• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Libertarian Christians

Yup... :cool:
#manstatus #beardedbarking
The West Clan grows... physically and spiritually! Amen.
#hardcorehusbanding #extremedadding
#extremedadding .. awesome,
#hardcorehusbanding, I am NOT gonna google those terms :p

Read this article on
Circumcision and the “War on Self-Pollution”
Quite a title there. I noticed when I went to link it here the author is a woman.

Anti-circumcision bias has been the pervue of women throughout history. Moses' wife was appalled at the practice, even though she knew God was willing to kill her husband for not following the Abrahamic covenant after being called at the burning bush.

The key principles in that story is: "Judgement begins at home."
Before Moses was to lead the people of Israel out of physical bondage, he had to get out of the leadership bondage of his wife, the mental bondage of the Midianite thoughts, and submit to God as his only Master.

Noahide covenant gave 7 mitzvahs to the Righteous Gentile who beleive in G-d for them to live by.

The Noahide Laws
  1. Do establish laws. (He did not specify what ones)
  2. Don’t curse G-d.
  3. Do not practice idolatry.
  4. Do not engage in illicit sexuality.
  5. Do not participate in bloodshed.
  6. Do not rob.
  7. Do not eat flesh from a living animal.
The 613 Mitzvah given to Moses are for those under the covenant of Abraham either by birth or by oath, and I think I'll stop there an maybe open up a new thread if I can figure out how to do it with out lighting a fuse.

Acts 15 is the Apostolic commentary on the Mosaic Law as it applies to Gentiles.

Act 15:29 (ESV)
29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.”

Abstain from:
1) Sacrifices to idols.
Paul later argues that idols are nothing & the meat is still meat, so eating meat sacrificed to idols is a non-issue, but to those who thinks it means something it does. The same belief of the god imbuing the eater w divine power is used by Christ Himself in dealing w the shallow seekers after He fed them & they wanted another free meal. He used both pagan sacrificial terminology & pseudocannibalism to turn them away from Him. The disciples were just as offended but refused to leave.

2) Blood.
This applies to both living & dead animals, as a drink or in Bavarian Blood Sausage. Blood is life, not food. Respect life. We eat flesh, not life.

3) Things strangled.
This is a health issue & a blood issue. There may even have been pagan ritualistic association w strangling as a form of slaughter although most rituals that I've found reveled in the spilt blood.

4) Sexual Immorality.
This brings all of the "moral law" in from Moses & supports the cooperative discussion Jews & Christians can have on personal behavior & sexual mores.

Other commandments of the original 10 are repeated in the New Testament except for Honoring the Sabbath Day.

I know not where you're getting your "Noahide laws", but it's NOT Biblical. God never commanded people to "make laws". The uniqueness of the Mosaic Law was that it established NO legislative branch & NO executive branch: no "head of state" or police force. Every Israelite was to enforce the law, execute the condemned through stoning, & abide by the rulings of the judge. There is no method of amendment if they wanted to change something.

"In vain do u worship Me, teaching as doctrine the precepts of men."

The key principles in that story is: "Judgement begins at home."

Before Moses was to lead the people of Israel out of physical bondage, he had to get out of the leadership bondage of his wife, the mental bondage of the Midianite thoughts, and submit to God as his only Master.

Thats an interesting take on the key principles.

What I see reading that story is that the wife was upset, and circumcised their son, but where do you get that she was the reason it had not been done?
It was Moses job right? How do we know she wasn't upset at Moses for not circumcising his son? (Sincere question, I have not studied the language in the passage)

There are other articles linked here about circumsicion, and one I read years ago made a decent case for the Pharisees being the originators if the "all off" cut, that is done now. I am actually a country gal that is not bothered by blood or surgeries (I even do them and assist with them).
I am appalled by female circumsicion, as it is not biblical, and find it interesting that the so called medical arguments, are so similar, and are basically equally valid for male or female circumsicion, and that most circumsicions in the US are done for "medical reasons," not moral or religious ones.

I think (right brain function here) that baptizing babies is silly, and I think medical circumcision is silly.
On the other hand I totally respect parents who choose to circumcise boys for religious reasons, and doubt their sons will complain. :)

Guys, if y'all want to continue a circumcision chat I can break off a new thread, or feel free to just start a new one.

Sorry Andrew. Splitting it off makes sense.

Acts 15 is the Apostolic commentary on the Mosaic Law as it applies to Gentiles.

Act 15:29 (ESV)
29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.”

Abstain from:
1) Sacrifices to idols.
Paul later argues that idols are nothing & the meat is still meat, so eating meat sacrificed to idols is a non-issue, but to those who thinks it means something it does. The same belief of the god imbuing the eater w divine power is used by Christ Himself in dealing w the shallow seekers after He fed them & they wanted another free meal. He used both pagan sacrificial terminology & pseudocannibalism to turn them away from Him. The disciples were just as offended but refused to leave.

2) Blood.
This applies to both living & dead animals, as a drink or in Bavarian Blood Sausage. Blood is life, not food. Respect life. We eat flesh, not life.

3) Things strangled.
This is a health issue & a blood issue. There may even have been pagan ritualistic association w strangling as a form of slaughter although most rituals that I've found reveled in the spilt blood.

4) Sexual Immorality.
This brings all of the "moral law" in from Moses & supports the cooperative discussion Jews & Christians can have on personal behavior & sexual mores.

Other commandments of the original 10 are repeated in the New Testament except for Honoring the Sabbath Day.

I know not where you're getting your "Noahide laws", but it's NOT Biblical. God never commanded people to "make laws". The uniqueness of the Mosaic Law was that it established NO legislative branch & NO executive branch: no "head of state" or police force. Every Israelite was to enforce the law, execute the condemned through stoning, & abide by the rulings of the judge. There is no method of amendment if they wanted to change something.

"In vain do u worship Me, teaching as doctrine the precepts of men."

I would make one minor adjustment here, Paul does say not to eat food sacrificed to idols. He just also says that it's powerless by itself and there's no need to verify that meat wasn't sacrificed to idols.

I know not where you're getting your "Noahide laws", but it's NOT Biblical
Genesis from the commandments given to Adam and Noah. The Term Noahide Laws was not used but the commandments you said were not in the Bible are, for example
Genesis 9:4–6
4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.

6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

re-read Genesis.

bib·li·cal
ˈbiblik(ə)l/
adjective
  1. relating to or contained in the Bible.
    "the biblical account of creation"
    • resembling the language or style of the Bible.
      "there is a biblical cadence in the last words he utters"
    • very great; on a large scale.
      "we need rainfall of biblical proportions to bring us back to normal"

Yeah, seriously, if you want to hash out circumcision or Noahide laws or basically anything other than libertarian philosophy or the relative merits of the Libertarian Party versus other mechanisms of political engagement, please find the appropriate thread(s) and move the conversation there.

Back