• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Messianic Judaism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugh McBryde begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting said:
The simplest reply remains: If the LORD had meant for us to have Hebrew Gospels to work with, we would have them. Basing names for our belief and doctrines on facts not in evidence is in the best case, proof our own arrogance. You DO NOT KNOW, what they would have said.

Hugh,
You know that I can turn that same argument right around on you. How do you know that Matthew wrote his gospel in Greek? Can you, based solely on Scripture, without having in direct evidence, say that he did? Of course, the answer is no, because we do not have the original copy, and so if there are any alterations, you would not know about it. So basing our beliefs and doctrines on the Greek mindset is basing them on facts not in evidence, and as you put that, proof of our own arrogance.

The problem that we have here is of the different mindsets. "It is finished" in the Greek mindset says something totally different than in the Hebrew mindset. The Gentiles love Paul because as they see it, he freed them from the Law and said that the Law was done away with. The, as you call them, Messianic believer, many of them do not even believe that Paul was an apostle, let a lone inspired, because of the way that the Gentiles teach what Paul says. Now either Paul is a true apostle and his writings are inspired, or he is a fraud, and an apostate or totally a fictitious person. How can this be? Simple - by totally misunderstanding based upon mindset, and being beat over the head with Paul's writings.

Why do Jews hate the Cross? To them, it is a symbol of persecution, because in the sign of the cross, they have been driven from one place to another and have even been killed. Why do some of the Messianic Jews hate Paul? Because his words are used to put them down and to belittle them, even if that is not how it is meant.

Let me ask you a question? Can Scripture contradict itself? When Jesus/Yahushua said that He came not to destroy to the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill, then how can one say that He destroyed them by nailing them to His cross? Now back to the Hebrew mindset verses the Greek mindset. The Greek mindset says that the Law was no longer needed because now we have Grace. But to the Hebrew mind, they have always had grace. There is nothing new under the sun, including grace. So then what? To the Hebrew mindset, YaHuWaH never changes - period. Even when He repented of something, such as the destruction of Ninevah during Jonah's time or the death of all those that came out of Egypt in Moses' time, He only delayed what would happen instead of changing His mind altogether. To the Greek mindset, He changed the covenant, His people, and the way He was to be worshiped. Two different mindsets which bring about two different ways of thinking. So then what? To the Greek mindset, Colossians chapter 2 is the ultimate in proving that the Law was done away with. But when you look at verses 8, 14, and 20 with a Hebrew mindset, it was not the Law of YaHuWaH that was done away with, but the Oral Torah or the teachings, and doctrines of the Rabbi's, and then when you throw in philosophies, that goes to what the Hellenistic (i.e. Greek) Jews added further to the Oral Torah, because that all came from Aristotle and Plato. Again, two different ways of looking at the same words. So then what?

Just because theologians and scholars have said things are a certain way for thousands of years does not make them right. When Yahushua (Jesus) spoke to the ignorant unschooled Jewish disciples, He spoke in the way their minds understood. When He spoke to the Rabbi's He spoke in the way that their minds would understand. He did not speak in the way that Aristotle or Plato would have understood, for they considered His conversation and death as foolishness. We are not to look to the wisdom that comes from this world for our answers, but to the wisdom that comes from above, that reveals the Truth to us, step by step, as we grow and are able to understand and comprehend. I do not know everything, for I know in part, but when that which is perfect is come, then I shall know even as I am known. Every member of the body is given the knowledge they need to accomplish the tasks they are assigned, whether they are Gentile or Jewish. For, as Paul said, there is no difference between the two, so they are expected to be one, not two different groups.

Scott

Fairlight said:
The fact that there have been grave injustices done by Christians, or people claiming to be Christians will not change simply with a change of title. Whatever we call ourselves, we are human and we will err, some egregiously. This is unfortunate but unavoidable. I have never met a perfect Christian yet.

But this does not answer the question. The question was how do we know for sure that Christian was originally in there, or was it added to later copies per the Bishop of Antioch, where Luke says that the believers were first called Christians? We do not, of course, for we do not have the originals. So why is it so wrong to be called a Disciple of Jesus, or a Disciple of Yahushua, or a Disciple of the Word. A disciple is one who devotes their life to the discipline given by their teacher or master, and in living that discipline. Living a life like He taught, is that not being like Him? So by your own definition, are those that are being Disciples of the Word being like Him, thus making them Christians? You say you do not like people to "bash" Christians, but yet those who do not take the name Christian as a mantle are worthy of your anger? For what? Saying what the world calls Christian is wrong?

For example, there is a difference between a German and a Nazi. So there is a difference between being like Yahushua and being a Christian. Just because someone was a German living during the time of the Nazi's did not mean they were cold blooded killers and haters, and just because someone is a living a life trying their best to be like Yahushua does not mean they are Christians. When the world hears Christian, all sorts of things pop up. The molesting of children, the murders, the forced conversions, the oppression and many more come up when they hear Christian, and when you say, "I don't care what you think, I am a Christian!" you have defeated your entire purpose. Are you not suppose to meet people where they are at? Paul said he became all things to all people, so as not to offend and to win. There are witches that call themselves Christian. There are homosexuals that call themselves Christian. The people that sat in judgment of Hugh call themselves Christian. Most people you come in contact with will call themselves Christian. But Christ was not His name, but rather it is the Greek word for Messiah, which is title. To wear His name is what you are called to be, not to wear a title.

Scott

mrscottyl said:
So why is it so wrong to be called a Disciple of Jesus, or a Disciple of Yahushua, or a Disciple of the Word.

When did I ever say it was wrong ? I don't have a problem with you or anyone calling themselves something different. If those titles / names are meaningful to you then call yourself whatever you like.
My point was...there's NOTHING wrong with calling yourself a Christian, either. I'm not ashamed of the title at all. I am a Christian. And for the record, I don't view the term "Christian" as a title, as much as I see it as a way of life. It's a description of what I believe. Hopefully, the way I live my life will be the ultimate testimony to my deeply held Faith.
Blessings,
Fairlight

Fairlight said:
And for the record, I don't view the term "Christian" as a title, as much as I see it as a way of life. It's a description of what I believe.

I was not meaning the term Christian, but rather the word Christ is a title, not a name. At His name every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess. At His name do all the devils/demons tremble. Jesus/Yahushua is His name, and Christ/Messiah is His title. Are we not to do things in the name of Jesus/Yahushua and not in the name of Christ? Bar Kochba claimed to be the Messiah, which in Greek is Christ, so all of His followers would be called Christians too.

But this too opens up a whole can of worms because now you have both Peter and Paul quoted the Prophet Joel in saying that all who call upon the name of, and in English it is translated the LORD, but in Hebrew it is YaHuWaH. So when Peter was speaking, did everyone hear Kurios or did they hear YaHuWaH? Shema Yisrael, YaHuWaH Eloheinu, YaHuWaH echad.

Scott

Really? What is His name? Written on His thigh that no man can know. Or what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. My apologies to Will S.

John Whitten said:
Really? What is His name? Written on His thigh that no man can know. Or what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. My apologies to Will S.

Pastor John,
I would have thought better. One should never be sarcastic about how one gains salvation.

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" Acts 4:12

"Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:9-11 KJV

"Wherefore יהוה also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Yahushua every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Yahushua the Messiah is Master, to the glory of יהוה the Father." Philippians 2:9-11 RNKJV

And the fact that YaHuWaH says that we are not to speak the name of any other gods/elohim, not even in passing. "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other elohim, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth." Exodus 23:13 So a name is a name even when you are calling the Creator of everything by the name Ba'al? So calling Jesus Ba'al is just as sweet?

Scott

mrscottyl said:
But this too opens up a whole can of worms because now you have both Peter and Paul quoted the Prophet Joel in saying that all who call upon the name of, and in English it is translated the LORD, but in Hebrew it is YaHuWaH. So when Peter was speaking, did everyone hear Kurios or did they hear YaHuWaH? Shema Yisrael, YaHuWaH Eloheinu, YaHuWaH echad.

No it doesn't.
I refer to the Son Of God as Jesus; although, I have no issue with those who use Yeshua. The God I worship is God Almighty and He knows who is calling to Him, regardless of what language His name has been translated into.
Blessings,
Fairlight

mrscottyl said:
Pastor John,
I would have thought better. One should never be sarcastic about how one gains salvation.

Scott
NO ONE who truly knows Pastor John Whitten would ever accuse him of being sarcastic regarding salvation ! He takes it very personally. As a Pastor, it is the foundation of his calling and Life's work.
He and I don't feel that one "MUST" refer to the Lord as "Yeshua" in order to be saved or heard by God. God knows who loves Him and He knows who is calling out to Him, whether they use Jesus or Yeshua.
Blessings,
Fairlight

Fairlight said:
mrscottyl said:

No it doesn't.
I refer to the Son Of God as Jesus; although, I have no issue with those who use Yeshua. The God I worship is God Almighty and He knows who is calling to Him, regardless of what language His name has been translated into.
Blessings,
Fairlight

"And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other elohim, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth. " Exodus 23:13. So if a person calls YaHuWaH by Buddah because that is the name of the Almighty in their language, is that approved by YaHuWaH? Or can a Satanist call Him by the name Lucifer and that be alright? How about calling Him Allah? Is that alright? What does Scripture say? "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other elohim, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth." Calling Him God is calling Him Buddah, for that is where we get the English/German word for God. It is the same name you call Odin, for he was called a god by the Scandinavians. How about Cerrunos, for he was/is a god to the Celts as well as to Neo-Pagans. God is god right? There shall be no other before Him right? But god is Odin, and Cerrunos, and Allah, and Buddah too. Names mean something, and that is why you are told to use only two names - YaHuWaH and Yahushua. All I can keep saying is what does Scripture say. Anything done that is not found in Scripture is by definition unScriptural. Just look at the comment he made. Any name for Him is as sweet, so one can call on the name of Allah and be saved according to what he said, unless he was being sarcastic.

Scott

I am not saying that you can not call Him any name that you would like. And I am not saying that if someone who does not know any better calls Him by the only name they know to call Him that He will not answer. But, when we know to do right and do not do it, then that is a sin. Show me in Scripture where it says that you can call Him any name you want to and it is perfectly alright. I have already shown a Scripture where it says it is not alright. What book chapter and verse do you get that any name for YaHuWaH is just as sweet? "And the times of this ignorance יהוה winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31

Scott

mrscottyl said:
So if a person calls YaHuWaH by Buddah because that is the name of the Almighty in their language, is that approved by YaHuWaH? Or can a Satanist call Him by the name Lucifer and that be alright? How about calling Him Allah?

Of course not ! Buddah is not the ONE TRUE GOD of the Old and New Testaments....neither is Satan.
You're talking gibberish now, Scott. My comment had to do with Jesus / Yeshua and I think you know that.
I don't believe it matters whether a person uses Jesus or Yeshua. It's the same person.
Blessings,
Fairlight

mrscottyl said:
I am not saying that you can not call Him any name that you would like. And I am not saying that if someone who does not know any better calls Him by the only name they know to call Him that He will not answer.

GOOD ! I'm glad we agree. :)
GOOD NIGHT, Scott...God Bless !
Fairlight

Fairlight said:
mrscottyl said:
So if a person calls YaHuWaH by Buddah because that is the name of the Almighty in their language, is that approved by YaHuWaH? Or can a Satanist call Him by the name Lucifer and that be alright? How about calling Him Allah?

Of course not ! Buddah is not the ONE TRUE GOD of the Old and New Testaments....neither is Satan.
You're talking gibberish now, Scott. My comment had to do with Jesus / Yeshua and I think you know that.
I don't believe it matters whether a person uses Jesus or Yeshua. It's the same person.
Blessings,
Fairlight

You actually were saying that Pastor John was not being sarcastic - which means he was serious - when he asked "what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. My apologies to Will S." So even though personally you may believe that you can call on either Jesus or Yahushua, you defended Pastor John and said he was serious about that comment and not sarcastic. So then to Him, you can call the One true Elohim of Both testaments, based on that serious comment by Pastor John that you upheld, any name including Buddah. If you study Linguistics, you will find that when you say the word God, it actually comes from the title for Buddah. In German, God is Got, and the title for Buddah is Gotmah (sp?). So in saying "the ONE TRUE GOD", you have just said the ONE TRUE BUDDAH, whether you realize it or not.

Scott

Fairlight said:
mrscottyl said:
I am not saying that you can not call Him any name that you would like. And I am not saying that if someone who does not know any better calls Him by the only name they know to call Him that He will not answer.

GOOD ! I'm glad we agree. :)
GOOD NIGHT, Scott...God Bless !
Fairlight

As I said, it is a free world and you can call Him any name you would like, such as Buddah, Lucifer, or Allah. But Scripture says one can not. I asked for a Scripture that contradicted the one I gave.

Scott

P.S. I guess the sad part is that I am a night person, and sometimes, will go 24 hours before sleeping.

I am very limited in what I can post. My computer died. Again I am going to insist we know exactly what the LORD meant us to know and it is correct. If not our Religion is a joke.

Many, perhaps most, people who read the information posted here at Biblical Families do so because they realize that Jeremiah 16:19 is correct - we have INDEED "inherited lies" through our fathers.

Why can some remain so wedded to false tradition, though, that they remain unwilling to even consider that such lies and pagan idolatry were not limited to false doctrines concerning marriage alone?

The whole point of the "Messianic Judaism" movement -- more broadly recognized as movements like "YaHuwAHns", "Hebrew Roots", "Torah-Observant Believers, or even "first-century christianity" -- is that the lies and distortions of the Pharisees and their latter-day cousins who styled themselves the ONLY Church "Universal", and executed those who dared to suggest that "apostolic succession" did not include the ability to rewrite Scripture, are NOT confined to a single issue!

There is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THOUGHT PROCESS associated with a Hebraic mindset than a Greco-Romanized one. As has been correctly pointed out, words and word-roots like "theo- "; "deo- "; baal/'lord'; and even 'christos' apply to ANY and every pagan 'god'. Names like "Easter", however, apply specifically to pagan goddesses, and are absolutely and explicitly prohibited by Him in His Word, and called "abomination" to Him. His Name YHVH, which was removed by both pharisees and popes, is referenced over twenty THOUSAND times in Scripture -- and He says it is important over 7 thousand times (precisely 7777 times in fact, according to at least one "scholar" I respect).

Ever notice how so many of YHVH's prophets have part of His Name in their own? (And, no - you will NOT see this in the more careless translations.) Phonetically, some obvious ones are:

EliYAHUW -- "The Almighty is YAHuw(AH) " (aka "Elijah")
YermeYAHUW -- "Resurrection is YAHuw(AH)" (aka "Jeremiah")
YashaYAHUW -- "The Savior is YAHuw(AH)" (aka "Isaiah")
ZachariYAHUW -- "YAHuw(AH) remembers His promises" (aka "Zechariah")

YAHUshua is the Name -- and Title -- that was given by the malakiYAH (messengers of YAH, aka 'angels') to His earthly parents for the Savior. The meaning, Title, and purpose of His life are obvious in the Hebrew, and obscured in translation: "YAHuw is Salvation".

(The 'short-form' or familiar 'nickname' Yeshua is more akin to just meaning "salvation"; it thus drops the important reference to YAH or YAHU in His Name. Not necessarily "wrong", just a distinction that is worth understanding. Is that not a reasonable service for us to attempt in respect to our King?)

And does this mean that "whosoever will" cannot come to Him from Mitzraim, from Moab, from Canaan, from ignorance, from paganism, from sin -- and humble themselves, turn from their wicked ways, (t'shuvAH or repent) and seek His face? "YHVH forbid!" But as "Hosea" (AHosha, or "YAH is our eternal Savior"; v 4:6) warned, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge! And because you have REJECTED knowledge, I will reject you for being priests for Me, and will also forget your children!"

Some here have tried to claim that we know what He has meant us to know, and that any implication that there could be errors in certain texts somehow implies that YHVH is incapable of "preserving His Word". The existence of multiple Greek texts with significant variations and contradictions demonstrates the absurdity of such assertions, as do English translations with similar issues. The problem is men: doctrine, tradition, and shortcomings from bias to dishonesty to just plain laziness...not His Word.

His Name and His Word HAS been preserved!

But only for those willing to SEARCH OUT THE TRUTH FOR THEMSELVES!

We are given the example of the Bereans (Acts 17:11) for a reason. But those who prefer their tradition to the Truth have to ignore the obvious: at the time that story was written, those people of Berea did not have a SINGLE "new testament gospel" to read! They studied "for themselves" from the "Torah", the "TANAKH". Everything they needed to confirm just exactly Who He was, and what He had done for us was available then, just as it is now*. But they had to be willing to do the work. That has not changed.

Blessings in the Name of YAHushua,

Mark

-------------------------------
* Over 5700 publicly-available papyri manuscripts (most written in Greek, some Aramaic - at libraries, museums, universities, etc) contain His Name in phonetic rendering. (source: OSE1, The King's Covenant, pp.7-15, including document names, references, and locations)

Interesting to note are errors in other historic documents from Greek language sources which indicate that 'the name' of the diety of the 'jews' was pronounced "pipi". Why? Evidently some "scholars" and translators were not aware that some documents included direct renderings of the Name (tetragrammatron, YHVH, יהוה)
is read right-to-left, instead of the opposite direction, like Greek (and English).

It looked like "pi - iota - pi - iota " to some; thus, "pipi". There are MANY ways for the enemy to occult, obscure, hide, distort, or just outright lie about the truth. Perhaps that is why Yahushua told us the path is in fact narrow, and "few there be that find it".

This topic has come up before and it is a valid subject, but heated usually. Most all points have been stated again. So as to focus not on debate but on support for plural beliefs perhaps the topic has been covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back