• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Matthew 19:9 Adultery in unjustified divorce and remarriage

Exactly, and it involves her allegiance being transferred, which is what makes it adultery.
Males have the ability to be allied with more than one woman at a time.
I tend to be more of a literalist when it comes to adultery. Either two people do the deed or they don't. I've heard women claim their husbands are committing adultery or idolatry by working too many hours away from home. Yes, work is the other woman. Holding hands and kissing aren't sex and talking to someone on the phone and revealing intimate details of your life isn't adultery. I know it's a fine line because we have Yeshua's words about adultery in our hearts, but I think 'emotional adultery' isn't really a thing we can point to biblically. As to 'spiritual adultery' there may be more biblical precedent there, but I'm still not convinced.

I tend to be more of a literalist when it comes to adultery. Either two people do the deed or they don't. I've heard women claim their husbands are committing adultery or idolatry by working too many hours away from home. Yes, work is the other woman. Holding hands and kissing aren't sex and talking to someone on the phone and revealing intimate details of your life isn't adultery. I know it's a fine line because we have Yeshua's words about adultery in our hearts, but I think 'emotional adultery' isn't really a thing we can point to biblically. As to 'spiritual adultery' there may be more biblical precedent there, but I'm still not convinced.

Theologically speaking I agree. But as a practical matter in protecting oneself from sin or marital betrayal, emotional adultery is a serious problem.

That and it is not an uncommon for a woman to have been claiming it was only an emotional affair, or 'just a kiss', and it later comes out they were actually having sex. Which brings to mind a relevant passage of scripture that could be read to relate to emotional adultery...Number 5:11-31. Not that it's talking about emotional adultery, but the evidence of that would lead to the suspicious jealously that passage speaks of.

May you never experience a wife that becomes emotionally attached to a”good friend”.

And Yah help you if you become “good friends” with another man’s wife, becoming her confidant, helping her because he just doesn’t understand her. Listening to her for hours while your own family goes begging.

May you never experience a wife that becomes emotionally attached to a”good friend”. And Yah help you if you become “good friends” with another man’s wife, becoming her confidant, helping her because he just doesn’t understand her. Listening to her for hours while your own family goes begging.

@steve, your post is evidence that learning is always lurking right around the corner. Thank you for injecting that perspective into this particular debate, because it reminded me of many things about which I need to be discerning.

In particular, it focuses me on something that may be considered a tangent to what you're pointing to, and I'm going to use a real-life personal situation to illustrate what I'm addressing. @rejoicinghandmaid, known here and far and wide as a proper woman of God, and I have developed a good friendship over the past year. We talk on the phone often, sometimes for hours during our night-owl overlap time (and please let me inject here, at @rejoicinghandmaid's encouragement, that @steve's point about one's own family going begging isn't lost on me; that's why we predominantly limit our discussions to hours when everyone in my family -- each member of which doesn't share my minimal need for sleep -- is fast asleep in bed). However, no matter how capable I am of burning the candle at both ends, and no matter how thoroughly I intend to maintain properly-drawn lines, it is inescapable that I am a man, a married man in fact, and @rejoicinghandmaid is an unmarried woman who desires to find a man who will be her covering. I have on more than one occasion asserted to her that, whether we like it or not, when she finds (or is found by) the man who will be her head, it will necessarily be the case that our friendship will have to be diminished. We can potentially remain good friends, but that will depend on a great many factors (e.g., whether her man, she, Kristin and I identify reasons for the four of us to socialize, fellowship, etc.), and it is just a given, if we're going to respect not only scriptural but common sense guidelines that our friendship will go through a transition that will result in our not being in anywhere near as much contact as we currently enjoy. You have pointed to the reason, @steve: because, once @rejoicinghandmaid has her covering, it could only be confusing in many ways if she and I were to continue engaging in as much interchange as we currently engage in. It's not a matter of being some kind of rigid prohibition that reflects an inability to trust one's spouse. Instead, it's a matter of enlisting every effort, structure and intention to ensure that the full one-flesh, unbreakable bonding be established and sustained between a woman and her husband.

The distinction between a man and a single woman engaging in intimate verbal communication and a man and a married woman doing so is that whatever fire one is playing with when it comes to a single woman only risks creating an intimacy that may inspire the two to decide to become one flesh themselves; playing with that kind of fire when the woman is married defies the aspects of human nature that naturally lead men and women to flirt with physically consummating such intimacy.

Over the years, I've observed many, many instances that fit the template @steve has so effectively and succinctly laid before us. I can't think of a one in which the outcome was edifying. If either partner in the marriage cavalierly accepts the woman having a "special friend" who "understands [her] better than [her] husband (or the man having a similar "special friend" who is a married woman), they may as well acknowledge that what they're doing is laying the foundation for heartbreak and divorce.

I don’t want to get to far from the main point, but there is no Biblical distinction between emotional, spiritual, and physical adultery that I can see.
Each one involves either giving what belongs to the husband to another person, or taking something that belongs to another man. Don’t bother trying to convince me that a woman cannot commit any form of adultery with another woman just because she lacks the equipment, btw.
Also, huge numbers of women are emotionally dependent upon their counselors and it is an estrangement from their husbands. A good counselor will help to reconnect them, rather than enable and encourage her dependence.

All of this goes back to directly reducing the husbands spiritual authority in his family. He may have it on paper, but the enemy will see him as nothing but a paper tiger.

Last edited:
In particular, it focuses me on something that may be considered a tangent to what you're pointing to, and I'm going to use a real-life personal situation to illustrate what I'm addressing.
While somewhat tangential, it is a perfect, real-life walk out of my point.
Thank you for that.

May you never experience a wife that becomes emotionally attached to a”good friend”.

And Yah help you if you become “good friends” with another man’s wife, becoming her confidant, helping her because he just doesn’t understand her. Listening to her for hours while your own family goes begging.
So, when friends and family accuse your plural marriage to be adultery, do you bother to make such distinctions, or do you point out the black and white of scripture?

What you describe seems to be extremely poor choices and walking a tightrope towards adultery, but if you divorced her over that and justified it to be because of adultery, I think it wouldn't meet Yeshua's benchmark for justified divorce.

huge numbers of women are emotionally dependent upon their counselors and it is an estrangement from their husbands.

Amen.

So, when friends and family accuse your plural marriage to be adultery, do you bother to make such distinctions, or do you point out the black and white of scripture?
I’m sorry, I don’t understand this question. I don’t take other men’s wives as mine.
What you describe seems to be extremely poor choices and walking a tightrope towards adultery, but if you divorced her over that and justified it to be because of adultery, I think it wouldn't meet Yeshua's benchmark for justified divorce.
I would never divorce over the issue, that’s not at all my point.
Although I may or may not have had the experience of a relationship that was horribly damaged by inappropriate bonding.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand this question. I don’t take other men’s wives as mine.

I would never divorce over the issue, that’s not at all my point.
Although I may or may not have had the experience of a relationship that was horribly damaged by inappropriate bonding.

I'm not saying you are an adulterer, but the average Churchian would call your situations as bring adulterous (not understanding the biblical definition of adultery). If that happened, would you not point them to scripture and ask for them to prove their accusations scripturally? Would you look for shades of interpretation and inferences?

I only brought up divorce because of the op. Most here would probably agree that adultery is a pretty safe ground for a scriptural divorce, but if you divorced your wife for conversations with another man, would that be seen as a scriptural basis? Would you do it and feel cleared?

but if you divorced your wife for conversations with another man, would that be seen as a scriptural basis?
Alienation of affection is a real thing, but I would never divorce over it. There are a lot of tools up to and including separating that a man can use, but divorce in that situation is a lot like shooting flys on the ceiling with a 12 gauge.

Yah hates divorce, it should not be the go-to answer for even adultery, in my opinion.
The interesting thing is that men can deal with problems and attitudes while still moving forward with relationships that include other women. Something that is absolutely not allowed in monogamy-only relationships.

I don't see how anyone can correctly understand Biblical marriage without taking polygamy into consideration.
The cultural harm done by ungodly polygamy to the G-D fearing polygamous community is something to be overcome, I believe in order that the whole truth of scripture be manifest and revealed.
Hold fast to the blessed Hope in Yahshua Hamashiach (Jesus Christ)

I don't see how anyone can correctly understand Biblical marriage without taking polygamy into consideration.

You can't. It's impossible. But that doesn't stop most Christians because they're not looking to scripture for what to believe about marriage. To the extent they even look, they're only looking for arguments for justifying their existing cultural practice.

Back