• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New book -Monogamy Lie

WifeOfHisYouth

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
I'm barely into the introduction and, off the bat, two things pop out:
  1. Organization. Probably should have had someone proofread prior to publication. There's a fairly consistent two-step of going forward and then cautioning. It comes off as a bad magic act. Wait till you see what comes next; a bunny! Ready for the next big one, *sneeze*, flowers!
  2. Unverifiable quotes. I don't know if this is the true definition of irony but it's close enough for me. It reads, "Quote a scripture that people don't like, and even Christians will hate you." - Joe B. Problem here is any search for "Joe B." will get you information on clothing, a musician, a coaching award or an actor. Will the really Joe B. please stand up. Searching for the actual quote itself shows results ranging from Bible verses about hate, to things non-christians are tired of hearing, and a list "shocking" C.S. Lewis quotes.
I can deal with the two-step, but if anyone knows who this Joe B. is, I'd like to follow that up...

Maybe he is Joe B. Lol

I saw Maurice Nelson promoting it on Facebook. I am curious of what you think of the book.

You are noticing the hazards of self publishing. Not many authors can pull it off without an editor.
Second that. We have been reading and typing legal papers. Proofreading is super important, and mistakes happen even in deputy reports.

(I do not know if I should start a new thread to post a review of this, or use this thread since it is already here. Also apparently it has been updated and re-released as "The Biblical Case for Polygamy").

Finally! (Dreamy Sigh)

"Women cry out: "where are all the real men?" The real men have been forced to deny their nature and have become goddess serving monogamists." (p. 157)​

I think this book's title lays out quite plainly what it is. The author is a Christian, and some form of lawyer, who has laid out a case against the contemporary notion that God intended for marriage to be one-man-one-woman. Much of it was not new. My Husband has already explained much of this to me. What I wasn't expecting was to find Biblical evidence that God (and yes, that's OUR Judeo-Christian God, singular, with a capital "G," as in the Monotheistic God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; not "Allah" but our very Jehovah) not only tolerates polygyny but that monogamy is actually an affront to Him!
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's dive in, shall we?

Goes Straight For the Jugular

"From My Studies, I have found that God never prohibited polygyny. The Catholic Church, however, did!" (Page 2)

The book doesn't take long getting to its titular point. The thesis is laid out early on, with some disclaimers and warnings to read the book prayerfully (as any book regarding Religious belief should be read). But after luring the reader in with this intriguing-but-not-altogether-scandalous tidbit, the author drops 10 megatons of "everything you thought you knew is wrong" on pages 18 and 19 by calling this prohibition on polygyny the second-greatest deception in the history of Humanity, putting it on almost-equal footing with Original Sin, and further asserting that both Monogamy and Modern Feminism are rooted in Pagan cultures that practiced Goddess-worship.
To show that God allows polygyny is one thing, but to state that He monogamy is from the same Pagan roots that are typically associated with Satan (thereby calling the reader to question whether God approves of monogamy), is bold indeed. And yet, the author insists that he will prove this citing Biblical evidence! Admittedly, this "proof" of the second, stronger point is a bit long in coming, appearing on page 142 of a 159 page book, but it is well worth the journey there.

Needs More New Testament Examples

One of the biggest arguments used by Churchians (as opposed to Christians) to insist polygyny is a sin is the statement that it was tolerated in the Old Testament but Jesus changed things in the New Testament, and the author admits he is aware of this argument against his thesis (p. 124). However, being aware that this argument exists, the author should offer more of a defense against it.
He does eventually get around to citing New Testament examples of polygyny, even referring to several times when Jesus Himself casually declares Himself a polygynist (p. 113 - 120), and he does make note of a point I already asserted in my earlier article that Paul's admonitions against multiple wives were not because of any proscription from God but rather from the need to NOT draw any negative attention from the monotheistic Romans who needed little motivation to crack down on the fledgling Church (p. 145, 147-8, 150). But considering the centrality of this defense to the Biblical validity of his main idea, the book should have emphasized it a bit more.

Brings Back the Fiery Point, With Gusto!

The biggest gauntlet the book throws down in front of contemporary Churchianity, mentioned above, is the assertion that Monogamy is not only unnecessary in God's sight but is actually an affront to Him, originating as it does from Pagan Goddess-worship. The author makes this point early on, lets you almost forget about it, and then hits the reader in the back of the head with it near the end of the book.

"Nothing in the Bible alludes to the fact that His followers were 'monogamists.' But history does show a group of people, in Jesus' time, that WERE monogamists. It was, in fact, the Greek and Roman rules against polygamy that spread (along with the Grecian and Roman Empires) and became the culture...It was these two huge historical forces that established monogamy in our society--not something born of God but something born of pagan societies... Keep in mind they worshipped a pantheon of "other gods [and goddesses]." ...By following pagan societies, their customs slowly creep into our way of life. This is the same thing as God warning Solomon not to marry women from foreign countries because they would turn their hearts away from God.
-P. 142

Admit it, Ladies: We Like it Too

I won't spoil it for you but the author points out an elephant in the room at the end (p. 156 and 157) that absolutely made my toes curl and made me thankful to belong to the Man I belong to. To any woman reading this, all I can say is "quit pouting and read through, because at the end you'll see that it's better for us this way too."

God calls Men to be REAL Men.
And a real man won't allow Himself to be tamed and confined to one woman.

David didn't.
Solomon didn't.

Isn't it time for us to stop expecting Men to be poodles and let Them be Men? The way God intended?

I encourage every woman in the Church to read this book, and get your Husband to read it too.

(I do not know if I should start a new thread to post a review of this, or use this thread since it is already here. Also apparently it has been updated and re-released as "The Biblical Case for Polygamy").

Finally! (Dreamy Sigh)

"Women cry out: "where are all the real men?" The real men have been forced to deny their nature and have become goddess serving monogamists." (p. 157)​

I think this book's title lays out quite plainly what it is. The author is a Christian, and some form of lawyer, who has laid out a case against the contemporary notion that God intended for marriage to be one-man-one-woman. Much of it was not new. My Husband has already explained much of this to me. What I wasn't expecting was to find Biblical evidence that God (and yes, that's OUR Judeo-Christian God, singular, with a capital "G," as in the Monotheistic God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; not "Allah" but our very Jehovah) not only tolerates polygyny but that monogamy is actually an affront to Him!
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's dive in, shall we?

Goes Straight For the Jugular

"From My Studies, I have found that God never prohibited polygyny. The Catholic Church, however, did!" (Page 2)

The book doesn't take long getting to its titular point. The thesis is laid out early on, with some disclaimers and warnings to read the book prayerfully (as any book regarding Religious belief should be read). But after luring the reader in with this intriguing-but-not-altogether-scandalous tidbit, the author drops 10 megatons of "everything you thought you knew is wrong" on pages 18 and 19 by calling this prohibition on polygyny the second-greatest deception in the history of Humanity, putting it on almost-equal footing with Original Sin, and further asserting that both Monogamy and Modern Feminism are rooted in Pagan cultures that practiced Goddess-worship.
To show that God allows polygyny is one thing, but to state that He monogamy is from the same Pagan roots that are typically associated with Satan (thereby calling the reader to question whether God approves of monogamy), is bold indeed. And yet, the author insists that he will prove this citing Biblical evidence! Admittedly, this "proof" of the second, stronger point is a bit long in coming, appearing on page 142 of a 159 page book, but it is well worth the journey there.

Needs More New Testament Examples

One of the biggest arguments used by Churchians (as opposed to Christians) to insist polygyny is a sin is the statement that it was tolerated in the Old Testament but Jesus changed things in the New Testament, and the author admits he is aware of this argument against his thesis (p. 124). However, being aware that this argument exists, the author should offer more of a defense against it.
He does eventually get around to citing New Testament examples of polygyny, even referring to several times when Jesus Himself casually declares Himself a polygynist (p. 113 - 120), and he does make note of a point I already asserted in my earlier article that Paul's admonitions against multiple wives were not because of any proscription from God but rather from the need to NOT draw any negative attention from the monotheistic Romans who needed little motivation to crack down on the fledgling Church (p. 145, 147-8, 150). But considering the centrality of this defense to the Biblical validity of his main idea, the book should have emphasized it a bit more.

Brings Back the Fiery Point, With Gusto!

The biggest gauntlet the book throws down in front of contemporary Churchianity, mentioned above, is the assertion that Monogamy is not only unnecessary in God's sight but is actually an affront to Him, originating as it does from Pagan Goddess-worship. The author makes this point early on, lets you almost forget about it, and then hits the reader in the back of the head with it near the end of the book.

"Nothing in the Bible alludes to the fact that His followers were 'monogamists.' But history does show a group of people, in Jesus' time, that WERE monogamists. It was, in fact, the Greek and Roman rules against polygamy that spread (along with the Grecian and Roman Empires) and became the culture...It was these two huge historical forces that established monogamy in our society--not something born of God but something born of pagan societies... Keep in mind they worshipped a pantheon of "other gods [and goddesses]." ...By following pagan societies, their customs slowly creep into our way of life. This is the same thing as God warning Solomon not to marry women from foreign countries because they would turn their hearts away from God.
-P. 142

Admit it, Ladies: We Like it Too

I won't spoil it for you but the author points out an elephant in the room at the end (p. 156 and 157) that absolutely made my toes curl and made me thankful to belong to the Man I belong to. To any woman reading this, all I can say is "quit pouting and read through, because at the end you'll see that it's better for us this way too."

God calls Men to be REAL Men.
And a real man won't allow Himself to be tamed and confined to one woman.

David didn't.
Solomon didn't.

Isn't it time for us to stop expecting Men to be poodles and let Them be Men? The way God intended?

I encourage every woman in the Church to read this book, and get your Husband to read it too.
Thank you! I enjoyed reading your review. Cheers

Back