• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Midwest regional retreat in spring 2023? Need your input

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
There is a large section of the Midwest we've never had a retreat in, including: Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. We have done extreme southern Missouri a couple times.

That's a big area, and while some folks have traveled from those areas to further retreats, I wonder how many new folks we could meet by coming closer to them. At this retreat we had the privilege of meeting @ABlessedMan and his family, and they are very interested in helping host a Midwest meetup, something we've been wanting to do as a group as well.

So we need to gauge interest before making plans. Our big summer family retreat will likely be in August again, and likely in or near Tennessee again also. Too far for some Midwesterners likely.

So who would be interested in a retreat, either mid May or perhaps into early June, in the center of the MidWest - maybe Nebraska or nearby? (Where ever we can find reasonable hotel options.) Are there particular dates that would work better than others for you?

Maybe we could find something like this in Sturgis: https://www.sturgisdaysendcampground.com/ instead of a hotel?

So we need your input: are you likely to consider coming to a Midwest event, and what would make it more attractive in terms of location and date range? Sound off here, or we won't be doing it!

Last edited:
So, I'm just pasting a bunch of "@" signs at us "midwest" folk . . . just on the off hand that Nathan's post slips down in the feed:

@B1070 , @PatrickJ , @rockfox , @Torahobservantmmck86 , @Edward , @Bria , @phaedrus

Are any of you lot up to get together this May? And do you know anyone else who might be?

The retreat in Houston was an amazing blessing . . . but also a 12 hour drive for us. Anywhere in the Midwest will be closer and there are a number of you that we look forward to meeting.

In Christ,

ABM

There is a large section of the Midwest we've never had a retreat in, including: Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. We have done extreme southern Missouri a couple times.

That's a big area, and while some folks have traveled from those areas to further retreats, I wonder how many new folks we could meet by coming closer to them. At this retreat we had the privilege of meeting @ABlessedMan and his family, and they are very interested in helping host a Midwest meetup, something we've been wanting to do as a group as well.

So we need to gauge interest before making plans. Our big summer family retreat will likely be in August again, and likely in or near Tennessee again also. Too far for some Midwesterners likely.

So who would be interested in a retreat, either mid May or perhaps into early June, in the center of the MidWest - maybe Nebraska or nearby? (Where ever we can find reasonable hotel options.) Are there particular dates that would work better than others for you?

Maybe we could find something like this in Sturgis: https://www.sturgisdaysendcampground.com/ instead of a hotel?

So we need your input: are you likely to consider coming to a Midwest event, and what would make it more attractive in terms of location and date range? Sound off here, or we won't be doing it!

Keep me updated!

I’d love to make it to the big one in Tennessee but that will probably be to far for us now realistically. Something between the Mississippi and the Rockies would be much more doable. No idea on dates right now.

May is not a good time for us, with a new arrival expected late may. Sure sounds fun though!

Busiest time of the year for us, hard to get away for anything.

Shalom,

We have HGV & RCI Resorts and Thousand Trails and would love to see if that also would help with gatherings.

Mark Abraham

Well, for all of you . . . who maybe haven't attended a retreat. . . 12 hours in the car was a small price to pay for the last one. We (as a family) have been SO blessed, not just by the lifelong friends that we have met . . . and by the encouragement of like-minded Christians from scripture. . . but most of all in the fact that the LORD purposed it for our good and His Glory.

So, I'm not telling you to go. In fact, if He tells you NOT to. . .then don't. However, before you say, "It's a long way" or even "I'm really busy" (trust me, I know. Spring and summer is a rough time with us as well.) . . . ask the question, "IS the LORD asking me to do this?" He made it clear that He wanted us at the retreat in TX . . . and I am SO grateful that He did. SOME of us are going to get together (come what may). There are some of you that I have always liked though never spoken to you (not to mention any names but his initals are " @rockfox ") . . . and others that we would be happy to get to know IRL.

So yeah, I've said my piece.

Thanks for the tag! We are from the Midwest but recently moved south east. We still have family and some business to take care of in the Midwest though, so it could possibly work out depending on when and where?

The campground looks nice!

If there is kid care even if we did rotations like last year's summer retreat the likelihood of us coming is better.

Do you summer in Breezy Point?

LOL! there's more than one Pelican Lake! I didn't know that!

Steve's family has a house on the west end of the lake that's west and south a little from the town of Detroit Lakes.

PelicanLake.jpg

Would somewhere in central Missouri be close enough for you? @MeganC

At this point with Steve doing chemo we are not planning any spring time trips other than going to Costco in Billings. But summer is very likely to happen because his family does it every year. It's like a come and go family reunion that lasts all summer.

Back