• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Little Tail on the Right...

CecilW

Real Person
Male
I was thinking about how to explain the relation of PM to the big picture, as someone accused me of being all about PM, instead of all about Jesus -- an assessment with which I disagree, but understand as my belief in it has been a sticking point and cause for multiple conversations between us while we are in absolute agreement about Jesus. Anyway, here is what occurred to me during the night hours invested in pondering this deeply important topic ... ;) You may disagree with this assessment, but I found it interesting and valid.

If the whole subject of Family in the Bible were the lowercase letter "u", polygamy would be the little tail in the lower right corner.

In other words, there is SO MUCH that God has to say about family, that the subject of PM is just one, actually relatively small, part.

Now imagine that you grew up accustomed to writing your lower case "u"s without a tail, but met someone who chose to use it. You might well begin arguing that the use of the little tail was wrong.

Would you be right? No.

Would there be anything wrong with your continuing to write it without the tail? Of course not. It is a valid alternative which still clearly communicates. Usually. But you should accept the right of those who choose to use the tail as well. Fact is, they are technically more correct.

So why do they spend so much time defending their position regarding its use? :? Because YOU are so determined to attack it in the face of overwhelming historical evidence on their side! :eek: :roll: :lol:

In the same way, we talk a lot about PM, even though in some ways it is the small, take-it-or-leave it portion of the subject of Family in the Bible. Why? Because folks work so hard to condemn it despite it's Biblical and historical validity, as well as value today.
Ok, there it is. Today's parable from Sir BumbleBerry. *grin*

I guess I am just not sleep deprived enough to get this..... :)

Hmmm. Expanded it. Is it better? Or still too high level conceptual vague to be worth anything?

I get it. Interesting way to picture it. Thanks!

i am a female and i dont "get" the title either, ali ..... so i asked a ...'eh-hm ...male .... he had never heard of it, but after having a day to think it over i think i could make a fair guess. is it possible to explain it to us, cecil? :? pleeeease?

1) cecil, how about you just drop the first sentence as there seems to be no need for the confusion ;)

2) your analogy is a reasonable way to show that you do not feel that poly is the be-all end-all of life before YHWH.
howsomever, may i just point out that the goils in Is. 4:1 seem to feel that poly was important to their matrimonial state; "to take away our reproach."

reproach being such a big deal that little david was willing to face down a giant to remove it;
1Sa 17:26 And David spake to the men that stood by him, saying , What shall be done to the man that killeth this Philistine, and taketh away the reproach from Israel? for who [is] this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?

Removed the offending opening sentence. You're right, Steve. Of no value to the point of the post. My apologies, Mary@HisFeet_9.

I apologize if I seem to have demeaned poly. As a person who has stuck to my beliefs through the loss of two marriages, one directly due to it, and one using it as an excuse, I hope we can all agree that I do consider it important.

Certainly I agree that the Isaiah 4:1 ladies are on spot regarding their reproach, and wish more people understood it.

My point was that there is so much MORE under the topic of Marriage and Family done God's way, that the topic of PM OUGHT to be a simple "of course" flourish on the side. It is sad that it requires so much time and effort to defend it, when there are so many other issues to consider. Were it not for the unreasoning opposition, it would not be necessary.

Of course, the same can and has probably been said about every other doctrine and practice that God has restored to the church.

Still, I thought that the little tail on the "u" did a pretty good job of placing it in perspective here and now.

Of course, no-one is obligated to agree. Sir BumbleBerry gets his daily ration of Jelly Beans regardless. :lol:

non of the little things that people disagree on are all that important until people start coercing others to agree with what they "know" YHWH wants.

Coercer Extrordinair;
steve

I understand the visual metaphor. I agree that that the God centric marriage union may vary in design, provided it does not vary in the intention. It's just the darn title of the post that might lead one astray from the very good example you gave us. Then again it did catch my eye and get me reading..LOL
Pat

Back