• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Making Progress on the church acceptance front

I believe the restriction that a Bishop and deacon must be the husband of one wife refers to the fact that they were not divorced.
It was an idiom. In greek it is actually "one woman man". It was a common idiom in Roman culture to define a woman who did not cheat on her husband as "one man"; they would write it on their headstones. Men in Roman culture were expected to cheat and sleep around. Paul is using a common latin idiom in greek and applying it to men. Meaning the man must not be promiscuous. Which makes sense given that Paul would be excluding himself from church leadership since he was not married to one woman. My 2 cents.

That is true.
But beyond that, we in our family are experiencing spiritual opposition at levels that I have never experienced before.

I now return this thread to Mr DeLuca will all apologies.
Ha! I am bowing out for the time being. I am keeping matters mostly private. We are doing well in the new church that we are attending, but I will not go into further details.

I have two comments related to this paragraph and one in response to @FollowingHim's hidden comment:
  1. At the risk of being redundant, I want to circle back, as did @FollowingHim, to addressing the title you gave to this thread: I want to strongly encourage you to break free of the shackles of seeking the acceptance of made-by-men churches, as that is a topsy-turvy arrangement in which mortal humans have elevated their standards over those within our Lord's Word.
It was a joke guys. The worship pastor who said to bring the wife or girlfriend or both (which is why I titled this thread as such), didn't really mean it, and if you followed the thread, you would see that he is the same person who booted me from the orchestra.

Last edited:
Steve,
I can see what you are saying, and agree there is merit to it. Polygyny can potentially make the whole family stronger and richer. There can be unique blessings that go along with it.

It can also be a train wreck of great horror. Great care is required, though great good can come of it.
I am of the opinion that the commitment aspect has to be very high for anyone to consider it for themselves. Those who quit when the going gets rough, will give the rest of us a black eye of embarrassment.

I am of the opinion that the commitment aspect has to be very high for anyone to consider it for themselves. Those who quit when the going gets rough, will give the rest of us a black eye of embarrassment.
I agree but you've got some 50% of monogamous relationships with people quiting. There's not a great record of commitment there already. So I don't think it makes us look any worse than marriage looks from monogamy-only relationships.

So I don't think it makes us look any worse than marriage looks from monogamy-only relationships.
But people will not compare it that way, we have to do much better than them in order to be considered equal.

But people will not compare it that way, we have to do much better than them in order to be considered equal.
Like any relationship success or failure, people will view it how they want. All relationships should be undertaken by those who are 100% committed to making it work but there will be failures; we all sin. How people view any failure is between them and God. He is my Judge not them.

Like any relationship success or failure, people will view it how they want. All relationships should be undertaken by those who are 100% committed to making it work but there will be failures; we all sin. How people view any failure is between them and God. He is my Judge not them.
Well, they want to view it as wrong, sinful, etc., and anything that they can use to validate their preconceived notions, they will seize on.

I would like for poly to become more acceptable in society. Unfortunately, the poly that seems to be most acceptable today, is not poly that Scripture approves of. I think we make a tremendous amount of effort sometimes to argue for polygyny, for various reasons, and one of them I suppose, is to make polygyny more acceptable within the body of Christ, with or without the organized church putting their stamp of approval on it. Ultimately, I think the bottom line that I think we can all agree on, is that in order for that to take place, we need to be shining examples of what a godly home looks like.

Ultimately, I think the bottom line that I think we can all agree on, is that in order for that to take place, we need to be shining examples of what a godly home looks like.

200.gif

Ultimately, I think the bottom line that I think we can all agree on, is that in order for that to take place, we need to be shining examples of what a godly home looks like.
Can't work. You will be seen as freaks due to current ruling ideology. Only way to achieve this is return to natural order by claiming and proving that society has "natural shape/form" and polygyny is part of natural order.

Unless society accepts that hierarchy is natural and not equality no return to polygyny is possible.

Unless society accepts that hierarchy is natural and not equality no return to polygyny is possible.
An interesting point.
The businesses that masquerade as churches will accept polygamy and same sex marriage before they will accept polygyny.

An interesting point.
The businesses that masquerade as churches will accept polygamy and same sex marriage before they will accept polygyny.
What do you mean by polygamy?

By definition polygyny is subset of polygamy.

What do you mean by polygamy?

By definition polygyny is subset of polygamy.
Polygamy allows a woman to have more than one husband.

Back