• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Must a deacon be monogamous? What does Greek heis/mia/en mean here?

I think we have developed an overinflated role and authority for the bishop particularly in our American Christian culture that oddly mimics the RCC model. In retrospect of 41 years in (specifically Baptist) American Christianity, and much study in early writings (up thru the 1600’s) to compare the two, I’d have to say that the closest I’ve come to witnessing First Century Christianity style assembly has come later in my life, in the home churches and studies I’ve been privileged to attend.

I would also agree with that. There is this tendency for all church roles in American churches to be overinflated. Most American pastors basically operate like little popes.

A note about the baptists for those not familiar; a lot of them have deacons's which tend to operate more like elders in other faith traditions and the scriptures. And they'll also of course have the ubiquitous American pastor.

So this is very interesting to me. Melito was the Bishop of the church of Sardis, and apparently, he had no wife, was a eunuch (in form if not in fact) thereby becoming a notable exception to the phrase, A Bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife . . . .

Melito, the Philosopher.
------------

[a.d. 160-170-177.] Melito may have been the immediate successor of the "angel" (or "apostle") of the church of Sardis, to whom our Great High Priest addressed one of the apocalyptic messages. He was an "Apostolic Father" in point of fact; he very probably knew the blessed Polycarp and his disciple Irenaeus. He is justly revered for the diligence with which he sought out the evidence which, in his day, established the Canon of the Old Testament, then just complete.

In the following fragments we find him called Bishop of Sardis, Bishop of Ittica, and Bishop of Ittica. He is also introduced to us as "the Philosopher," and we shall find him styled "the Eunuch" by Polycrates. It is supposed that he had made himself a coelebs "for the kingdom of heaven's sake," without mistaking our Lord's intent, as did Origen. He was not a monk, but accepted a single estate to be the more free and single-eyed in the Master's service. From the encyclopedic erudition of Lightfoot we glean some particulars, as follows:-

So this is very interesting to me. Melito was the Bishop of the church of Sardis, and apparently, he had no wife, was a eunuch (in form if not in fact) thereby becoming a notable exception to the phrase, A Bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife . . . .

Melito, the Philosopher.
------------

[a.d. 160-170-177.] Melito may have been the immediate successor of the "angel" (or "apostle") of the church of Sardis, to whom our Great High Priest addressed one of the apocalyptic messages. He was an "Apostolic Father" in point of fact; he very probably knew the blessed Polycarp and his disciple Irenaeus. He is justly revered for the diligence with which he sought out the evidence which, in his day, established the Canon of the Old Testament, then just complete.

In the following fragments we find him called Bishop of Sardis, Bishop of Ittica, and Bishop of Ittica. He is also introduced to us as "the Philosopher," and we shall find him styled "the Eunuch" by Polycrates. It is supposed that he had made himself a coelebs "for the kingdom of heaven's sake," without mistaking our Lord's intent, as did Origen. He was not a monk, but accepted a single estate to be the more free and single-eyed in the Master's service. From the encyclopedic erudition of Lightfoot we glean some particulars, as follows:-
Interesting find, this certainly fits if the intent was as we discussed that less chaos at home meant more time for ministry :)
BTW You didn't paste the content after "as follows"

Interesting find, this certainly fits if the intent was as we discussed that less chaos at home meant more time for ministry :)
BTW You didn't paste the content after "as follows"

I’d agree that less chaos = more time for ministry as even a monogamous father can attest to. What I’ve not seen evidenced is that more wives automatically = more chaos. If done properly, being very discerning in your choice of wives, I can see where the exact opposite would be true. This would only be true in the Strong General /Strong Lieutenant model. This model would instead recommend you to the position. Every other model would restrict you from the position due to chaos within the wives or their inability to deal with the chaos that is ministry.

Also to be noted is that Melito is the only single man I’ve found as a bishop. He is the exception not the rule.

I’d agree that less chaos = more time for ministry as even a monogamous father can attest to. What I’ve not seen evidenced is that more wives automatically = more chaos. If done properly, being very discerning in your choice of wives, I can see where the exact opposite would be true. This would only be true in the Strong General /Strong Lieutenant model. This model would instead recommend you to the position. Every other model would restrict you from the position due to chaos within the wives or their inability to deal with the chaos that is ministry.

Also to be noted is that Melito is the only single man I’ve found as a bishop. He is the exception not the rule.
Yes, I've expressed this exact same perspective. I also think the man matters. Some guys are great communicators/leaders/team leaders and they pick their team correctly; on the contrary you could have a muslim man with 4 wives and 20 kids get saved and he may have done a piss poor job picking wives in his youth.

Just ran across this this morning

Sketches of Jewish Life in the Times of Christ

Alfred Edersheim

Chapter 18

The special qualifications for the office of Sanhedrist, mentioned in Rabbinical writings, are such as to remind us of the directions of St. Paul to Timothy (1 Tim 3: 1-10). A member of the Sanhedrim must be wise, modest, God-fearing, truthful, not greedy of filthy lucre, given to hospitality, kindly, not a gambler, nor a usurer, nor one who traded in the produce of Sabbatical years, nor yet one who indulged in unlawful games (Sanh. iii. 3). They were called “Sekenim,” “elders” (Luke 7: 3), “Memunim,” “rulers” (Mark 5: 22), “Parnasin,” “feeders, overseers, shepherds of the flock” (Acts 20: 28; 1 Peter 5: 2), and “Manhigei,” “guides” (Heb 13: 7). They were under the presidency and supreme rule of an “Archisynagogos,” or “Rosh-ha-Cheneseth,” “head of the synagogue” (Yom. vii. 1; Sot. vii. 7), who sometimes seems to have even exercised sole authority. The designation occurs frequently in the New Testament (Matt 9: 18; Mark 5: 35, 36, 38; Luke 8: 41, 49, 13: 14; Acts 18: 8, 17). The inferior functions in the synagogue devolved on the “chassan,” or “minister” (Luke 4: 20). In course of time, however, the “chassanim” combined with their original duties the office of schoolmaster; and at present they lead both the singing and the devotions of the synagogue. This duty originally devolved not on any fixed person, but whoever was chosen might for the time being act as “Sheliach Zibbur,” or “legate of the congregation.” Most modern writers have imagined, that the expression “angel of the Church,” in the epistles to the seven churches in the book of Revelation, was used in allusion to this ancient arrangement of the synagogue. But the fact that the “Sheliach Zibbur” represented not an office but a function, renders this view untenable. Besides, in that case, the corresponding Greek expression would rather have been “apostle” than “angel of the Church.” Possibly, however, the writer of the Epistle to the Hebrews may refer to it, when he designates the Lord Jesus “the Apostle and High-Priest of our profession” (Heb 3: 1). Besides these functionaries, we also read of “Gabaei Zedakah,” or collectors of charity, to whom the Talmud (B. Bathra, 8 b) by a jeu de mots applies the promise that they “shall be as the stars for ever and ever” (Dan 12: 3), since they lead many to “righteousness.”

Back