• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Midwest regional retreat in spring 2023? Need your input

LOL! there's more than one Pelican Lake! I didn't know that!

Steve's family has a house on the west end of the lake that's west and south a little from the town of Detroit Lakes.

View attachment 4574
Ah yes that is a beautiful area. DL, as we call it, is so much larger (9800) than any city around us lol. Our town has maybe 900 people. Enjoy your time on the lake!

At this point with Steve doing chemo we are not planning any spring time trips other than going to Costco in Billings. But summer is very likely to happen because his family does it every year. It's like a come and go family reunion that lasts all summer.
Prayers for you all! May God's healing hand be upon him and his comforting spirit be with you.

So who would be interested in a retreat, either mid May or perhaps into early June, in the center of the MidWest - maybe Nebraska or nearby? (Where ever we can find reasonable hotel options.) Are there particular dates that would work better than others for you?
MN is nice and the airport is great. It's very central.

If it is after the first week of June (or 6/10-already set for a family commitment), that’s doable for us to travel to the Midwest area 🙂

Last edited:
At this point with Steve doing chemo we are not planning any spring time trips other than going to Costco in Billings. But summer is very likely to happen because his family does it every year. It's like a come and go family reunion that lasts all summer.
May Hashem Bless him and make him well and May Hashem Bless all his generations as well.

If we do another one in Tennessee that's right down the street from where we live now. About an hour or so from our front door to the venue. But definitely would second what my wife said about Minnesota. If you choose to do one up there it would be a pretty easy thing for us to work out since all of our kid care capable family is in that state.

There is a large section of the Midwest we've never had a retreat in, including: Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. We have done extreme southern Missouri a couple times.

That's a big area, and while some folks have traveled from those areas to further retreats, I wonder how many new folks we could meet by coming closer to them. At this retreat we had the privilege of meeting @ABlessedMan and his family, and they are very interested in helping host a Midwest meetup, something we've been wanting to do as a group as well.

So we need to gauge interest before making plans. Our big summer family retreat will likely be in August again, and likely in or near Tennessee again also. Too far for some Midwesterners likely.

So who would be interested in a retreat, either mid May or perhaps into early June, in the center of the MidWest - maybe Nebraska or nearby? (Where ever we can find reasonable hotel options.) Are there particular dates that would work better than others for you?

Maybe we could find something like this in Sturgis: https://www.sturgisdaysendcampground.com/ instead of a hotel?

So we need your input: are you likely to consider coming to a Midwest event, and what would make it more attractive in terms of location and date range? Sound off here, or we won't be doing it!
Is there a retreat that’s not just for families since I’m not currently in a family yet? TN is right below me tho!

Is there a retreat that’s not just for families since I’m not currently in a family yet? TN is right below me tho!
All the retreats are for singles and families alike. Don't feel unwelcome because families is mentioned. It's just that most people there are married.

What @NickF said. I think any retreat would be beneficial as you are trying to decide if plural marriage is for really for you. We would love to have you come.

You would most definitely be made to feel comfortable. Accommodations up to and including a woman in leadership being assigned to walk in front of you with a cattle prod, zapping men who get too close, can and would be arranged.

Has a exact date and location been set yet....
Actually yes, and to be announced in a newsletter as soon as tomorrow. But we ARE doing this - weekend of May 12-14, in Rapid City, SD. We don't have the particular hotel contract nailed down yet, but that is the where and when. I will start a new thread when we do. Just 6 weeks away, so no time to lose planning. Feel free to write retreats@biblicalfamilies.org for the details, when they are available - looking forward to meeting a few new people! I will be there, as will @ABlessedMan, who will be helping out.

Actually yes, and to be announced in a newsletter as soon as tomorrow. But we ARE doing this - weekend of May 12-14, in Rapid City, SD. We don't have the particular hotel contract nailed down yet, but that is the where and when. I will start a new thread when we do. Just 6 weeks away, so no time to lose planning. Feel free to write retreats@biblicalfamilies.org for the details, when they are available - looking forward to meeting a few new people! I will be there, as will @ABlessedMan, who will be helping out.

Excellent choice, and a good time of year to do it. I hope you all take advantage of the time to see some sights in the Black Hills. Touristy stuff aside, there are some excellent hikes and lakes to enjoy in the Hills.

Back