• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Marriage Is Serious Business

Doc

Real Person
Marriage, a concept so universal that any child, teen or adult is exceedingly familiar with it…but, until you have experienced marriage, it may be hard for you to grasp what I’m about to say.

To most people marriage is considered something that you have, but in reality, marriage is something that you do, marriage is business, …it’s a “business arrangement,” and the quicker you arrive to this conclusion, the happier your marriage will be.

When you first get married, you may think it’s about “being in love,” but this is far from the truth, marriage is about running a business.

All successful marriages are about business first!

That’s not to say that you shouldn’t marry someone that you love, because you should. However, if you don’t understand that marriage is a business arrangement first, the love that you have won’t last.

Marriage is a business in which your spouse is your customer, and your marriage will fall apart if you don’t treat the marriage like the business that it is.

You see, there are several things that you need to do if you want to run a successful marriage or business

9 Keys to Running a Successful Marriage, or Business:

1. Know Your Customer’s Expectations

The number one reason marriages fail is because of a failure to meet expectations. Every customer has expectations! Your chief concern is to discover those expectations, and to meet them.

Don’t wait for your spouse to tell you what their expectations are. Ask them because they have them. Then work to meet those expectations. Everyone’s expectations are different, one person may expect you to work, one person may expect you to split the household chores, one person may expect you to wax your eyebrows.

The point is that your customer has expectations, and in order to succeed in marriage, you must discover those expectations and you must meet them.

2. Exceed Your Customer’s Expectations

Although it’s critical that you meet your partner’s expectations, that only gets you in the game. To succeed you must exceed your partner’s expectations. This is where you begin to make progress. They may expect you to make $50,000, but you bring home $75,000. They may expect to go on a date once a week, but you take them out twice a week. They may expect you to get yourself ready for the next day, but you get yourself and them ready for the next day. They may expect sex twice a week, but you give it to them five times a week (that’s what I call good customer service). Anybody can meet their partner’s expectations; it takes a special person to exceed their partner’s expectation.

3. Know That Your Customer is Always Right

They say, “The Customer is Always Right,” this is as true in marriage as it is in business. What does this mean? It means the customer always has a voice, it means the customer will always be heard out; it means the customer’s needs are the priority and they are to well-considered. An example:

Let’s say your spouse is upset or frustrated. Who’s right in this situation? Is it you, because you’re not frustrated. No, it’s the customer – the customer is always right. And if you don’t know why the customer is right, you can just ask them. They’re usually happy to tell you why they’re right. Always remember that the customer comes first, take care of the customer, and the customer will take of you.

4. Take Care of Your Responsibilities Regarding Your Customer

Just as in business, marriage comes with responsibilities. There are clothes to be washed, dishes to be cleaned, garbage that needs to be put out, grass that needs to be cut, repairs to be handled, money to be made, and bills to be paid.

These are some very basic responsibilities within most marriages, and if these responsibilities aren’t met, there’s bound to be big trouble in paradise. I love the quote that says, “A marriage may be made in heaven, but the maintenance has to be done here on Earth.” There are responsibilities that must be handled; love won’t handle those responsibilities, you have to.

And you have to handle your responsibilities with a good attitude! Every customer interaction must be handled with care; I’m talking about service, with a smile! … :D :D

5. Be Aware of Changing Markets

In business you must be aware of changing markets. Your spouse is your target market in marriage, and their needs will most likely change over the course of your marriage. What they liked in the 70’s, may not be what they like in the 80’s, or the 90’s, or today. You need to stay abreast of the market as it changes, you need to hand out surveys and find out the heartbeat of the customer. Never let changing-times make your product obsolete. Be aware that the market will change, anticipate the change, and meet the new need. If you do, you will always remain current to your customer.

6. Make Trade-offs with Your Customer

If I go to the grocery story, they have bread, I have $2, and we make an exchange and everybody’s happy. Marriage is about trade-offs, you give me what I want, I give you what you want, and round and round we go. It’s okay to consciously plan trade-offs. That’s how it works in business. Maybe the trade-off is for your spouse to cook, while you clean, or maybe you work, while they take care of the house. In business as in marriage, there are “win-win” trade-offs where both parties are happy. You can’t be successful in the long-term if both parties don’t feel like they’re getting a good deal.

7. Be Aware of the Competition

In business, as in marriage, there’s going to be competition. If it’s a good business, there’s competition. The key to success isn’t to focus on the competition, but to focus on the customer.

No one should be able to treat your customer better than you can. No one knows them better. They’ve been with you longer, and you know more about what they want, or at least you should. No one should be able to pick your “one” customer out of your hand.

By the way, when I say competition, I don't just mean being distracted by another man or woman. The competition can be ANYTHING that causes you to ignore your primary market, your customer, your spouse. It might be sports, the reading club, hanging out with the guys, going shopping, ANYTHING that they would rather be doing or be with than with YOU.

Be aware of the competition, but work to know your customer.

8. Have an Irreplaceable Product

No business succeeds without a product or service that people feel is irreplaceable, and marriage is no different. In order to have success, you must offer your customer what they can’t get from anywhere else. Just by being with them, you have an amazing advantage in this area. By being with them, you know exactly what their needs are, and you can offer them the products to meet those needs.

You have the products they need, you have them under contract, this gives you a large advantage towards keeping them as a customer. LOL!

9. Be Wanted

It’s one thing to be needed; it’s something else entirely to be wanted. The best products appeal to a customer’s emotions. They may not need the product at all, but they want the product because of the way it makes them feel.

The key to being wanted is to know your customer’s expectations, and to exceed those expectations consistently. If you exceed your customer’s expectations on a daily basis, the customer will happily return everyday.

In Closing

If you have all parties working on these task together as a team, there’s no limit to the great things that you can accomplish or the joy they can experience in marriage!

Blessings

Doc

YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone needs to read this and "make it so" in their lives.

Thank you Doc.... great post :D

Doc, I think this is one of the best posts you have ever posted, a particularly pertinent and patently non-pontifical post, perhaps, I should say.... :cool:

I had to read this post twice, Doc, to make sure I read it correctly. I'm very disappointed, Doc. Your business model marriage will definitely appeal to feminists but It doesn't represent the Biblical concept of marriage.

Disappointed... as I expect Biblical Truth from you. :(

You know, the late actor Paul Newman once was quoted as saying regarding his successful, long (and rare in Hollywood) happy marriage 'Why eat hamburger when you have steak at home'. If you ask me, that is a man who exemplifies this model, happy marriages are not just wished up, they are worked on every day, you get out what you put in.

B

Being in business, I like the analogies here between business and marriage. I often use business comparisons myself. So I appreciate the post.

However there is another side to the marriage relationship.

I like to think that my marriage is a safe harbour from market forces. That no matter what happens in the world, that if I fail to meet kpi's, my wife will still accept me. My marriage relationship is the one area where I am safe, where I am accepted no matter what, where I will not have my contract terminated. I say that not to provide an excuse for poor performance in my relationships; but to say that the unconditional love of my spouse is a great comfort and refuge, especially on bad days.

ylop

This post has an interesting take on marriage. Being a small business owner myself, it did give me something to think about.... My husband and I have always worked as a partnership. Genesis 2:18 - Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

The word "Fit for him" , as in equal in abilities with different sets of task to complete that fit in a perfect union. What the man is not equipped with a woman is and vice versa. I guess a partnership is almost like calling it a business relationship if you put that type of spin on it. The business is Marriage. It can make sense if not taken literally like a business and just seeing it in the same sense....

Jesus used lots of parables drawn from the economic model of his day, using them to explain the kingdom of God. Then He had the audacity to say that we would do even greater works than he had -- in other words, the students would surpass the Teacher. How? Lifelong indwelling Holy Spirit, I presume. Anyway, ...

I've used modern business models to make sense of stuff God said for years, and got in trouble in college in '99 writing papers on how the business management classes I was studying could be profitably applied to management of larger families involving PM. Quaker college. (George Fox U, Portland Or). They weren't happy! :lol:

So I particularly appreciate this post, Doc.

Fairlight said:
I had to read this post twice, Doc, to make sure I read it correctly. I'm very disappointed, Doc. Your business model marriage will definitely appeal to feminists but It doesn't represent the Biblical concept of marriage.

I think Doc did a good one on this. I do not consider myself a feminists but it sure does appeal to me....
Thanks doc..

CindyW said:
Fairlight wrote:I had to read this post twice, Doc, to make sure I read it correctly. I'm very disappointed, Doc. Your business model marriage will definitely appeal to feminists but It doesn't represent the Biblical concept of marriage.

I think Doc did a good one on this. I do not consider myself a feminists but it sure does appeal to me....
Thanks doc..

Biblical marriage is based on Patriarchy.

Doc,I think I have to side with Fairlight on this (surprise, surprise). While this concept seems to make sense on the surface, if you push it even just a little ,it falls apart. So, the "customer" is always right? What if the "customer"(wife) wants something contrary to what the husband thinks is best?

In order to please her, he has to give in to her wants. I know that you don't believe that to be honorable, yet if your analogy is pushed, that's exactly where it leads to. The faulty premise of the analogy is that of equality in position...both husband and wife should treat each other like their best customer, and all will be happy.

Unfortunately, that's not going to work in a godly marriage, because it doesn't follow the rules of engagement that God's Word gives for husbands and wives.

Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it. He gave up His life, not his desires or His will.

Wives reverence your husbands. This doesn't work very well if the wife is expecting to be treated like a valued customer who is always right.

Katie

Very good points katie..... by your arguments I'm rethinking my take on this post....

If I may ...

If I am the owner of a company, I have TWO sets of customers, BOTH of whom I must serve.

One is the outside customer who buys my company's good and services. The other is my staff, my employees. If they are not treated well, they DO have the option to jump ship and seek employment elsewhere. And Ex. 21:10,11 can be interpreted with that paradigm in mind.

I suggest that Doc's piece could be IMPROVED by describing wives as the staff type of customer. It actually offers further possibilities. But the job of parables is not to be unbreakable, but to present a concept. And this one does.

Even in business, "The customer is always right" is understood as having limits. Otherwise, I'd walk into every store, and announce that today was Free day, and help myself. :lol:

i do not have a problem with the idea of treating my wife like the customer.

but it would be a huge problem if she started acting like the customer and expected to be catered to.

similarly, i like it when my wife treats my like a king, but it is not good when i act like the king and ignore the idea that she is the queen.
no analogy works perfectly when we carry it out to the nth degree, but i do agree with the basic idea.

thinking on this a little further;

no business truely follows the rule that the customer is always right. try walking into nordstroms (one of the best of the put-the-customer-first stores) and tell them that you want to pay $20 for a $400 pair of shoes. they will politely tell you that that is not possible. they will not call you a flipping-blinkity-blank-idiot (even though you are).

they will let you buy a pair of shoes on thursday and let you return them on monday after having worn them to the wedding on saturday night, but they do have limits to the unreasonable behavior that they will tolerate. and even then they will treat you with respect.

of course, if you firebomb their store they may beat you senseless with their umbrellas and stomp the stuffing out of you! :D

A couple of thoughts re: the perceived potential feminist premise of this model.

As a former feminist who ate feminism for breakfast, lunch and dinner prior to giving my life to Jesus in Dec 1970, (yikes, I guess I am only 41 as opposed to 58,) :D I would have to say that the walk out of Doc's model depends on the people involved.

The-marriage-as-business model could be either uber-patriarchal or wimpy "yes, dear," or something in the middle. Maybe something even balanced!! ;)

Living in the blessed and imperfect state of having a man who is a man's man as well as being wonderfully empowering, I think it has to do with having an understanding of limits as well as responsibilities. My limitation is to keep my "customer-ness" in check, both from his perspective as well as the King's. My responsibility is to serve in the manner of Yeshua" and trust Him for the unmucked stuff in the stall that is not my own.

My husband's limitation is to keep his "customer-ness" in check in a masculine way, and his responsibility is to be Harry Truman, i.e., when He looks at God he says, "the buck stops here." IOW, what goes down in our tent and in our tribe is ultimately my man's responsibility. If he doesn't challenge my yucky stuff, God has ways of saying, "Ahem." Finding the balance in all of it will drive all concerned to their knees, and as I heard Bruce Nordstrom say once years ago, "When you are on your knees and helping people choose their shoes, the rest is history. The day you get off your knees, you lose the store." Truly, there is no place on the planet where I would rather shop for shoes than Nordstrom, and no, they have never had to use their umbrellas to thrash me!! ;)

alit53 said:
The-marriage-as-business model could be either uber-patriarchal or wimpy "yes, dear," or something in the middle. Maybe something even balanced!! ;)

Finding the balance in all of it will drive all concerned to their knees, and as I heard Bruce Nordstrom say once years ago, "When you are on your knees and helping people choose their shoes, the rest is history. The day you get off your knees, you lose the store."

Truly, there is no place on the planet where I would rather shop for shoes than Nordstrom, and no, they have never had to use their umbrellas to thrash me!! ;)

Spot on !!!

Back