• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Non-Biblical nature of the term "sister-wife"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it when you all decide to show your wisdom at the same time. And as for getting off topic, show me a thread of more than 10 posts that hasn't gotten off topic. That is part of the reason for certain misunderstandings that have happened on this board. People go to the end of the thread, read the last few posts and post in a completely different direction, having never read the beginning. It is all good and it is how natural conversation happens in real life. Sometimes we get onto some wonderful and interesting topics and we all learn something new or come away with some fresh understanding. That is probably how most of us got to the understanding of plural-marriage. We were talking one day and the subject came up and we got curious and had to go see for ourselves. Isn't life fun and isn't God wonderful.

Since T's sister is no longer walking on the earth and my sisters would rather spit on me than spend time with my husband, it is not likely that hubby will ever "uncover the nakedness" of our sisters. We are sisters in Christ. We are both the wife of the same man. I personally like the word Zarah, but I don't like what it means, darn it. And until a better term comes along, SW seems to work.

One thing B & B if you have a better suggestion for a name for us SW type people, please feel free to throw it out there. We might just learn something from you too.

SweetLissa

sadanyagci said:
Cecil said that if God meant something so simple, He would not have put the qualifier in there to begin with. This applies to any language. You can't just throw that reasoning out as not applying to Hebrew.

To the uneducated in Hebrew, they look at an English translation and think they can parse it out using the rules of the English language--but that's not how things work. Cecil has completely failed to provide any evidence that this is a "qualifier" when Hebrew indicates it is a result. To hold his view, you have to see the phrase "to vex her" as relating to the subject, when, in point of fact, it relates to the object. It's a common mistake of those who desire to read things into Scripture that isn't there.

What we don't understand is the reticense on the part of, apparently, everyone here to admit that there are certain rules and restrictions that God placed on relationships. And the argument of "why didn't God just say it, plain and simple" falls on deaf ears with us. We think he did! He said it *right there*: Do not take two sisters to wife, for you will vex them for life". God also gave us chapter after chapter after chapter of life lessons of how vexatious two sisters who are married to the same man can be--in the lives of Leah and Rachel.

There is wisdom there. Strong and powerful wisdom--that is being ignored for ... why? Freedom to have twins? We just don't get it.

You state that uncovering nakedness is evil in and of itself, instead of being a euphemism for intercourse, or even what it literally states. This is your assumption. You assume to make a law of this, when the language matches the other at least as much, if not more. You then press this upon others.

You seriously misunderstand. The phrase "uncover nakedness" is an idiom--not a euphemism. Those are two very different things. And we never said nakedness was evil in and of itself. That was a straw-man argument used by someone (if memory serves, also Cecil) to ridicule our perspective to distract from the eternally serious issue of going against what God said quite clearly.

The phrase "uncover nakedness" is used specifically in Scripture to describe one thing and one thing only: sexual defilement. Most often, it is used to reference incest. In a couple instances, it is also used to reference improper sexual behavior. The loving and proper relationship between a man and his wives in sexual activity is never described in Scripture with such language. Only in those specific verses we posted is it used--and in every one, it is quite clear that the verses are discussing sexual defilement.

To argue that it's not sexual defilement, "if it doesn't vex them" is asinine and a complete reversal of the teachings the Lord is giving.

Our concern about such a thing is that advocating a false teaching places the teacher of such a thing in a seriously more dangerous position upon judgment day. Our perspective is to be much, much more conservative: Scripture clearly says it's a bad thing. Even if you can't understand Hebrew and see the "to vex her" as a qualifier, you have to admit that it must be a completely *unusual* experience. In fact, we can only see that such a thing would ever be allowed by God's will in the case where He was giving another life-lesson to people who were too blind to read it in the Word for themselves. As he gave the harlot to Hosea to teach the nation of Israel about their idolatry, so we could imagine such an occurrance to teach people how really heinous it is.

You are fitting your view upon the scripture, through your assumptions. That is the problem.

Odd, we see it the other way around. We see people bound and determined not to read it clearly and simply, seeing it as a convluted thing instead of a very, very simple statement: don't do this, it's sexual defilement, it vexes those who do it for life.

Such should not divide brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Why this mention again of dividing the brethren? Are you so committed to this particular understanding of this particular verse that you would break faith over it? We certainly are not. We see the sin and we are warning you of it. You are ignoring it and living your life as you see fit--advocating it to others. Ours is just a warning to brethren and pointing out that you may not have a clear understanding here.

As you said, what does it hurt if we choose not to take sisters? Nothing. We are not in violation.
As you have said, if God leads you to this, then you'll do it. That's fine and dandy.

Why espouse it and open the door to everyone? Why not acknowledge the *extremely serious implications* that Scripture points out? It seems to us that in the rampant desire to validate all forms of plural marriage, the cart has run away with the horse and good sense has been tossed out.

You can't simply wish away such a serious statement as "sexual defilement" on a whim of "Well, I don't think I'm doing it to vex her...." And for those seeking a clear message from God, show me the verse that says, "It is perfectly fine for a man to marry two sisters." We see that God *has* given a clear message: "Marrying sisters is sexual defilement and vexes them for life." Then he gives us chapter after chapter after chapter showing how vexatious a relationship it can be with Leah's and Rachel's life-lesson.

But all that gets swept under the rug. Why? It makes no sense in our eyes.

Cecil calls it "pesonal repugnance." Interesting because the one expressing that repugnance is God, we're just pointing out that it's there. God is the one who described it in harsh language, not us. We just said, "hey, look, God said this." We're overlaying nothing on the verse. The verse says it is sexual defilement. It says it will vex the participants for life. Simple. Clear. Plain. It is our human desire to find loopholes that seeks to "qualify" something that is quite clearly a result.

There is also this confusion between being "sisters in Christ" and "genetic sisters". God has very clearly cut off genetic relations in Scripture from being valid or acceptable. He has also very clearly indicated we should keep within tight communities of spiritual relations.

We've been seriously disappointed to see how this discussion has proceeded. Instead of hearing people say, "It is our strongest desire to please God, to be sure that we are not breaking any of His guidelines or mandates, we see the inherent danger in any such union" we hear them say instead, "Oh, hey, free love, take anyone you want, there's just a little, teensy qualifier in there, pay it no real mind..."

It started off as an interesting discussion but is turning into a serious doctrinal concern.

Next, I guess the mandate that no man in church leadership can be married to more than one wife will also be subverted, eh?

Part of our retisence as you put it is because you are coming in with a sledge hammer and trying to make us comply with a law that you claim is a law. Since there is no one on this board who is currently married to sisters or even courting two sisters I don't understand why you are making a big deal about it. The original question was about the name we choose to be called. We have said that the term sister wife is truly just the term that we have at the moment because no one has thought of anything more palatable. I personally have asked you for suggestions to find a better word.

The fact of the matter is that we all have to answer to God for our choices. If you don't want to marry sisters then don't. But if someone else does, then they are accountable to God for that decision. You have made your opinion known very clearly. My husband is a bible scholar and has studied Hebrew in seminary. He has studied according to the rules that you mention and has not found the same obvious conclusion that you have. He has posted at length about this very topic in other threads.

Regardless of this, you are very upset over what isn't really even an issue. I can see if someone were trying to force you to marry your wife's sister. That isn't happening. Every man on this board is capable of making decisions and also of reading scripture. To date, no one is interested in pursuing this sort of relationship so I suggest that we all put our clubs away and stop beating this dead horse.

SweetLissa

A couple of comments, B&B:
To the uneducated in Hebrew

Some of us are not. Neither, however, do we claim sufficient Knowledge to prohibit others from things that God does not. The burden is on those who "teach others to do so".

Why espouse it and open the door to everyone?
NO ONE here is doing that! And it is in plain English that I reject that assertion. There is a difference between "espousing" something and saying that it is NOT prohibited.

It is the very SAME difference that exists between "espousing" plural marriage -- since CLEARLY not all men or women are suited to it, and many are not suited to ANY marriage! --
and pointing out -- CORRECTLY! -- that it is NEVER prohibited!

Please do not "accuse" and then ignore the discussion and alternatives. That is, after all, the entire point of how "iron sharpens iron".

And for those seeking a clear message from God, show me the verse that says, "It is perfectly fine for a man to marry two sisters." We see that God *has* given a clear message: "Marrying sisters is sexual defilement and vexes them for life."

Done, and done: Read Jeremiah 3 and Ezekiel 23; TWO witnesses. Did God "sexually defile" Alolah or Aholibah, Jerusalem or Samaria, Israel or Judeah? There certainly IS "nakedness" in the story, however.

We see people bound and determined not to read it clearly and simply, seeing it as a convluted thing instead of a very, very simple statement: don't do this, it's sexual defilement, it vexes those who do it for life.

You see people determined to read Scripture for WHAT IT SAYS, and not what we think is should say. Most here can tell you of more than one case -- on this board alone -- where we have participated openly in a discussion of Scripture and LEARNED something, including that we were wrong. That has not only been my own experience, but it is why I thing BF is such a wonderful blessing, and worthy of support.

But you HAVE NOT MADE the case, BexyandBen.

I asked you for a second witness for your position. Repeating an argument does not so qualify. Neither does claiming that the same phrasing is used for a DIFFERENT situation. (While that helps define the word, it does not make for a confirmation of the original claim from a new source.)

Finally, as Sadan and now myself have noted -- you have ignored the multiple witnesses (two separate prophets, metaphor or not) who refute your claim about sisters. (Or are we to conclude that God Himself sins?)

We've been seriously disappointed to see how this discussion has proceeded. Instead of hearing people say, "It is our strongest desire to please God...
...we hear them say instead, "Oh, hey, free love, take anyone you want, there's just a little, teensy qualifier in there, pay it no real mind..."

Please do not stoop to such. If it were not the desire of those who participate here to please God, and study His Word like the Bereans, this board would not exist.

It started off as an interesting discussion but is turning into a serious doctrinal concern.

Next, I guess the mandate that no man in church leadership can be married to more than one wife will also be subverted, eh?

Now I will suggest that you read the threads on this topic before continuing. There is a quick intro in the home page resource area:
http://biblicalfamilies.org/commonmisc#ref5

Several threads here have addressed the likely mistranslation, and this article is one among several good ones:

http://home.sprynet.com/~jbwwhite/HEIS_MIABW.html

Ultimately, understand that most here already know that "mia wife" does NOT necessarily make that prohibition either (although many "elders", "deacons", or "bishops" already divorced from the wife of their youth may want to read it otherwise!) And whether two mis-translations of the same author may constitute two separate witnesses is another discussion... ;)

Blessings in His Name,

Mark

I'm with Lissa - if this horse isn't dead, we've at least covered it thoroughly enough to smother it. And not just this week. The moderators have agreed to lock this thread for now, so that hopefully we can move on to issues that have more practical benefit in all our lives. Like "How can I get my wife's sister to stop blabbing my family's business to everyone else?" - that a number of us have actually encountered...

We certainly do all care about the Word, but as Bereans God has certainly not lead us all in the same direction yet, and we should stand in support of our brothers while not judging another's servant. I'd reiterate the Nathan Wilson quote from the birth-control thread here:
"What matters is that you can stand before God with a clear conscience on this issue."

And as some have pointed out, this issue isn't likely to impact (m)any of us personally, so we don't want it to the be the biggest discussion that newcomers to Biblical Families stumble across. That'd be a head-scratcher for sure. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back