• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

My next six wives...

Maddog

Male
As all the regulars on here know, I am not a regular but have been here for a while. Not too much different from the Easter and Christmas Sunday attendees. I am however a lurker and read most of the entries. Yes it took a while to read but hey, I am a slow reader! Perhaps this has been discussed before but not recently (that I read) but the reference to Isaiah 4 and seven women will grab ahold of a man and beg him has itself grabbed my attention. Perhaps my next six wives will be stinky, balding, dishevelled, dirty, desperate, and a bit gross. I would venture a guess that you all are thinking the same way because we know that Isaiah 3 comes before 4, and it described miss cutiepie as such. Wouldn't you just love a project like that? Me thinks that looking to the Montgomery Wards catalogue for the perfect petunia is not the right place to look. Is a dirty whore so bad? Doesn't she need Jesus too? Or perhaps we want the promise of chapter 4 without the perils of chapter 3?

My thinking on this one is that it is possible to bring them to Christ and to provide conditional shelter for them without making them a wife initially. Kind of like the handmaiden in Exodus 21:10 that comes to the family from a position of destitution. Her willingness to submit unconditionally to the headship and leadership of the husband for an extended period of time without any promise but the possibility of becoming a wife in time and safety and compassion while she’s in the home would be the prerequisite for me even considering something like this.

Keep in mind, if you’re considering becoming her covering, you are accepting responsibility for her as is. Maybe Christ considers that more righteous than her sins punishment, and maybe not. Either way, I’d have to be completely willing to accept her punishment to consider her as wife material. For some women, that might be more than I’m willing to do, and thats not just factoring prostitutes. IMO, a woman who’s aborted her baby is in worse need of covering than a prostitute. How do you cover innocent blood?

My thinking on this one is that it is possible to bring them to Christ and to provide conditional shelter for them without making them a wife initially. Kind of like the handmaiden in Exodus 21:10 that comes to the family from a position of destitution. Her willingness to submit unconditionally to the headship and leadership of the husband for an extended period of time without any promise but the possibility of becoming a wife in time and safety and compassion while she’s in the home would be the prerequisite for me even considering something like this.

Keep in mind, if you’re considering becoming her covering, you are accepting responsibility for her as is. Maybe Christ considers that more righteous than her sins punishment, and maybe not. Either way, I’d have to be completely willing to accept her punishment to consider her as wife material. For some women, that might be more than I’m willing to do, and thats not just factoring prostitutes. IMO, a woman who’s aborted her baby is in worse need of covering than a prostitute. How do you cover innocent blood?
100%

Maybe Christ considers that more righteous than her sins punishment, and maybe not. Either way, I’d have to be completely willing to accept her punishment to consider her as wife material
He took me in when I was a wreck.... still workin' on me. Why should I be pickier than my Head?

I am intrigued to hear more about what you speak of. Though I'm not really sure what you mean by this accept her punishment thing.

Perhaps my next six wives will be stinky, balding, dishevelled, dirty, desperate, and a bit gross.

That's a trope in literature; several hundred years old if not far older. Men have a yearning to take that diamond in the rough and make her beautiful. To make an honest woman of her. Taming of the Screw. Pretty Woman. etc. At it's best, it is a living out of Eph 5 bringing her into sanctification. At it's worst, men go on Quixotic quests that result only in damage and destruction in their life and in the lives of innocent bystanders. That's another old tale: the Scorpion and the Frog.

Is a dirty whore so bad? Doesn't she need Jesus too? Or perhaps we want the promise of chapter 4 without the perils of chapter 3?

I feel that if 7 women approached me, I'd be a lot less picky in a number of ways than if it was 1 I was considering. How far that would go though I cannot say.

I know that God can work miracles. Heal the sick. Transform diseased limbs. Cure addiction in an instant. Set people free from the bondage of sin. Transform their nature and motives entirely. I've seen this happen in my life and others, in scripture and throughout church history. I came to that understanding before I was awoken to the realities of women and marriage in society today.

And much to my surprise and immense confusion and disappointment, I've seen none of that at work when it comes to women behaving badly; even among the best of Christians. Why, I do not know. I have only theories, and I don't like any of them.

The sad reality is there is a direct correlation between female promiscuity and chance of divorce; and it only takes a mere handful to balloon the probability of divorce to an almost certainty. Something about it seems to destroy her ability to pair bond. And I have no confidence it would be different for Christians given there is no spiritually significant difference in divorce rates between non-Christians and Christians. And unless you're Amish, spare me the no true Scotsman fallacy.

That said, there is a dramatic difference between our society today and one that is ruined and laid low as in Isaiah 3. The average woman would have to undergo a fair degree of mental change (and maybe genuine repentance?) that she wouldn't if she married a man, even as second wife, in order to come to the place where she'd partner with 6 other women to chase a 1 man on favorable terms to him in desperate plea to remove their own shame. Strong, independent, smart, empowered daughters of the most high God they are not.

Related...

6e1fc58cfaa6c533.jpg

He took me in when I was a wreck.... still workin' on me. Why should I be pickier than my Head?
Because of the implications for your existing wife and kids.

I actually agree with @Maddog, polygamy exists for the benefit of women more than men, and the women God has in mind for most of us will be ones who need a lot of love and work. However, the fact that most of us already have wives and children does give us many reasons to tread more cautiously than if we were single, or even married without kids. Doesn't mean God can't use us, doesn't mean we should say no. But it does mean we need to be careful how and when we go about this.

I believe Isaiah 3 and 4 are specific to the great tribulation. Just before it, the women of Zion are slutty and arrogant. During it, most men die, many women die, and the slutty arrogant women are cursed with half-baldness. Just after it, the men who survived it (probably more righteous than those that died in it) mercifully take in the women who have been greatly humbled and are desperate for restoration.

This simply hasn't happened yet. It is for the future. You'll have a hard time today finding someone who was slutty, got shamed with half-baldness, and is now humbled, repented, and desperate to be restored. If you find such a person, great. But if they are still in stage 1 or 2 then don't expect it to go as well as stage 3.

Not coming from the same point of view as the rest you y'all I see themina different light.
My first thought is that a fast lifehistory strategy individual has several points against them when it comes to relationship stability and investment in offspring. My second thought is a bit more personally focused. More to do with ideals. I know the passage is not about ideals as such but it puts me in that frame of mind. In large part because I am more than a little freaked out by whether it is literal or figurative.

Last edited:
Not coming from the same point of view as the rest you y'all I see themina different light.
My first thought is that a fast lifehistory strategy individual has several points against them when it comes to relationship stability and investment in offspring. My second thought is a bit more personally focused. More to do with ideals. I know the passage is not about ideals as such but it puts me in that frame of mind. In large part because I am more than a little freaked out by whether it is literal or figurative.
If you really want to be freaked out, look up the verses that say there really will be a zombie uprising. We've been raised in lala land. Life is about to get real again here on Earth.

As we await @Philip's response, the only things I'm aware of from Scripture are the many verses that refer to the dead rising from their graves in the wake of Yeshua's return to Earth: Isaiah 26:19; John 5:28; I Thessalonians 4:16; Revelation 20:13. However, none of this indicates zombie uprising but points to our glorified, imperishable bodies, as in 1 Corinthians 15:42–53.

I can't wait to find out about the zombies.

Me thinks that looking to the Montgomery Wards catalogue for the perfect petunia is not the right place to look. Is a dirty whore so bad? Doesn't she need Jesus too? Or perhaps we want the promise of chapter 4 without the perils of chapter 3?

One of the perils of monogamy-only is that it almost forces men to elevate the importance of physical attraction and moral perfection above all other considerations, including something you and others have pointed to, @Maddog : the fact that every woman needs a man to be her covering. Because we believe we're stuck with only one for the rest of our lives, if nothing else our carnal desires will lead us toward maximizing our level of arousal, and our spiritual desires will lead us toward maximizing our drive for purity (and just those two present enough of a dilemma), but, while Yah endows us with physical attraction, that doesn't mean it represents His only imperatives in the matter of marriage. We are also called to be available to cover all women who need it, and both the generally-considered-unattractive and the generally-considered-impure women, if anything, need that covering even more than the pretty virgins. I have since I first began to seriously consider polygamy (elementary school) believed that it is a failure to glean the whole message of Scripture to compound that insistence on beauty and purity by demanding it when one asserts one is available to be a man of more than one wife. Yah very clearly wants everyone to be loved, and Yeshua set this example over and over and over again.

The focus on questioning a woman's history, as such, should be less focused on the actual history itself and much more on whether she is ready to repent and be redeemed.

I am reminded of Yahweh referring to Israel as a baby thrown into the ditch and left for dead and He being the benevolent Father rescues her and takes her as His own.
Yes; I love that.

Each and every soul is important to our Father, even the dirty, disheveled, and diseased damsels. I think that I need to modify my "desirable" parameters.
I believe we all came to the knowledge of polygamy with a ideal of what we thought of as desirable parameters for addition wives.

As we grow in our understanding of biblical masculinity and patriarchy (even those born with beards) we reach a new understanding that what we find desirable isn't always what Elohim desires for us. Then some parts of the parameters loosen while other parts tighten.

The revelation you've had shows a step at truly seeking His will for your family over your will. I tip my hat sir.

The way I look at it is that I am choosing my future children’s mother... and that makes me very reticent about taking a woman with a checkered past. I will say with a complete lack of shame, I would prefer a virtuous virgin. Pretty virgins need a covering too... just sayin’

They definitely exist, my imagination is well populated with them.
The only problem is that the ones who aren't going to be snapped up by younger men for monogamous marriages were left behind with the unicorns when Noah's Ark pulled out.

Back