• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request My son's school

Our area of the world is pretty diverse. Hindus and Buddhists will send their kids to a private Christian school, sign the papers, pay the tuition, and keep their mouths shut. They value the private education and the "values" they teach.

Heck, even adulterous, near pagan folks send their kids to some pretty fundamentalist schools in our area. They just agree to not rock the boat because it's better than a gang infested, drugged our public school.

Why does it always have to be about winning a debate? If you've got the facts on your side, why pound the table all the time? Walk in calm assurance, nod your head and move on. Think of Teddy Roosevelt. Speak softly, but carry a big stick. If you just keep yapping on and on about it, people might be thinking you're still trying to convince yourself. Only a weak man has to keep telling people how strong he is.

May be unwise to discuss this publicly because staff at the school may be lurking...
That's a minute risk. BF is popular amongst the pro-poly crowd, but unheard of outside of the pro-poly movement.

Our area of the world is pretty diverse. Hindus and Buddhists will send their kids to a private Christian school, sign the papers, pay the tuition, and keep their mouths shut. They value the private education and the "values" they teach.

Heck, even adulterous, near pagan folks send their kids to some pretty fundamentalist schools in our area. They just agree to not rock the boat because it's better than a gang infested, drugged our public school.

Why does it always have to be about winning a debate? If you've got the facts on your side, why pound the table all the time? Walk in calm assurance, nod your head and move on. Think of Teddy Roosevelt. Speak softly, but carry a big stick. If you just keep yapping on and on about it, people might be thinking you're still trying to convince yourself. Only a weak man has to keep telling people how strong he is.

I am planning on "losing" the debate, temporarily, but I have to at least act like I am trying to win. I want them to think I am just somebody who doesn't understand what Scripture is saying. In the process, I know that I can plant a seed. If it turns out that they don't care as long as I am not trying to rock the boat, I am good with that.

You're basically conceding that the best you can hope for is to get the child to finish the semester, then you'll let rip with scriptural arguments and ensure the school completely cuts all ties with your family.
Pretty much. We weren't intending to put him in another year anyhow. This year cost $8,500, and we were only able to do that with my wife's income from her job, which she won't have next year. We are thinking of doing homeschool, now that he has the basics of reading and writing.

I think you're giving up too quickly and just assuming right now that you're going to have a debate and get kicked out, you're just hoping to delay the inevitable for a few months. That is a defeatist attitude. You can do better than that.

Set your sights on the goal of your children being permanently welcome at the school. If you fail, well you'll at least get them to the end of the semester. If your goal is only to get to the end of the semester though, failure will mean being kicked out today.

We don't even live in Round Rock any more, so if we ever decide to put him back in a Christian School, it would have to be one that is closer to where we live. We'll just test him into that school like we did with his older brother. I don't like the idea of having to sign an agreement that I will live by somebody else's idea of Biblical principles, so that may not even happen.

So what to do? I think you're way overcomplicating this, you're still trying to find a way of winning the debate. And I'll also admit that my initial advice ALSO overcomplicated it - and this is because I too suffer from the same desire you have to win, and try to find a method that will achieve the outcome I want. Others who have posted after me have simplified the advice considerably. Pay attention to the attitude and general intent, not so much the method.

Well, I am intentionally trying to "lose" the debate in order to diffuse the situation. I have had enough conversations with people on this topic, that I know that I could have easily done that with them, by not giving them the full measure of truth that I have come to know. These people are so predictable, it is not even funny.

You're still being far too adversarial. You're still intending to have a debate, you just intend to lose the debate. If you do that, you'll come across as a scriptural illiterate who intends to be polygamous regardless - that could look even worse than the truth. And that plan will likely fail anyway, as you can't lose - even if you tie one of your hands behind your back you'll win. But there's a good chance the debate is not going to go more than a couple of sentences anyway, there's not going to be enough time to win or lose. The very fact that you debate with them at all is the thing that will cause the breach between them and your family.

Well, I will hold off on marrying a second wife, until after I have an opportunity to respond, and I will most definitely respond, when they no longer have the opportunity to threaten my child with expulsion. As far as the debate is concerned, it won't have to go too far. I present my case, that Scripture mentions polygamy, they come back with their standard arguments. I'll simply shrug and say, "OK, fine", and then assure them that I don't want to do something if it is wrong. That can happen in less than 15 minutes. They will probably want to know why I would want to do this. I can then explain how it would be beneficial to us to have someone who could pick up my son from school, and how much it is costing us to keep him in after school child-care, and then say, "I guess I can't do that." I know these people will want to accommodate, and they weren't charging us for after school care when I was able to pick him up at 4:15, but now with my new job, I can't pick him up until around 6:00. That would be a nice way of getting them to provide childcare for free. Not saying that will happen, but when you are dealing with someone you know is going to be unreasonable and unfair, I don't feel like accepting that offer, which would certainly help us out financially, is something immoral.

Yes, I intend to pretend to be somewhat Scripturally illiterate, only for the time being, but of course, if I do not come back later, and point out that they are wrong, and then I do go ahead and get a second wife, that would look worse than the truth. That is why I will have no choice but to let rip with scriptural arguments. I won't likely be in position to marry anyone until after the school year is finished, anyway.

However, given that you personally have raised this question with them, it's going to be rather difficult to turn around and claim that this issue isn't important to you. So this is going to be much harder for you than if they'd raised the issue themselves. You will need to consider precisely what you have said to them in order to work out what defusing path is still open to you.
Yeah, I would have a hard time claiming that this issue isn't important to me, even if I hadn't said anything to them, because I know that would not be honest. I don't think allowing them to win an argument where they hold all the cards, is going to be all that difficult. I never met anyone who objected to polygamy, who didn't at least attempt to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Our children attended a Christian school. In order to attend we “had” to attend church.
Long story we ended up leaving church but not the school.

A year or two on and a friend in a similar situation felt they needed to tell the school principal that they no longer qualified as they had no intention of attending church.
The principal thanked her for being so honest and said basically “I won’t tell if you don’t tell”
We all continued as normal...
They don’t care as long as you don’t rock the boat.
It most likely helped that we supported the school with helping with sports coaching, sponsorship and a bunch of other things. We just got on with doing what we thought was right for all the children in the school.

“pearls before swine” comes to mind
At some point you will come to realise Not everyone is capable of those conversations.
We know this because “ they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces“

It is refreshing to find someone who knows what they believe and lives it. Without the need to bang on about it every time they see you. Let the fruit of your life be your witness.
That would be nice. I am certainly willing to entertain the idea that if needed, I can still allow my son to attend that school, or transfer to another Christian school. It's run out of a nice Baptist church as well, and I have considered that church as a nice possibility, in the event that I were to get kicked out of my current Baptist church, where we have been seeing a bit of drama as well, recently.

It sounds a little too important to you.
Well the suggestion that I claim that it isn't important, is what is being discussed, not how important I think it is.

So you raised this issue with the school yourself, while talking about putting your next child into that school?

Why would you even bring up that topic? It's completely irrelevant to your children's education, and surely you knew that any such inquiry would result in some sort of mess, it couldn't achieve anything positive. Don't do that sort of thing, that's just silly.

Proverbs 12:23: "A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness."
I wouldn't have said anything, but there is a part on the agreement upon enrollment, that we have to sign to acknowledge that we are going to follow Biblical principles. When I asked about it, the lady in the Business office wasn't aware of exactly what that entailed. I sought clarification, but I didn't follow up on it until later in the school year. They told me that I needed to talk to this Administrator, and I never got around to that, due to time constraints. Well, tomorrow is our chance to meet with her. We just ask for your prayers. I like some of the advice and most definitely appreciate your efforts to help, but the most important thing right now is prayer.

Thank you all for your prayers. The administrator sat down with us and gave us the background, how she came to learn where we are with this. Then she asked if I was currently in a polygamous relationship, and I said "no", and she asked if I was planning to be in one before the school year was over, and I said, "no", and that was pretty much it. She asked if I had talked with a pastor about this, and I told her her that I had. Everything is good, as long as I wait until the end of the school year to pursue this. :) #WinWinForAll

I am coming in on the tail end of this discussion a day late and a dollar short. However, I am confused as to why you would even be bringing up the topic of polygyny to a child, when you and your wife are praying on the matter? Edit: I am posting here with my husbands' permission

We are reading through the Bible. We started with Genesis. We are now in I Chronicles. You can't get past chapter 4 of Genesis without encountering it. I think initially, it was a Chuck Swindoll comment made in a radio promo for IFL, where he told some joke about polygamy, and I verbally objected while my son was riding in the back seat. My teenager is opposed to polygamy, so I guess it is a good thing to catch the little one while he is still young.

Last edited:
We are reading through the Bible. We started with Genesis. We are now in I Chronicles. You can't get past chapter 4 of Genesis without encountering it. I think initially, it was a Chuck Swindoll comment made in a radio promo for IFL, where he told some joke about polygamy, and I verbally objected while my son was riding in the back seat. My teenager is opposed to polygamy, so I guess it is a good thing to catch the little one while he is still young.
My son is also personally opposed to polygamy. I have told him that while the Word permits it, it is not compulsory. It is not even compulsory to marry for that matter. If he wants to live in monogamous marriage, we are ok with that.

However, I am confused as to why you would even be bringing up the topic of polygyny to a child,
To avoid this:
My son is also personally opposed to polygamy.
The saddest situation is when a man takes a second wife, and his children disassociate themselves with both parents because of this 'sin'. This is the worst form of family breakup and is terribly painful. Unfortunately several people here have experienced it. That's what happens when you did such a good job of teaching your children the wrong thing, that when you change your mind they're unwilling to change theirs too.

For those of us with young children it is absolutely critical to teach them correctly the first time around - and more importantly than polygamy, teach them to prioritise love over theological detail.

But there's no need to preach this at kids. Scripture is full of polygamists, it's obvious to a child that polygamy is ok to God. The idea it is wrong is something extra that is taught to explain away what at first was obvious. So just don't teach the extra monogomy bit, let them keep believing scripture exactly as written, including God accepting the patriarchs and their wives. It's really not a big deal - if you're starting correctly, not having to unteach falsehoods.

To avoid this:

The saddest situation is when a man takes a second wife, and his children disassociate themselves with both parents because of this 'sin'. This is the worst form of family breakup and is terribly painful. Unfortunately, several people here have experienced it. That's what happens when you did such a good job of teaching your children the wrong thing, that when you change your mind they're unwilling to change theirs too.

For those of us with young children it is absolutely critical to teach them correctly the first time around - and more importantly than polygamy, teach them to prioritise love over theological detail.

But there's no need to preach this at kids. Scripture is full of polygamists, it's obvious to a child that polygamy is ok to God. The idea it is wrong is something extra that is taught to explain away what at first was obvious. So just don't teach the extra monogomy bit, let them keep believing scripture exactly as written, including God accepting the patriarchs and their wives. It's really not a big deal - if you're starting correctly, not having to unteach falsehoods.

I did not become a believer until my son was 10. His father is not a believer and sadly neither is my son. I believe that many here are operating on the premise that all have been believers for our children's entire lives. I do my best to teach my son the Word and pray for his salvation. My son believes what the culture and mainstream church teach, that monogamy is the only acceptable form of marriage. I too believed this until 2 years ago. He has been reading the Bible on his own recently and will either accept the Word or will reject it. I cannot force him to accept polygyny, all I can do is teach him what the Word says in its entirety about the topic of marriage. That includes teaching that singleness is an option, as well as monogamy and polygyny regarding marriage. The Bible allows all three options for believers. Polygyny is not a requirement, but an allowance. To be honest I am not impressed with the majority of men I have encountered seeking or advocating for polygyny. Some have a downright entitlement attitude on the topic, when in reality none of us are entitled to anything except for what God wills for us.

I believe that many here are operating on the premise that all have been believers for our children's entire lives.
No, certainly not. I think you are assuming people are thinking the worst, and then emotionally reacting to what you think people are thinking...

I certainly do not assume everyone is in the situation of knowing this all their lives, being Christians all their lives, and able to influence their children right from day 1. Completely the opposite in fact - almost all of us have only come to understand polygamy later in life, and many have come to Christ later in life also. Many people here have older (teenage and adult) children. Some of those children are not believers, many reject polygamy. This is very common.

However, you asked why would anyone discuss this with a child. The answer is, very simply, to avoid this situation developing. Because once your child reaches the age of about 8, they will be settled in their basic viewpoints. The younger a child is, the more teachable they are.

Those of us who still have young children look at the example of those who did not have the opportunity to teach them this at a younger age, and determine to use the opportunity we still have. We do not assume everyone is the same. Rather, we learn from the example of those whose situation is different.

But that is not a judgement of those who are in a different situation. We all deal with life from the point we find ourselves today. It's just the answer to your question.

No, certainly not. I think you are assuming people are thinking the worst, and then emotionally reacting to what you think people are thinking...

I certainly do not assume everyone is in the situation of knowing this all their lives, being Christians all their lives, and able to influence their children right from day 1. Completely the opposite in fact - almost all of us have only come to understand polygamy later in life, and many have come to Christ later in life also. Many people here have older (teenage and adult) children. Some of those children are not believers, many reject polygamy. This is very common.

However, you asked why would anyone discuss this with a child. The answer is, very simply, to avoid this situation developing. Because once your child reaches the age of about 8, they will be settled in their basic viewpoints. The younger a child is, the more teachable they are.

Those of us who still have young children look at the example of those who did not have the opportunity to teach them this at a younger age, and determine to use the opportunity we still have. We do not assume everyone is the same. Rather, we learn from the example of those whose situation is different.

But that is not a judgement of those who are in a different situation. We all deal with life from the point we find ourselves today. It's just the answer to your question.
To which I would add:
When you child reaches whatever age that you decide that they can handle the truth, what will they believe about your allowing them to believe the lie all of this time.
Presumably this will be sometime later than when they find out that Santa and the tooth fairy were fake. Unless you have been telling them the truth all along. Novel concept that.

Perhaps I should clarify myself more. I think there is a difference between teaching what the Word says on the topic and discussing bringing in another wife into the family with children. At least discussing when both spouses are not on board with the topic and it is a subject of marital contention. I just do not think that bringing in another wife should be discussed with young children until both spouses are in agreement and are certain this is what God is calling them too. If there is contention on the topic between spouses, we should not bring our children into it or any other contentious issue. Having read the OPs past post, it seems that his wife has not been on board with it until recently ( correct me if I am wrong). And the impression given is that this is something he has been pressing his wife for.

Fighting about the concept of poly in front of, or Heaven forbid, through, the child, is of course wrong.
Discussion of a biblical concept that the parents don’t see in quite the same way can be healthy in some cases.

Back