• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Love, Service and Submission in Marriage

My wife works outside of the home. We do not have any children at home; they've all grown and left. We do not necessarily need her income, it's more of a luxury than a necessity, but I have made the choice ask her to continue working. It helps give us extra cushion, and we do not have children at home to care for. We like to take trips to see our kids and grandkid so that's basically the reason. However, if it becomes too stressful and all consuming, I will absolutely have her cut back or quit and be at home. Thankfully with good financial decisions, God has blessed us to be in a place where we are OK on one income, should it require that. I absolutely hate debt, will not take on debt, and try to be a good steward of the money God has provided for me.

As a career woman by necessity, rather than choice, a husband doesn't fire you for telling the truth. He doesn't intentionally financially devastate you in the middle of the pandemic. He doesn't insist you work an 80 hour week and leave you to manage the necessities of life alone. He doesn't intentionally undermine you and belittle you in order to look better in front of others.

If you're going to pour your heart and soul into something, it should be family, not a job.
Im glad you mentioned this, I had actually been thinking about this post recently and how I left off the fact that the typical place of employment one pursues a career in, often considers that individual as replaceable, having little obligation and requiring no real loyalty towards that indivdual, caring only about what that individual can do for it. Not forgetting to mention that all the blood, sweat, and tears said individual invested into the building of that career belongs to and continues to benefit the employer after the individual is gone. Makes me think of Jacob and Laban.

Back