• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Missionary speak well of polygynous local convert

ChrisM

I get emails from some missionaries all over, some with whom we have worked and others that are friends of friends, etc. We have enjoyed getting to know more about the Moi tribe and get letters from Rich Brown periodically. Recently, the email updates have included discussion of this man who moved to the village as a helper to the missionaries, proclaiming the Gospel to other tribes and villages, talking of his two wives and 4 children (1 recently died of whooping cough) and of this man's labors for the Lord.

I wrote him recently to ask what his thoughts were on this man with two wives. Brother Rich obviously thinks highly of him and asked him to move in with them to help further the Gospel work. I asked if he had received any input, be it good or bad, about the polygyny issue. I also directed him to the book linked here on BF, "History and Philosophy of Marriage"

Anyone else have missionary friends who publicly talk about the good men with more than one wife? I sure hadn't seen it until recently, but now wonder if my brother will either step up to condemn the man or stand on God's Word and refuse to condemn him.

From the Brown's email:

We grieved with his mother, while her husband was away. Here is an excerpt about this from Rich's journal..."This morning Karen, Alyssa, and I went to comfort and cry with Daokabatu. It’s sad her husband couldn’t be here to mourn too, as he is in Dao on a trip. Daokabatu is showing such confident faith in God’s plan in this tragic loss. It’s now her second son to die. This morning as we were crying with her, she, in the midst of her tears, told us that it was God who determined his (Maiki's) appointed time to die and she can only praise Him. It was clear that she had already determined in her mind to accept what was given to her. She has indeed humbly accepted it. It was so touching to hear her praise God in the midst of her deepest sorrow."

Upiyawogui, pictured here with his other son, showed up the day after his baby boy was buried. It was so hard to see him grieve. The next day, with sadness still in his eyes, he shared that during his travels he came across a hamlet that was desperate to hear the Creator's Talk. He said it broke his heart. That alone spoke volumes to us. It showed that he was still measuring what is truly important in the light of eternity. Please pray for Upiyawogui, his two wives, and three children. They are one of the families that has steadily grown despite some hard trials.

We grieved with his mother, while her husband was away. Here is an excerpt about this from Rich's journal..."This morning Karen, Alyssa, and I went to comfort and cry with Daokabatu. It’s sad her husband couldn’t be here to mourn too, as he is in Dao on a trip. Daokabatu is showing such confident faith in God’s plan in this tragic loss. It’s now her second son to die. This morning as we were crying with her, she, in the midst of her tears, told us that it was God who determined his (Maiki's) appointed time to die and she can only praise Him. It was clear that she had already determined in her mind to accept what was given to her. She has indeed humbly accepted it. It was so touching to hear her praise God in the midst of her deepest sorrow."

Upiyawogui, pictured here with his other son, showed up the day after his baby boy was buried. It was so hard to see him grieve. The next day, with sadness still in his eyes, he shared that during his travels he came across a hamlet that was desperate to hear the Creator's Talk. He said it broke his heart. That alone spoke volumes to us. It showed that he was still measuring what is truly important in the light of eternity. Please pray for Upiyawogui, his two wives, and three children. They are one of the families that has steadily grown despite some hard trials.

Wow. I am not sure I would be so accepting if one of my children died! What incredible faith and courage.

Cow fam said:
One more thing we are thankful for is that we are now seeing some of the older married men growing in their faithfulness. Having brought much more baggage into their new life in Christ they have grown more slowly, but nonetheless they are growing. Upiyawogui decided to leave his home, a full days hike away, in order that he might live here with his two wives and four children, so that they might continue to be taught God’s Word. His oldest daughter, Iyedibea, is pictured with our three girls above.

Oh I do hope that they remain accepting of his 2 wives. It sickens me to hear how some families have been broken up because of missionaries. I'll be praying that that doesn't happen here.

Back