• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New Book: Polygamy, Divorce, & Remarriage

I would make this book free if Amazon would let me (without getting special permission from them). The Kindle version is only a dollar, and you can download a free Kindle app to your computer or mobile device to read it. Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYSLC38
I assume you must be either Wayne ODonnell or associated with Wayne ODonnell. Either way, @ABrother, I just went and purchased a paperback copy. I'll read and review.

Are you familiar with William Luck's Divorce and Remarriage or his other works about polygamy?

I assume you must be either Wayne ODonnell or associated with Wayne ODonnell. Either way, @ABrother, I just went and purchased a paperback copy. I'll read and review.

Are you familiar with William Luck's Divorce and Remarriage or his other works about polygamy?

Hi Keith. Thanks for reading and reviewing my book. Yes, I'm Wayne. I'll look into changing my profile here so that shows up. I had read Luck's Divorce and Remarriage book as part of my prep for writing my book. I greatly respect William because, as I quote him in my book, he was looking for proof texts on adultery, I think it was, and ended up changing his views on polygamy. I love a person who is open to letting the Bible change their views. I didn't realize he had other books, like The Biblical Case Against Polygyny and a Biblical Response. I just bought it. Also, I'll try to find some contact information and send him a copy of my book, Precious Ointment. My book on Polygamy, Divorce, and Remarriage is actually just a chapter I took out of my Precious Ointment book. Thanks for letting me know about Luck's other books.

Just bought a copy!

How did you first come to learn about the truth of polygamy?

Hmm. Thanks for asking. I remember it was right before I attended the Biblical Families retreat in 2013 in Idaho. I think I was researching the meaning of Jesus’ teachings on divorce and remarriage. It might have been William Luck’s teaching on the definition of divorce that finalized my certainty the Bible permits polygyny. In Ephesians, about superior/inferior relationships, in position and role, not value, an employer can have multiple employees, a father or mother can have multiple children, a king can have multiple subjects, and it makes sense a husband can have multiple wives, though the husband’s job is not to “Husbands, make your wife submit;” but the husbands job is to “Husbands, love your wife,” graciously and self sacrificially. How did you come to learn about the truth of polygamy?

Reading a copy now. Have encountered a few new/interesting thoughts.

May have to check out Precious Ointment and Luck's Biblical Case....

Just got my copy.

Love this on the back cover "Modern egalitarian Bible teachers will bear the responsibility for the harm they do by letting their culture determine their interpretation of the Bible, instead of letting the Bible determine their evaluation of their culture." Bingo. Moderns seem to put the cart before the horse. For some reason they view culture (and modern values) as immutable (even though any kind of study of history will show this to be false) and somehow Biblical interpretation as flexible.

This statement on the back cover concerns me, "...though usually divorcing husband bears the guilt." In view of the fact that by far most modern marriages are blown up by the wife instead of the husband, this seems suspect, but the back cover does not explain the comment, so I will reserve judgement until I read the book to understand what the author means.

136 pages of large text so looks like an easy read.

Just got my copy.

Love this on the back cover "Modern egalitarian Bible teachers will bear the responsibility for the harm they do by letting their culture determine their interpretation of the Bible, instead of letting the Bible determine their evaluation of their culture." Bingo. Moderns seem to put the cart before the horse. For some reason they view culture (and modern values) as immutable (even though any kind of study of history will show this to be false) and somehow Biblical interpretation as flexible.

This statement on the back cover concerns me, "...though usually divorcing husband bears the guilt." In view of the fact that by far most modern marriages are blown up by the wife instead of the husband, this seems suspect, but the back cover does not explain the comment, so I will reserve judgement until I read the book to understand what the author means.

I think it's more likely the husband fails to meet the standard of loving his wife as Messiah loved the church, because that's an extremely high standard, but I appreciate and look forward to further review after you've read more. Thanks for reviewing!

I think it's more likely the husband fails to meet the standard of loving his wife as Messiah loved the church, because that's an extremely high standard, ...

The whole point of marriage is that both partners are going to fail to meet the high standard they are appointed to. That is where love comes in.

Looking forward to reading the book.

Have read it and posted a review on Amazon. Good book. I need to reread and play with the charts to better understand them. I did really appreciate @ABrother 's detailed look at each NT passage related to divorce with comprehensive comapre/contrast and phrase by phrase exposition of relevant parts.

The idea that the divorcing husband bears the guilt in many cases was a new thought, but has merit when one considers the cultural MO vice and church stranglehold on truth. The wife may initiate, but too often the man forced her hand.. will be fun to see what @ZecAustin does with this after he reads the book... he may have a coronary.... lol.

Have read it and posted a review on Amazon. Good book. I need to reread and play with the charts to better understand them. I did really appreciate @ABrother 's detailed look at each NT passage related to divorce with comprehensive comapre/contrast and phrase by phrase exposition of relevant parts.

The idea that the divorcing husband bears the guilt in many cases was a new thought, but has merit when one considers the cultural MO vice and church stranglehold on truth. The wife may initiate, but too often the man forced her hand.. will be fun to see what @ZecAustin does with this after he reads the book... he may have a coronary.... lol.
Lol, uh oh. I will have to find a copy. A wife initiating a Biblical divorce is an exotic concept and it will be interesting if @ABrother has brought anything new to the debate or if it’s the same old watered down Dobson feminism lite.

Lol, uh oh. I will have to find a copy. A wife initiating a Biblical divorce is an exotic concept and it will be interesting if @ABrother has brought anything new to the debate or if it’s the same old watered down Dobson feminism lite.

When you do, please do post a quote. Would be interesting.

Thanks so much for the review on Amazon, Pete; my first on any of my books I think! Thanks for seeing the value in the book, and overlooking the many shortcomings I'm sure it has. Your review was edifying in itself, in promoting the message of biblical doctrine, rather than mere traditional and culturally-determined doctrine.

I would make this book free if Amazon would let me (without getting special permission from them). The Kindle version is only a dollar, and you can download a free Kindle app to your computer or mobile device to read it. Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYSLC38
This looks interesting and, more importantly, informative. Is there a paperback edition anywhere? I know I'm a dinosaur but I like having a printed copy that I can make notes in for cross-references to the rest of my bookshelf.

Back