• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Marriage doesn't have to be....

That was in the case of rape it was 50 shekels. For seducing, you must endow her, if he refuses to give her you then must pay the virgin bride price. Historically this was 30 shekels I believe.
Thanks James, you are right, it was in the case of rape not seduction. Still, my question remains. Did the Law always require a specific amount for a bride price in general. I don't recall that being the case.

Thanks James, you are right, it was in the case of rape not seduction. Still, my question remains. Did the Law always require a specific amount for a bride price in general. I don't recall that being the case.
No requirement that I have found, or anything that happens often enough for us to develop a set price that I know about.

Going back to the discussion on being owned, I think the New Testament pattern is more of a Stewardship than Ownership relationship. Husbands have authority over their wives and are tasked with their care, but we answer to their true owner, God, when he comes to collect.

Going back to the discussion on being owned, I think the New Testament pattern is more of a Stewardship than Ownership relationship. Husbands have authority over their wives and are tasked with their care, but we answer to their true owner, God, when he comes to collect.
Nothing changed between old and new in regards to ownership. Our marriage mirrors Christ and the chruch. He owns us, Paul, Peter, and James all echo that they are bondslaves.

You take my joking quest for a young virgin Jennifer Aniston a bit too seriously. We all know full well that isn't even.close our expectation. You are the one who brought up Jennifer Aniston, so I thought let's shoot for the stars while we are at it. ☺️

Maybe I could hope for a God fearing widow in her early thirties? Even that would would be a miracle.
You perhaps take my seriousness a bit insufficiently jokingly, but I will simultaneous assert with no hesitation that there could probably be no end to my fantasies about Jennifer Anniston; they occur just because the wind blows, but I'm just as serious about Camille Paglia . . .

We are made in His Image, and thus we have been granted license to use our Image-ination.

May Yah be blessed in every related regard.

So how many 18 year old orphan virgins are on order...?:cool:
I've removed so many from my Cart, and it's still clogged up with them.

No price would justify the price.

God definitely owns everything. As believers we are owned by Christ in a particular way. Since He owns us, He also ultimately owns everything we posess. Yes, we are His stewards.

Still, speaking from a human/earthly perspective we do have very real ownership, and Scripture affirms this. I own my house, land, car, etc. Likewise, one's wife and children really do belong to the husband/father, and yet they are also a stewardship from God.

It's both

That was in the case of rape it was 50 shekels. For seducing, you must endow her, if he refuses to give her you then must pay the virgin bride price. Historically this was 30 shekels I believe.
Good luck finding a vending machine for that.

Nothing changed between old and new in regards to ownership. Our marriage mirrors Christ and the chruch. He owns us, Paul, Peter, and James all echo that they are bondslaves.
Yeah . . . but it's a damn faint echo that survives in the midst of Modern Womanism.

Our task far beyond multiplying wives to ourselves is to change the hearts and minds and souls of our generations.

That requires undaunting commitment to telling everyone else to just shut the f*** up when we're speaking.

That is the task, and it is beyond our ability. In many ways, it is the work of God. Just speaking the truth is profoundly powerful, and the Lord works through it.
Yeah; it's not about our ability, though; it's just a matter of witnessing in a way that spreads the good news in a way that makes it easier to swallow.

Yeah; it's not about our ability, though;
I beg to differ, I have the ability because I work directly with He who increases my ability.
It’s synergistic, He cannot do it without me applying every bit of my being to the cause, and I cannot do it without His assistance.

I beg to differ, I have the ability because I work directly with He who increases my ability.
It’s synergistic, He cannot do it without me applying every bit of my being to the cause, and I cannot do it without His assistance.
I guess what I'm pointing to is that waiting until one considers oneself competent is foolish; the quality far more in play is willingness -- as, in response to . . .
it is beyond our ability
no matter whether or not it is beyond our ability, it is not beyond whether or not we are willing to work directly with He who increases our ability, right, Zen Trucker?

He cannot do it without me applying every bit of my being to the cause
He did it without anyone else applying anything when He knocked Saul of Tarsus to the ground and revealed Himself to him. He certainly can accomplish His will without me but I can't accomplish anything for eternity without Him. Just say'n.

Everyone assumes that their own level of willingness is adequate. It seldom is.
The failure is sadly quite high.

He did it without anyone else applying anything when He knocked Saul of Tarsus to the ground and revealed Himself to him. He certainly can accomplish His will without me but I can't accomplish anything for eternity without Him. Just say'n.
He only did it once.
You might want to contemplate that.

Yes @steve , but He did it so it proves He doesn't need anyone's help to accomplish His will. He is omniscient and omnipotent; we are not.
Evidently He wants us to live in a very screwed up world.

I’m just going to shut up now.

Evidently He wants us to live in a very screwed up world.

I’m just going to shut up now.
Some of us just see the perfection in even what some might call the screwed upness of the world.
Everything goes wrong....just right!

;)

(Cue the music to Something Beautiful.)

Actually, Saul of Tarsus had dedicated his life to being obedient to God. He had almost achieved it even. God didn’t choose Saul randomly. He was consumed with zeal for his religion and would do anything to live up to it. God could fix Saul’s theological mistakes, but He wanted that obedience and dedication.

Back