• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Motherhood at an advanced age?

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Parallel to the Fatherhood question being discussed on another thread.

I was 45 when I had our youngest. The pregnancy had no complications and the daughter is bright and healthy.

My aunt knew a woman who had her last two in her 50's (54 and 56) on purpose.

There is a lot of fear mongering from the medical field......I just choose to ignore that.

I know women here that have had babies in their mid-40's with no problems. They did find pregnancy easier in their earlier years than later on though.
Apparently over 35 is considered 'geriatric' medically. More prone to complications.
I wonder if that is just age, or if it's the fact that most women are having their first child over the age of 35 now.

I know women here that have had babies in their mid-40's with no problems. They did find pregnancy easier in their earlier years than later on though.
Apparently over 35 is considered 'geriatric' medically. More prone to complications.
I wonder if that is just age, or if it's the fact that most women are having their first child over the age of 35 now.
A lot of women aren't having children now because they thought it was fine waiting until they were over 35. 😣

Pregnancies after 30 were harder on my body than before 30 but I have still had beautiful, healthy babies in my “old age.” Though I am only 35 now.. I can’t imagine trying to begin motherhood now.

Fun fact, when we lived in Hawaii, once a mother hit 35 years old, the hospital on one of the islands wouldn’t even deliver for “geriatric mothers”.. you had to fly to another island if you chose or need hospital care.

Fun fact, when we lived in Hawaii, once a mother hit 35 years old, the hospital on one of the islands wouldn’t even deliver for “geriatric mothers”.. you had to fly to another island if you chose or need hospital care.
WOW!
That’s awful.

35 seems extremely young to me. In what world is 35 considered old.
The complications of pregnancy and labour go up. And while this is a real thing, I would very much like to know if it's actually over the age of 35 that is an issue, or those having their first child over the age of 35. And then find out how they didn't get pregnant before 35. Were they on birth control for 20 years? Does that have an impact? Did they have abortions when they were younger? There are many things that could be factors and not just being aged 35.

35 seems extremely young to me. In what world is 35 considered old.

It is old for a first time mom. The chance of conceiving your first at that age is very very low. But if you started having children in your early 20's then everything is in shape reproductively with eggs to spare and it's still fairly easy.

Recovery in your 30s and 40s isn't as easy as when in your 20s. But I think the bigger factor is a person's health. My wife was healthier for our later children than the early ones and pregnancies were much easier for those later ones; and easier for her than many first time moms (who in today's day and age seem as a rule to be fairly unhealthy).

Sooooo, funny story… after years of thinking more babies were a thing of the past for me, I found out I was pregnant this last December. I’m 40… and they’ve already used the term “geriatric pregnancy”. I’m like, “Guys, I’m only 40!” 😂 But the ladies saying that pregnancy is more difficult at an older age are not wrong. My oldest son is 16, my girls will be 14 when the baby gets here, and my youngest boy will be almost 12… I didn’t see this coming, to put it mildly.
It’s MUCH more difficult than the last time (I was 28), but I also appreciate this pregnancy and baby in a way that I couldn’t when I was that young. It may also have to do with the fact that I about had heart failure when I found out! 😂
Personally, I’ll take a baby whenever God decides to bless me with one. ;)

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Blessings from God.

I do find it quite funny when people call 35-40 old. I am 51 and have a 30 year old daughter, so that seems very young to me. I do realize that it's all in relation to childbearing age.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Blessings from God.

I do find it quite funny when people call 35-40 old. I am 51 and have a 30 year old daughter, so that seems very young to me. I do realize that it's all in relation to childbearing age.
Thank you!

Congratulations!!

My hubby said I wimped out on him with the last one...she was number 9 and I was 44! Our oldest was 20 when I had her. I think I did just fine for a 1 am birth. ;)

I still feel this way. I don't care if I'm 50...or 55. I'm not going to be afraid of more blessings! (But I'm also leaving it up to Him at this point....and not asking. I'd rather not have more miscarriages, please and thank you)

Congratulations! This child will have so much love in its life! And if it was me, I would be thinking about how much better a parent I would be this time around. lol

Sooooo, funny story… after years of thinking more babies were a thing of the past for me, I found out I was pregnant this last December. I’m 40… and they’ve already used the term “geriatric pregnancy”. I’m like, “Guys, I’m only 40!” 😂 But the ladies saying that pregnancy is more difficult at an older age are not wrong. My oldest son is 16, my girls will be 14 when the baby gets here, and my youngest boy will be almost 12… I didn’t see this coming, to put it mildly.
It’s MUCH more difficult than the last time (I was 28), but I also appreciate this pregnancy and baby in a way that I couldn’t when I was that young. It may also have to do with the fact that I about had heart failure when I found out! 😂
Well that gives me some hope. I’ll be 39 in June but can’t do that until finding the right man under God for that! I hope everything goes well for you!

Congratulations!

Just a thought from a male without the requisite equipment but the healthier you are and the better your hormones are doing then it will all the easier to manage births all the older.

So my personal recommendation would be to get yourself as low carb as you can. Lots of fatty beef butter and eggs. Plenty of organs if you can. Get that insulin resistance down and the LDL way up...that being a proverbial fuel for your hormones. And before you start wondering about the evil LDL's, it is not high LDL you have to worry about, it is high triglycerides and calcium accumulation that is a problem.

Back