• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

No such thing as wives.

Slumberfreeze

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
So I think on and off about how there is no dedicated word in the bible for "husband" or "wife" but the word is always "man" or "woman". I know it has to mean something, because it's that way in Hebrew and in Greek. I usually settle with "I guess the people just had to use their context cues about whether or not the woman that they were talking about was a wife or not... since they don't have a flippin' word for it"

Last night I saw it from a different angle though. I've been thinking of it all this time from an english perspective, as though the english language were the proper and precise way to describe a thing. Anyways, my thought was, they do have a word for wife, it's isha (or gunaika). Which is to say, a woman doesn't become a wife when she's married. She simply is a wife from birth. (I call to mind Gen 24:5) In like vein a male is simply born a husband.

Like a pizza is a pizza whether it's been sold or not: but the purpose of the pizza was to be delivered and eaten whether or not it's ever purchased.

Which I think follows from the "be fruitful and multiply" commandment. It works its way into the culture, with that understanding being cemented by the language. Jephthah's daughter mourned her virginity when she found she must die. Presumably she didn't want to die, but it was her virginity she mourned, because she was a wife that had never been given to a husband.

I think modernity has given rise to attitudes enforced by our own language, in which marriage is something we might do, if we really want; instead of a more proper understanding: That marriage is our identity and our purpose from birth. We are husbands and wives all, by nature and design.*

*Eunuchs and saints with advanced self-control notwithstanding

Wow, nice thought @Slumberfreeze . That further reinforces why sleeping around is wrong. It is violating our purpose and misusing our body that, according to Paul belongs to our spouse, even if we do not yet know who that is. Love it.

In Dutch we also don't use different words for woman or wife, and man or husband. It doesn't exist... We only know the words "vrouw" for a female and "man" for a male. So, I am a "man", but I am as wel @1stWife@Home's "man", and she is a "vrouw", but also my "vrouw". We use context to determine in what sense the word is meant to be.

@Phillip Hebrew is not my strong suit, to be sure! If it were only the hebrew I would give it a pass. All that rhyming and double/hidden meaning stuff makes my brain ache. Greek however is much more precise (to my western mind, anyways) so it has always irritated me that they didn't have a husband or wife.

@Man@Home Rad! I wonder if at the end of the day english is in the minority of languages that dedicate words for "wife" or "husband" and everyone else doesn't see any point to it?

Spanish, another major language differentiates...

@Phillip Hebrew is not my strong suit, to be sure! If it were only the hebrew I would give it a pass. All that rhyming and double/hidden meaning stuff makes my brain ache. Greek however is much more precise (to my western mind, anyways) so it has always irritated me that they didn't have a husband or wife.

@Man@Home Rad! I wonder if at the end of the day english is in the minority of languages that dedicate words for "wife" or "husband" and everyone else doesn't see any point to it?
Either way, I think your point about it being our born identity is spot on!

That marriage is our identity and our purpose from birth. We are husbands and wives all, by nature and design.

This is an excellent callback to Gen 2:18.

Also marriage didn't make you a different person, it was just that authority moved from father to husband.

But I've always just thought of it like a primitive language thing. As English has developed it has gathered terms for more and more specificity. It has also acquired duplicate words for the very same thing with no difference except maybe the feeling (and those connotations are accidents of history). This has to do with the history of the development of our language.

For example, we have a domesticated animal that goes by the names: Sus scrofa domesticus, swine, pig, and hog. They all mean the exact same thing. Of those swine has a negative connotation, pig generic, and hog a different connotation I can't even put into words (tough?) and s.s. domesticus is a scientific term in Latin because that was the international language of science 400 years ago (more history yet there too). And then we have names for subclasses of pig like borrow, gilt, weaner, suckling, and another I can't recall.

This is an excellent callback to Gen 2:18.

Also marriage didn't make you a different person, it was just that authority moved from father to husband.

But I've always just thought of it like a primitive language thing. As English has developed it has gathered terms for more and more specificity. It has also acquired duplicate words for the very same thing with no difference except maybe the feeling (and those connotations are accidents of history). This has to do with the history of the development of our language.

For example, we have a domesticated animal that goes by the names: Sus scrofa domesticus, swine, pig, and hog. They all mean the exact same thing. Of those swine has a negative connotation, pig generic, and hog a different connotation I can't even put into words (tough?) and s.s. domesticus is a scientific term in Latin because that was the international language of science 400 years ago (more history yet there too). And then we have names for subclasses of pig like borrow, gilt, weaner, suckling, and another I can't recall.
Yeah.. unlike 'romance' languages, English is a decidedly 'technical' language. This has positives and negatives. One negative is trying to apply our need for specificity to a much less definition specific language that God thought adequate enough to convey the most important message in all of history....

The English word 'wife' used to just mean 'woman' too, that's where the word midwife comes from.
In Dutch we know the word "wijf" as well, pronounced the same as 'your' word wife. However, it has mostly a more negative meaning, f.e. a scolding vixen (hope this makes sense as I used a translator), but there are as well some dialects that use that word for wife in a more normal sense.

In Dutch we know the word "wijf" as well, pronounced the same as 'your' word wife. However, it has mostly a more negative meaning, f.e. a scolding vixen (hope this makes sense as I used a translator), but there are as well some dialects that use that word for wife in a more normal sense.
We have a word for “scolding vixen” in English. It’s also the technical term for a female dog.

So I think on and off about how there is no dedicated word in the bible for "husband" or "wife" but the word is always "man" or "woman". I know it has to mean something, because it's that way in Hebrew and in Greek. I usually settle with "I guess the people just had to use their context cues about whether or not the woman that they were talking about was a wife or not... since they don't have a flippin' word for it"

Last night I saw it from a different angle though. I've been thinking of it all this time from an english perspective, as though the english language were the proper and precise way to describe a thing. Anyways, my thought was, they do have a word for wife, it's isha (or gunaika). Which is to say, a woman doesn't become a wife when she's married. She simply is a wife from birth. (I call to mind Gen 24:5) In like vein a male is simply born a husband.

Like a pizza is a pizza whether it's been sold or not: but the purpose of the pizza was to be delivered and eaten whether or not it's ever purchased.

Which I think follows from the "be fruitful and multiply" commandment. It works its way into the culture, with that understanding being cemented by the language. Jephthah's daughter mourned her virginity when she found she must die. Presumably she didn't want to die, but it was her virginity she mourned, because she was a wife that had never been given to a husband.

I think modernity has given rise to attitudes enforced by our own language, in which marriage is something we might do, if we really want; instead of a more proper understanding: That marriage is our identity and our purpose from birth. We are husbands and wives all, by nature and design.*

*Eunuchs and saints with advanced self-control notwithstanding

I have been puzzling over this quite a bit recently not really able to put my finger on it... I thank you for starting this thread. And I definitely think you’re on to something here...

So, just to be clear, if I were to say 'this is my wife' a Dutch person will hear 'this is my bitch'? That's truly hilarious, especially because that phrase would be said by a certain class of English speakers anyway when referring to their woman. Especially when referring to a mistress...

So, just to be clear, if I were to say 'this is my wife' a Dutch person will hear 'this is my bitch'? That's truly hilarious, especially because that phrase would be said by a certain class of English speakers anyway when referring to their woman. Especially when referring to a mistress...
I’m picturing you saying this in a kiwi accent, and it’s hilarious!

Vixen in English has two connotations: 1. a scold and 2. a sexy woman. Although #2 probably had in the past a negative connotation, I think that has been mostly lost.

I learned this as it's also the technical term for a female fox and I thought of being cute by calling my wife that here (given my avatar). But I decided against it.

Nice, @Slumberfreeze!
Add in the understanding that Eve was part of Adam before she was taken out of him to the idea that he is born to be a husband and she born to be a wife.
Neither are complete by themselves. They are only whole when they recombine as one.

So does this bring up the idea of 'soulmates'? Since every man is a husband and every woman a wife, there must be a connection between the two.

Back