• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Messianic Jewish greetings

MessianicJewish

Hello to all,

I am brand new to this site. I found this site as part of scholarly research on Biblical marriage, chiefly concerning Biblical polygyny. I am a Messianic Jewish rabbi. Since 2000 the LORD has been teaching me and enlightening me in my personal study of this subject and the validity and applicability of Biblical marriage frameworks for our present society. I came to the sincere conclusion by 2004 with the LORD that Biblical marriage, focusing on polygyny, was a valid, legal, ethical, moral, and loving construct. So since then I've been refining my understanding and theology of Biblical polygyny in a fashion in which I think it is defensible hermeneutically, legally, and morally; although polygyny is not God's only good system. I never knew a site of folks in essential agreement with me existed until a couple weeks ago. So I decided to join now.
I say all the above not to impress anyone concerning me, but to simply clarify how I come to be a member of this site. In my personal life, since 2004 I have been attempting to establish a polygynous marriage relationship with certain beloveds of mine I have known since that time. it will be successful and come about soon if our precious LORD is willing and gracious and blesses and helps me do well in it and to His glory.
I am not here in forum often, I expect, but specific conversation or questions to me are welcome and will be answered upon my return. Blessings & shalom & yom tov in Yeshua!

Welcome, MJ.

There are quite a few of us here (and elsewhere) who came to faith from both a Messianic and (very much related, I contend) patriarchal perspective. I often use the term "patriarchal" myself in discussions with others outside of fora such as this one in order to indicate that "I change not" applies to marriage as well as the rest of His "teaching and instruction."

Blessings in Him,
Mark

Very pleased to meet you MJ, I hope you come and contribute to some of our many theological conversations. I think you've summed up what we believe pretty well saying how polygyny is defensible and loving but not God's only good system.

I hope you get encouragement and some friends here, good like starting you're own poly family.

Welcome! May your days be filled with many blessings.

As soon as I saw your user name I was instantly curious. My wife and I have attended a Messianic Jewish synagogue for over three years. We really love the Sabbath worship. I have been studying the Jewish foundation and character of the New Covenant Writings (New Testament) for over 15 years.

I'm also curious as to whether other Messianic Jews in your acquaintance have considered polygamy. I would think that most Messianic Jews would agree with Gershom's ban, even though polygamy does occur among Jews in general, both in the U.S. and in Israel. I wish you success in your seeking a plural marriage.

I'm also curious as to whether other Messianic Jews in your acquaintance have considered polygamy. I would think that most Messianic Jews would agree with Gershom's ban...

I have found sometimes (such as in this context ;) ) that the term "Messianic Jew" can be a bit ambiguous, although I frequently use it myself as well, QMC05. I know large numbers of folks who so characterize themselves, probably less than half of whom are actually Jewish by heritage (at least so far as they know).

So, regardless -- I find that BOTH self-professed Messianics and many Torah-believing Jews are VERY open to recognizing that polygyny is Biblical. (Most rabbis, in particular, seem to know the history and acknowledge Gershom as the practical, and perhaps ONLY, reason, for the ban. "When Jews and Christians disagree, Jews die"...some ruefully recall.)

Of course, Rabbi Gershom's 500-year (or 1000, depending on which story you read) t'kanah has EXPIRED either way!

Blessings in Yeshua HaMashiach,

Mark

Thanks for joining. Please feel free to participate in the discussions! Also, we have groups on Facebook (Biblical Families) and Twitter (Biblical Family), so join us there as well.

Blessings

MJ,
On behalf of Chaplains Rose and myself, I would like to welcome you to the board. May it be a blessing to you.

Re: Shalom aleichem on Wed.

Yom tov to all,

Thanks for your replies and welcome and discussion. In some reply to all, I will say, first, Iam not Jewish by physical birth. I am a Gentile, professional ordained non-denominational minister. I've been in Yeshua-Jesus by vital faith since 1966. I embraced Messianic Judaism, as introductory to it, in 1999. ADONAI blessed me to be Christian ordained in 2002, and Messianic ordained in 2008. I have my wisdom and skills naturally, but due to the route by which our ADONAI has brought me to this point now, I am not an expert in rabbinical traditions and literature such asTalmud. Due to my present personal life circumstances and present activities, I am a rabbi without any Messianic synagogue congregation. However, I am connected to Beth Messiah in Norfolk, VA, near where I live. You can feel free to look up Beth Messiah Synagogue, in Norfolk, VA in its website by the same name if you are interested to see example of my affiliation.

ADONAI began teaching me about Biblical plural marriage, and drawing me to it, originally in 1993, but much more clearly since 2002. Personally, I reject the term "polygamy" because it is in our culture "polygamy" commuicates something illegal. At the same time, I feel "plural marriage" is fine for us, but it is too vague to those aware of our Biblical position. I prefer the term "Biblical polygyny." While a person may not know the term, the term itself is specific and clear and contextualized in meaning and origin. Granted, Biblical polygamy existed too, but it is not valid in US legal culture, so it is self-defeating and foolish. However, part of the beauty of ADONAI's ways abiding nonetheless is that Biblical polygyny is legal in the US and elsewhere, though I think not by intentional statute or ordinance in mainstream non-Mormon society. In summary, My view is that if Biblical plural marriage is one of ELOHIM (God)'s valid aproved forms of marriage, then we should expect it to be feasible, legal, moral, ethical, and loving, and not inherently contradictory to Ephesians 5's explanation of the ultimate meaning of marriage. Being legal in the US does not assure that Biblical polygyny is ELOHIM-approved, but Romans 13 calls us to legality; thus my moderate stance. Biblical polygamy is illegal; thus self-defeating and jeopardizing. Biblical polygyny is legal; thus acceptable to those who desire it, and to whom ADONAI enables it, which is not everyone.

I am no authority on the Gershom ban, but it would be irrelevant unless you were in the sect of Judaism that validates it. Jewish sects do not agree on traditional authorities; nor do Messianics all agree.

Due now to the content of this post, I think I should duplicate it in thegeneral discussion forum. Blessings & shalom!

BARUCH HABAH B'SHEM ADONAI!

Blessings from Toronto

david :p

Shalom all!

I too am a Messianic Jew who is very interested in the subject of "Plural Marriage". The last post indicated a perceived legal difference between "Biblical Polygamy" and "Biblical Polygyny". Is there really? I thought it was all against the law of the USA. More information would be great on that, thanks.
Further: Any advice on how I should approach this topic with my wife?
Thank you very much!

Carefully! Very carefully! Oy!

MessianicJewish said:
Hello to all,

I am brand new to this site. I found this site as part of scholarly research on Biblical marriage, chiefly concerning Biblical polygyny. I am a Messianic Jewish rabbi. Since 2000 the LORD has been teaching me and enlightening me in my personal study of this subject and the validity and applicability of Biblical marriage frameworks for our present society. I came to the sincere conclusion by 2004 with the LORD that Biblical marriage, focusing on polygyny, was a valid, legal, ethical, moral, and loving construct. So since then I've been refining my understanding and theology of Biblical polygyny in a fashion in which I think it is defensible hermeneutically, legally, and morally; although polygyny is not God's only good system. I never knew a site of folks in essential agreement with me existed until a couple weeks ago. So I decided to join now.
I say all the above not to impress anyone concerning me, but to simply clarify how I come to be a member of this site. In my personal life, since 2004 I have been attempting to establish a polygynous marriage relationship with certain beloveds of mine I have known since that time. it will be successful and come about soon if our precious LORD is willing and gracious and blesses and helps me do well in it and to His glory.
I am not here in forum often, I expect, but specific conversation or questions to me are welcome and will be answered upon my return. Blessings & shalom & yom tov in Yeshua!

God bless you. I have heard of another messianic movement that also agree's with your PM beliefs, and I any Jewish person who studies PM will clearly see that God never forbid PM..

Back