• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Matt Walsh on divorce

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male

In case you missed it, Gisele Bundchen “broke her silence” about her divorce to Tom Brady last week. Her entire interview was filled with fluffy, New Age inanities about modern love and being true to your authentic self, etc. Why am I even bothering to talk about this? Because the way that Gisele defines love, and the way that our culture defines it, is this: To love someone is to do whatever I want to do.

It's quite a convenient definition, but it's also meaningless. Love is not merely a feeling; even if it was merely a feeling, you clearly don't feel too great about somebody if you want to divorce them. But it's more than that. Love is a choice. It's an act. It's a sacrifice. To love your spouse is to be faithful and loyal. It is to be reliable. It is to look out for their physical and spiritual well-being. Divorce is the severing of all of that, which is to say that it is the death of marital love. That's the whole point of getting divorced.

Gisele talks about their marriage using language like, “We grew apart,” and, “Time goes by. Sometimes you end up going in different directions.” She talks about it like she has no control over anything. In any other situation, she is certain to speak highly and confidently of her own agency, and her strength as a fierce and independent woman. But when it comes to making excuses for a failed marriage, it’s as if she’s a helpless flower being swept along by the forces of fate.

The most important point is that a faithful marriage and a divorce are both choices. Neither just happen to you at random. Marriage is a choice. Divorce is a choice. Love is a choice.”

The most important point is that a faithful marriage and a divorce are both choices. Neither just happen to you at random. Marriage is a choice. Divorce is a choice. Love is a choice.”
And love is commanded, even if you think he or she has become your enemy. Luke 6:27 “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you."

In case you missed it, Gisele Bundchen “broke her silence” about her divorce to Tom Brady last week. Her entire interview was filled with fluffy, New Age inanities about modern love and being true to your authentic self, etc. Why am I even bothering to talk about this? Because the way that Gisele defines love, and the way that our culture defines it, is this: To love someone is to do whatever I want to do.

It's quite a convenient definition, but it's also meaningless. Love is not merely a feeling; even if it was merely a feeling, you clearly don't feel too great about somebody if you want to divorce them. But it's more than that. Love is a choice. It's an act. It's a sacrifice. To love your spouse is to be faithful and loyal. It is to be reliable. It is to look out for their physical and spiritual well-being. Divorce is the severing of all of that, which is to say that it is the death of marital love. That's the whole point of getting divorced.

Gisele talks about their marriage using language like, “We grew apart,” and, “Time goes by. Sometimes you end up going in different directions.” She talks about it like she has no control over anything. In any other situation, she is certain to speak highly and confidently of her own agency, and her strength as a fierce and independent woman. But when it comes to making excuses for a failed marriage, it’s as if she’s a helpless flower being swept along by the forces of fate.

In the immortal words of DC Talk “love is a verb”

inanities about modern love and being true to your authentic self, etc. Why am I even bothering to talk about this? Because the way that Gisele defines love, and the way that our culture defines it, is this: To love someone is to do whatever I want to do.

Today love is an emotion and it has a name: lust, romance. It is deceptive, fleeting, and addicting. It is what modern marriage has it's foundation on and it is a sandy foundation if there ever was one.

Didn't think it would be worth another thread, but in this video Daily Wire's Michael Knowles and Matt Frad from Pints with Aquinas comment on Polygamy. They at least consider it a real (although inferior) form of marriage and would prefer its legalization over all the LGBT crap.

Granted, that's a low bar, but in Rev. Calvin Robinson's recent viral speech on the Church's stand against the LGBT movement he basically refers to polygamy as the next great evil they have to defend against.

Today love is an emotion and it has a name: lust, romance. It is deceptive, fleeting, and addicting. It is what modern marriage has it's foundation on and it is a sandy foundation if there ever was one.
Yes, the only thing that I would change about Matt’s statement is: “To love someone is to be happy. If it makes me happy, then it is love. And if leaving the relationship makes me happy, that is part of love also”.

Rev. Calvin Robinson's recent viral speech on the Church's stand against the LGBT movement he basically refers to polygamy as the next great evil they have to defend against.
Talk about missing the point. They've so taken on the perspective of the world they are fighting against Godly marriage on behalf of the devil's feminism.

Back