• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New thread types - are they useful?

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
With Xenforo 2.2, there are new thread types available, which are designed to make the platform far more customisable for different uses. We can now (if I permit it in specific forums) post:

Long-form articles​

With comments on them that work the same as usual forum posts.

Questions​

These function like StackExchange if you've used it before. They're really designed for IT support. Basically, every response to the question can be voted up or down by other readers, and the original poster can choose one answer that is the "solution". For instance, someone can post "how do I save a document from Word", and get a range of answers of varying usefulness - say "press ctrl-S", "use the menus", "google it yourself", "don't bother, it's automatic". Other readers will vote these up and down, to help guide the original poster to the right answer. And once it's solved, the original poster can pick the right solution that worked. That solution will jump to the top of the page, so a future reader will see this as the solution without having to read through the whole thread.

Suggestions

This allows people to vote for the thread itself, not the comments on it. It's intended for a dedicated forum, say feature requests. People will make suggestions, others will vote for them, and the most wanted suggestions can float to the top for implementation.

I don't think suggestions are very relevant for us (except for the website itself), but articles certainly are, and questions MIGHT be - though I am skeptical whether this format is relevant to marriage issues, I don't think there is ever one "solution" with the sort of issues we are dealing with here. But they are available.

Although articles and questions can be just scattered in amongst other thread types, they are most functional when you have a subforum completely devoted to one or the other, because there are features designed to make them display better in those settings.

These are explained in more detail at this link, and in the below video:

So, let's test them out. In this specific subforum, I have enabled "Articles" and "Questions". And this thread is a "Question". Feel free to make a new thread or two of your own here to test it.

My questions are:
  • Are articles useful?
  • Are questions useful?
  • If so, where and how would you like to use them?

First answer to consider - they're both completely useless, let's disable them and forget they exist.
Feel free to vote for or against this answer!

My reply was a joke to demonstrate negative votes. I certainly do want to "give them a chance". But where? Dedicated locations work way better than in a general forum, as the video explains. I am looking for practical suggestions as to how these could be useful and where on the forum they could be located.

Back