• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Lions and tigers and....wolves? Oh My!

That opinion is quite acceptable here. :)
Do you think that "burning in the bosom" is much different from the "I have peace in my heart" approach others claim to have when it comes to knowing or obeying the truth?
The difference is that they accept it as a sign to answer the question "Is the book of mormon true?" This is trying to get a single answer to a huge conglomeration of doctrines and ideas, and accepting as conclusive a "proof test" that is not biblical. This is often a jumping off point to accepting that Joseph Smith was a true prophet (in spite of failing the prophet test of Deut.) Because they say to judge him (J.S.) by his fruit (the book of mormon) and then finally accepting the mormon church and priesthood as true too. I love my family that are LDS, but I see that the men (even my dad and uncles) lack the authority of a true patriarch. I believe this is because they accept the incorrect teachings and the authority of the church leaders. They also seem to be disconnected in a way from a true scriptural foundation or understanding. My mom and uncle both believe all prophesy is conditional, and people repenting could effect a different outcome.
I really don't like the fruit, and am of the opinion that any good in the mormon church or people is the result of their sincerity and the law being written on hearts.
In contrast, what you suggest is allowing the holy spirit to lead and convict you in the action of walking out your faith, very different from using a feeling to answer an abstract loaded and faulty question.
The scripture and reason are far better in determining truth.

My hubby would joke that "burning in the bosom" is indigestion, and it means you probably need to change your diet. Perhaps there is more truth to that then a simple literal reading would convey! Lol

I was able to go into great detail about plural marriage and I filled them with as much information as they could take. They came back a couple more times and each time I went deeper into why the Mormon religion was wrong to suppress plural marriage.
We often have good conversation with the elders so called (they are less then half our age) and it sounds like you do too. One never knows what seeds were planted, or how they might grow.

The sad thing about mormon polygamy is that they first added to the word and elevated polygamy beyond the place it has in the bible, then crossed the road and landed in the oposite ditch forbidding it. Far better it is to just affirm the wisdom of YHWH and leave the line where He put it.

This is trying to get a single answer to a huge conglomeration of doctrines and ideas, and accepting as conclusive a "proof test" that is not biblical.
Sort of like those who reject polygyny and accuse those involved of adultery and the conglomeration of false doctrine and ideas that go with it(?) Since Mormons can have indigestion as a proof to their wacky heresies, evangelicals and others can have a brain fart for theirs! That's fair. :eek: ;)

We got an unexpected after dark visit from missionaries the other night, and hubby told them in conversation that he believed everyone should lean on the holy spirit and not follow any man because we are all imperfect.
Sometimes they come back. *grin*

HAH! I like the man for a reason :D

I sure prefer "come let us reason together" to any "burning in the bosom" or other feeling someone may claim. That is a super dumb and unstable foundation for faith!
Just my opinion here.
Saaaame here. I live not far away from a notorious church that values weird spiritual experiences more than scripture and they are a hot mess.

Do you think that "burning in the bosom" is much different from the "I have peace in my heart" approach others claim to have when it comes to knowing or obeying the truth?

I sure do. The best I could say for peace in their heart is that your conscience isn't condemning you, so you have boldness toward God in prayer. That's a long ways away from determining what is the truth and what isn't. My heart can usually find a way to be at peace with a lot of unholy behavior...

Back