23 and Jer. 3, where He has TWO wives, variously Israel and Judah). He also tells the parable of the ten virgins (no, NOT "bridesmaids", in spite of Neo-PC translations and Romanism). He wrote letters to SEVEN churches (not "One Universal Church") and speaks (Isaiah 4:1) of "seven women" who will take hold of one man saying, "...take away my reproach". Isaiah 4:2 makes clear that this time of completion, and polygyny, in the coming Messianic era is a time of blessing.

There is NO basis for the Roman-inspired claim that 'the bride' MUST be singular, when in fact His teaching repeatedly and explicitly says otherwise (although a polygynous house in proper Covenant relationship to a single head which serves Him can become "echad" in Him, as promised).

The presumedly-monogamous Adam and Eve (since Scripture is technically silent on many specifics of that family, and ANY other females) proves only that their union was sufficient for God's purposes ("one flesh" being key to the creation of a baby). The corollary "lesson" of the First Monogamist is that this "ideal" marriage was also the one "by which sin entered the world" - hardly an ideal recommendation. (The point here, of course, is not exegesis, but rather to "let us reason together". The "ideal" notion of Monogamy as a tradition of Greco-Roman man owes far more to pagan goddess worship than to Scripture. It might even, with more than a little justification, be called "forbidding to marry": a "doctrine of devils" which has replaced God's commandments.)

Even the "new" covenant teaching of Paul in I Cor. 7 makes a clear case for when "modern" polygyny can be REQUIRED (if we obey Him, rather than men, and avoid licensure before Caesar):

A woman is "not to depart" from her husband. And the believing husband is simply NOT to put her away (nor, by inclusion, to "divorce" her). She must remain celibate, or be reconciled to him, since to do otherwise is by definition adultery. But He is "not under bondage", and may well remarry (clearly a superior option to fornication or other sin, for those who "burn").

If she repents, and returns to her husband, SHE REMAINS HIS WIFE. A Godly husband WILL take her back, following genuine repentance, for reconciliation! (It is not His desire that "any should perish", and everything about His Word is directed toward reconciliation and redemption.) This is the "reproach" that so abounds in fallen Amerika, and which is being remedied by those who seek His face, and read His Word, in SPITE of our Romanized, monogamy-worshipping culture of idolatry, and the resultant "serial polygamy".

Read Tom Shipley's excellent work, Man and Woman in Biblical Law, for more information on how the pernicious false doctrine of monogamy (idolatry) denies the central Truth of the Gospel, or J. Wesley Stiver's Eros Made Sacred, for more information on the pagan nature of the idolatry of monogamy itself. You bought into the lie, my brother!

(And, by the way, your comments about slavery were interesting, if ironic in the extreme. We DO live in a land of slavery, , and certainly not by Caesar! You are his slaves who you submit yourself to obey, and most people today have "made a treaty with the inhabitants of the land" that they were told NOT to, and as a result, they BELONG to Caesar! So do their wives, and children! Read Exodus 21 carefully, and remember that our Savior commanded that we "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is His". The question then becomes - Whom do YOU serve? And to Whom do we, our wives, and our children belong? The prince of this world certainly has a claim for those who do not discern the difference!)

Please find and read those works, Lew, and be like the Bereans on this topic. You have ripped away the pagan veil on so many other subjects - do not be fooled here. Study for yourself, to confirm that it is true.

Blessings in Him,

Mark

Very good retort Mark, good job fighting the good fight. Mr. White is perhaps very good in some areas, but I don't have a very good impression on him due to this article from more than just a polygamy standpoint. He used Proverbs 6 as if it said we should conform just to avoid arguments, that is certainly not what that passage or any part of the Bible teaches.

It occoured to me that there is no case in the Bible where God (even Christ) is described as being married singularly. You pointed out where God was described as married, and there are no other cases to my knowledge. Can you confirm or deny my memory on this issue?

...there is no case in the Bible where God (even Christ) is described as being married singularly. You pointed out where God was described as married, and there are no other cases to my knowledge. Can you confirm or deny my memory on this issue?

Actually, I hadn't specifically thought about that question in that context, Jair. I think you may be correct; the only two explicit cases I can recall (although it's more like one case, and two witnesses) is/are Jeremiah and Ezekiel.

I have always bristled at the 'bride' (singular) reference, too. After all, as I noted in that letter, Yeshua Himself told the story of the ten virgins, five of whom are prepared to become brides. And even the letters in Revelation are to seven churches, of course. It has always seemed like the Singular Bride is always the claim of a 'Church' which considers itself alone to be 'universal', and 'worthy'. (And not to mention, rich, and in need of nothing...)

Not to mention every cult who claims to be the only true remnant of the one bride. One bride theology had been nothing but division for churches, if they could get polygamy they could get the one Christ but different churches with different relationships with him thing... As it sits everyone has a superiority complex, they must be the one and everyone else is flawed.

Here I go again. I believe that the seven churches are indeed representative of brides of Christ, but once betrothed they become in effect the bride through unity with Jesus.

As I recently wrote in my new teaching on the new thing, God showed me that the number eight is representative of new things and is also, (among other things) the number of perfection. The one man and one woman marriage was the seed and the seven women and one man is the full grown plant. As Mark pointed out before, the one man and one woman marriage was the source of sin and therefore the imperfect marriage. The seven righteous women and one righteous man marriage, (Is. 4:1) is the end point in Gods plan and will be symbolic of the perfect marriage.

Be blessed,

Ray

I don't disagree with the concept of His House becoming "one" at all, Dr. Ray.

The Hebrew word "echad" is a fascinating study, too, of course. It has always bothered me that those who claim to believe that 'three' can be One, or argue about what "one flesh" might mean, cannot understand how, through the kind of headship represented by our Savior (which is what the husband is to be)...
...that such a man's house, and his wives, might be echad together, in Him.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark C said:

... or that Jesus prayed that we ALL might be one.

Has it occurred to anyone that the Greek word which I understand we translater as "church", ecclesias, or called out ones, is a singular term for a group of related individuals?

That means that grammatically, it is the equivivalent of herd, flock, and harem!

Try announcing that the church service is nothing more or less than a gathering of the Holy Harem, and watch the mouths drop! :D

...On a different note, when writing ti Mr Lew White, you might add that during Israel's history, nations rose and fell around them. Egyptians, Hilistines, Assyrians, Medo-Persians, Greeks, and Romans. Throughout that time, Israel practiced polygyny and endured. The others practiced one or another forms of monogamy, and disappeared. Add it up.

Mark C said:

ah, yes, the third rail of poly. (it scares the daylights out of some folks) as a mans wives each become one with him, then they are somehow becoming one with each other (not in a sexual sense).
i have always seen the singular bride of Yeshua as composed of many brides, but it is a revelation to me (and so obvious once i saw it) that we are married to him individually, with all of our variations of faith and understanding, before we become with each other. instead of trying to fulfill his prayer by working on becoming one with each other, if we would each focus on becoming one with him then the "oneness" with each other would absolutely be the natural outgrowth of the relationship with him.

drray,
you might be reading just a little too much into the 7 plus 1 equals the perfect 8 thing. the 7 are agreeing to provide for themselves and thus are concubines. not exactly the perfect representation in my mind. plus, the probability is that he already has several wives and that is why they are only asking for concubine status. i do not know, just something to consider.

ok cec,
my new name;

Weebling Patriarch Of The Holy Harem

("of" not meaning above or over, but "part of")

Excellent Mark, You have spoken the truth well. Lew has his problems in other areas like tithing and other ETERNAL Torah principles. Let's leave it at that so we/I don't get into lashon hara evil speaking.

Mark,

I read Lew White's article on polygamy. He doesn't realize it, but he made a great argument for plural marriage today. In fact, I used it as a point of one of my messages at the recent Biblical Families retreat.

He says that Muslims are multiplying much more rapidly because 1) they have more children, and 2) can take more than one wife, and thus have more children. If Christianity continues to hold to the one man-one woman view, we will be outnumbered by sheer volume if nothing else! We have an obligation as believers to 'be fruitful and multiply'. Just to keep pace with the growth of Islam, shouldn't the church be ENCOURAGING Christians to have more children?

Something to think about....

Blessings,

:cool:

Excellent point, Doc. I guess we could simply say that if we obey Him, we are blessed exactly as He promised - and that includes the 'fruit of the womb'.

I would add this for any who may have better information than I do (and especially since I am equally sensitive to brother Moshe's valid concern about lashon hora (gossip, or the 'evil tongue') that I have attempted to contact Lew with these concerns via email. Since he does not publish (that I could find on the website) such an address, I tried all of the methods I could think of to send it to him, but have seen no indication that he received my comments. Again, if anyone can provide such a better email address (or a relay!) I would be appreciative...

Blessings,
Mark

Yes, the Islamic population explosion has been a long time problem, now it is reaching critical. Of course North America barely has enough kids, and almost all parts of Europe don't even to keep their existing population and infrastructure. Bad tidings.

Would it be possible to get the URL to that excellent video on the muslim population explosion that was shown at ther MemDay retreat?

Seems like the only time anyone can contact him is when you want to order materials. :) Shabbat Shalom

Mark C said:
Excellent point, Doc. I guess we could simply say that if we obey Him, we are blessed exactly as He promised - and that includes the 'fruit of the womb'.

I would add this for any who may have better information than I do (and especially since I am equally sensitive to brother Moshe's valid concern about lashon hora (gossip, or the 'evil tongue') that I have attempted to contact Lew with these concerns via email. Since he does not publish (that I could find on the website) such an address, I tried all of the methods I could think of to send it to him, but have seen no indication that he received my comments. Again, if anyone can provide such a better email address (or a relay!) I would be appreciative...

Blessings,
Mark

Back