• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Messy-antics

I am what most would call a Messianic Jew. I am a disciple of the Messiah, a student of Torah, and fervent about doing things the "right way".

So, here comes the "but".

My friend and I are up in the land of Israel right now to celebrate the late festivals: Yom Teruakh, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot. Unlike many tours which seem to focus mainly on holy tourism, I am also introducing my friend to the realities of Modern day Israel.
Sure, most of us have probably seen pictures of the Tel Aviv gay pride parades in the news, felt a rise of righteous I donation, and then clicked on to the next little bit of "clickbait" on the news site, but how many of us have considered what it really must be like on the ground as we debate about Sacred Name, Flat Earth, Fema Camps, and all the rest?

The Bible tells us that the Torah shall go forth from Tsion, and the Word of the Almighty from Jerusalem (paraphrase). When I go to Jerusalem I see many religious leaders who face the Western Wall, yes, but seem to more than just literally have turned their backs on the people outside of Jerusalem.

I see in Israel a great moral abyss. The youth, I am told, are disenchanted by the religious who offer them no real Spirituality for which they hunger, and disenchanted by what seems to be perpetual conflict in which they are called upon to die for a land that they are not really religiously connected to.

The Christianity largely represented in the land consist of largely territorial-squabbling Orthodox Churches at the Church of the "Holy Sepulchre": a place stuffed full of and surrounded by idolatrous iconography and Christian Tourists who want to be baptized in the Jordan, take a picture with an OFF Soldier, and get the "Jerusalem Experience".

Are the Messianic much better? In my experience, no. I've carted people about with harps and silver trumpets, shofars and Tekhelet. It can be like a Holy theme park rollercoaster.

To be clear, I have nothing against being zealous for the things of God. We should delight to honor Him. By the same token, however, if you were to see even the animal of an enemy going astray, should you not lead it back to its master? How much more so should we be invested in helping people than animals come back to their living Bridegroom? He is no enemy of mine, even.

If you go to Jerusalem, go to be equipped to take the light back to the world around you. You may then find that endless internet conspiracies are less important than a guy sleeping on the side of the street. You may find that Yeshua' s words about what we do for the least of His brethren, we are actually doing for Him becomes a better service than sitting on a mountain somewhere blowing on a Ram's horn.

Perhaps, considering the principle above, He will return His presence to Jerusalem when we invite those brethren back home. Or do we leave Mashiach homeless? How then can we leave His brethren thus?

Remember that pure and undefined religion isn't written to us as merely being a more precise moon sighting than your brother down the street that is doing the best he knows how to do, same as you.

It is to visit the widows and orphans in their need. If you saw the Bride of Messiah lost and broken on the side of the road, how would the King take it if you couldn't be even as righteous as the good Samaritan, but acted rather like the Priest and the Levite on their way up to Jerusalem?

How would He feel about you lending her a hand, lifting her up, helping her to clean off the dust of the road, and leading her back to His house?

These are my personal meditations and a challenge to you and me from my road up to Jerusalem. So, Chag Sameach from Israel, Yom Teruakh Sameach, and may the Father bless you and keep you during these times.

Only, please remember, that you don't forget the poor. For we are all poor but for Him.

By the way, this isn't just about Jerusalem and Israel, but also your place of worship and your home town, too. Be a student of the Word, a Disciple of the Messiah. Love the Almighty with all your heart, soul, and strength. Love your neighbor as yourself.

By the same token, however, if you were to see even the animal of an enemy going astray, should you not lead it back to its master? How much more so should we be invested in helping people than animals come back to their living Bridegroom? He is no enemy of mine, even.

That was satisfying.

I am what most would call a Messianic Jew. I am a disciple of the Messiah, a student of Torah, and fervent about doing things the "right way".... Yom Teruakh, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot...
These are my personal meditations and a challenge to you and me from my road up to Jerusalem. So, Chag Sameach from Israel, Yom Teruakh Sameach, and may the Father bless you and keep you during these times.
It's "Yom Teruah" brother, not "Yom Teruakh" it's 'heh' at the end יום תרועה
The way you are writing it means "training day" which kinda works too :)
Yom teruah means "day of blast" like a horn blast.
Most Jews/Gentiles in the states will recognize it as Rosh Hashanah (loosely "New Year") it's more common name (though not torah-based). Though I think Hebrew Roots guys don't like to call it Rosh Hashannah, just Messianic Jews / regular recipe Jews and most Americans.

l'shannah tovah! (Happy New Year, Happy Rosh Hashannah)

Last edited:
It's "Yom Teruah" brother, not "Yom Teruakh" it's 'heh' at the end יום תרועה
The way you are writing it means "training day" which kinda works too :)
Yom teruah means "day of blast" like a horn blast.
Most Jews/Gentiles in the states will recognize it as Rosh Hashanah (loosely "New Year") it's more common name (though not torah-based). Though I think Hebrew Roots guys don't like to call it Rosh Hashannah, just Messianic Jews / regular recipe Jews and most Americans.

l'shannah tovah! (Happy New Year, Happy Rosh Hashannah)
You are correct, of course. It is Yom Teruah. I am slightly dyslexic.

You are correct, of course. It is Yom Teruah. I am slightly dyslexic.
No problem, I wasn't going to correct you but I saw you kept writing it that way on more than one post.
We are all learning :) !

Great post. I particularly liked this bit:

If you go to Jerusalem, go to be equipped to take the light back to the world around you. You may then find that endless internet conspiracies are less important than a guy sleeping on the side of the street. You may find that Yeshua' s words about what we do for the least of His brethren, we are actually doing for Him becomes a better service than sitting on a mountain somewhere blowing on a Ram's horn.

The few Messianics I've met (not many, in my neck of the woods) seem to be of this variety--really just regular Protestants with an 'Israel-crush' and an addiction to flag waving and shofar blowing. In reality, nothing changes. The sheep are still lost, the poor remain broken. All the 'messianic' ceremony in the world can't substitute for true religion, and true religion is not dependent on the fetishisation of one particular ethnic group or another.

I am what most would call a Messianic Jew. I am a disciple of the Messiah, a student of Torah, and fervent about doing things the "right way"

I'm curious, are you Jewish? Have you always been Messianic, and if not, what led you to be? Please don't think me rude, I'm just curious, having not been exposed to Messianic people and only recently examining these things.

The few Messianics I've met (not many, in my neck of the woods) seem to be of this variety--really just regular Protestants with an 'Israel-crush' and an addiction to flag waving and shofar blowing. In reality, nothing changes. The sheep are still lost, the poor remain broken. All the 'messianic' ceremony in the world can't substitute for true religion, and true religion is not dependent on the fetishisation of one particular ethnic group or another.
The term "Messianic" has been largely ruined in the past decade due to the sheer volume of "Fakers".
The movement was started by Jews for Jews so we wouldn't have to throw away our culture and G-d's Law (often intertwined). We didn't want to live by Gentile church culture and we didn't think our fellow Jews should have to do this. Many Gentiles liked our music and dancing and ..ahem.. bagels. It also attracted people with say 1 grandparent or less who was a Jew and they wanted to connect to this part of their lost culture.
Over time other groups liked the word "Messianic" and began to misappropriate our term; this is a huge problem for me with the "sacred namers" movements. They seized the term "Messianic" though there is no real Jew to be found among them. They proclaim G-d's name day and night (which Jews never do out of respect).
Then you have other movements like the "Hebrew roots" movements which sincerely believe Gentiles should live like Messianic Jews (under torah). Many of those movements are finding their way and theologies vacillate...
ironically, one such Hebrew Roots guy, Michael Rood (Shabbat night live show) had the audacity to call Messianic Judaism a cult (while he himself spent many years in an actual cult "The way" leading people astray).
But hey he has a beard and he says the Pharisaical blessing over bread and wine so he's gotta know what he's talking about right?

In short, if you wanna know if you are getting "the real deal" check if the congregation you visit is a member of the UMJC (United Messianic Jewish Congregations). In this movement the "rabbi" or "leader" must be a Jew. Gentiles are welcome and usually the majority of the congregation are actually Gentiles.

C.S. Lewis makes the claim in His "Mere Christianity" that the word "Christian" does not mean "Christian" any more. I put to you that the word "Messianic" has been similarly ruined in a much shorter time. Everyone says they are one, most can't even take the 2 hours it takes to learn to read Hebrew.
In short, if it's all showy and there isn't a Hebrew worship service, reading from a Hebrew torah publicly, etc.
you're not at a Messianic Synagogue. You're among a bunch of "wannabees" who are abusing the term.

One tell tale sign of a "fake" Messianic is they will bash the rabbis/sages or our father Jacob the patriarch; also they may get testy/annoyed if you calmly ask them who is Jewish in their family.

Last edited:
The term "Messianic" has been largely ruined in the past decade due to the sheer volume of "Fakers".
The movement was started by Jews for Jews so we wouldn't have to throw away our culture and G-d's Law (often intertwined). We didn't want to live by Gentile church culture and we didn't think our fellow Jews should have to do this. Many Gentiles liked our music and dancing and ..ahem.. bagels. It also attracted people with say 1 grandparent or less who was a Jew and they wanted to connect to this part of their lost culture.
Over time other groups liked the word "Messianic" and began to misappropriate our term; this is a huge problem for me with the "sacred namers" movements. They seized the term "Messianic" though there is no real Jew to be found among them. They proclaim G-d's name day and night (which Jews never do out of respect).
Then you have other movements like the "Hebrew roots" movements which sincerely believe Gentiles should live like Messianic Jews (under torah). Many of those movements are finding their way and theologies vacillate...
ironically, one such Hebrew Roots guy, Michael Rood (Shabbat night live show) had the audacity to call Messianic Judaism a cult (while he himself spent many years in an actual cult "The way" leading people astray).
But hey he has a beard and he says the Pharisaical blessing over bread and wine so he's gotta know what he's talking about right?

In short, if you wanna know if you are getting "the real deal" check if the congregation you visit is a member of the UMJC (United Messianic Jewish Congregations). In this movement the "rabbi" or "leader" must be a Jew. Gentiles are welcome and usually the majority of the congregation are actually Gentiles.

C.S. Lewis makes the claim in His "Mere Christianity" that the word "Christian" does not mean "Christian" any more. I put to you that the word "Messianic" has been similarly ruined in a much shorter time. Everyone says they are one, most can't even take the 2 hours it takes to learn to read Hebrew.
In short, if it's all showy and there isn't a Hebrew worship service, reading from a Hebrew torah publicly, etc.
you're not at a Messianic Synagogue. You're among a bunch of "wannabees" who are abusing the term.

One tell tale sign of a "fake" Messianic is they will bash the rabbis/sages or our father Jacob the patriarch; also they may get testy/annoyed if you calmly ask them who is Jewish in their family.
I can testify to much if this from personal experience.

Obviously "2 hours" is exaggerated for effect, but if you know a good way to learn to read Hebrew rapidly, could you post a link?
No that's how long it usually takes. My wife and I do workshops; she usually teaches reading since I hate teaching that.

record was 38 minutes one Jewish guy I taught at work years ago.
there are only 22 letters and they are phonetic so it's not like reading English.
Yes there are vowels too but really you can do it in 2 hours or less. I don't know how to teach to read "fast" like you ask. That just comes with learning the vocabulary so you actually know what you are reading. Don't worry if that takes time to get fast; totally normal.
When I say "reading" I just mean sounding out letters as slow as it takes at first.

Fascinating! I have tried to get my head around the letters, but I struggle to remember them, they're so different to Latin characters. Would you have a video of one of these workshops online, or know of something similar?
I meant "rapidly learn to read Hebrew" but reversed that as I typed because it's late at night...

Fascinating! I have tried to get my head around the letters, but I struggle to remember them, they're so different to Latin characters. Would you have a video of one of these workshops online, or know of something similar?
I meant "rapidly learn to read Hebrew" but reversed that as I typed because it's late at night...
Try this.
Just use the block script, just put one letter on a flash card and don't worry about the name of the letter.
Reduce the memorization to the absolute minimum. Just make the sound the letter makes when you see it.
Later as your HEbrew studies progress you'll "accidentally" get the names of the letters. We should only care about the sounds they make now / that's half the information saved right away!
Write your name, children's names, etc. with Hebrew letters. Practice looking over it. Your brain will know who's name it is so this will be a nice "immersion" mini trick.

Write the outline of a letter in the air with your finger making the sound it makes to etch it in your mind.
Write it on paper, be sure to write it very neat if you usually have sloppy hand writing.
Don't worry about cursive "modern" Hebrew script. The goal is the bible ... again more information saved.

I usually have people skip the 'sofit' letters at first (the final forms) but my wife who teaches alephbet much more often does it all at once. I find it's less confusing for people to not have to deal with the final forms right away.

Practice writing notes to your wife or friend who is studying too. Use Hebrew letters to write English words. The guy who learned in 38 minutes would leave me messages on the white board outside my office like "קריס איס דומ" Chris is dumb" haha stuff like that.
This really engages your brain and it's not wasting extra effort actually learn Hebrew vocabulary yet.

The vowels signs do add time; my bad on that.
There's also a real cool video online that some students like (my daughter memorized this song rather than the boring aleph bet usual song.
Alef bet - darshan

Let me know if you like the video. .. Darshan means "preacher"

No that's how long it usually takes. My wife and I do workshops; she usually teaches reading since I hate teaching that.

record was 38 minutes one Jewish guy I taught at work years ago.
there are only 22 letters and they are phonetic so it's not like reading English.
Yes there are vowels too but really you can do it in 2 hours or less. I don't know how to teach to read "fast" like you ask. That just comes with learning the vocabulary so you actually know what you are reading. Don't worry if that takes time to get fast; totally normal.
When I say "reading" I just mean sounding out letters as slow as it takes at first.
I had someone offering to teach my son before he could even read English. I was assured that he could get it in several days (he was only 3 or 4 at the time).

I had someone offering to teach my son before he could even read English. I was assured that he could get it in several days (he was only 3 or 4 at the time).
Sounds about right.
Yeah my daughter learned when she was 2 and a half. For her it was just letter recognition though, not reading.
We went kind of slowly with her about a month. My wife thinks if we'd been aggressive it would have taken a week.
I was concerned about messing up her upper and lowercase English letters.

Sounds about right.
Yeah my daughter learned when she was 2 and a half. For her it was just letter recognition though, not reading.
We went kind of slowly with her about a month. My wife thinks if we'd been aggressive it would have taken a week.
I was concerned about messing up her upper and lowercase English letters.
It never happened, and now I regret it.

Great advice @IshChayil, thankyou.
There's also a real cool video online that some students like (my daughter memorized this song rather than the boring aleph bet usual song.
Alef bet - darshan

Not keen on that video to be honest: meditating figure with the kabbalistic tree of life superimposed apparently representing chakras, astrological symbology, the eye on a hand, eye in an inverted triangle... I'm interested in learning a language, not a system of mysticism that looks like hinduism with Hebrew labels! That's a whole other kettle of fish. But it is very interesting to see the imagery, for a range of reasons, thankyou.

Last edited:
Alef bet - darshan

My daughter prefers this video over the sea same street but my boy's like Sesame street one.

Back