• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Oh hell no!

They're figurin' out that population reduction requires issuing "doe" tags too. Well, them dudes is destined to be critter turds when people figure out rumplestillskin's name.

I just realised that in doing this they just closed a major loophole of their own creation. Now you can't get out of the draft by saying you're a woman. Think about it. Don't like the draft? Now you can just wear a wig and call yourself Susan! Oh, bother, they closed that down, was nice while it lasted.

But then the USA is nuts actually having registration for a military draft at all. Why does it even exist? You haven't actually had military conscription for almost 50 years, yet still make people register for a system that doesn't exist and hasn't been needed for half a century, just in case you might want to start conscription one day in future? These days the government knows who you are anyway, they could make a list of everyone eligible for a draft from voting rolls and tax records in a matter of seconds, with a single database query, and then call you up. The additional paperwork involved with registering for a draft probably serves no practical purpose. But it may serve the purpose of psychological conditioning.

And what about all those poor minority girls who don't know how to get an ID to be able to vote? How will they figure out how to sign up for the draft that doesn't exist?

I just realised that in doing this they just closed a major loophole of their own creation. Now you can't get out of the draft by saying you're a woman. Think about it. Don't like the draft? Now you can just wear a wig and call yourself Susan! Oh, bother, they closed that down, was nice while it lasted.

But then the USA is nuts actually having registration for a military draft at all. Why does it even exist? You haven't actually had military conscription for almost 50 years, yet still make people register for a system that doesn't exist and hasn't been needed for half a century, just in case you might want to start conscription one day in future? These days the government knows who you are anyway, they could make a list of everyone eligible for a draft from voting rolls and tax records in a matter of seconds, with a single database query, and then call you up. The additional paperwork involved with registering for a draft probably serves no practical purpose. But it may serve the purpose of psychological conditioning.

I registered for the draft at 18. There were always PSA’s reminding young men to register, funny thing is, it’s been years since I’ve heard one of those. I hadn’t noticed that till just now.

Personally, I don’t think there should be a draft. If a war is so unpopular that nobody will show up on their own, maybe you shouldn’t be fighting it. If it’s really necessary, like actually defending the homeland, men WILL show up on their own and volunteer. Besides, drafted men make terrible soldiers.

I just realised that in doing this they just closed a major loophole of their own creation. Now you can't get out of the draft by saying you're a woman
That was my first thought also.

The additional paperwork involved with registering for a draft probably serves no practical purpose.
But it does provide employment in a department that wasn’t eliminated. ;)
Eliminating superfluous bureaucracy is almost impossible.

You’re right, let me rephrase that, men who are forced to go to war completely against their will, make terrible soldiers. Just because a man is drafted doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have volunteered or that he wouldn’t have been willing to go.
Totally agree, and I would say that it is much more true of the current crop of youth than is was of those in decades past. The Vietnam era was the beginning of the end.

But it does provide employment in a department that wasn’t eliminated. ;)
Eliminating superfluous bureaucracy is almost impossible.

I have an uncle who worked in the public relations department in D.C. for the Apollo program. The Apollo program itself was officially ended in the 1970s, but the p.r. dept. for it wasn't, so they stopped producing any promotional materials, but everyone kept their jobs. They were required to show up, but for over 30 years, my uncle did absolutely nothing at work, got serious raises every year, and retired with a full pension and benefits. Never demonstrated one ounce of guilt about that.

I have an uncle who worked in the public relations department in D.C. for the Apollo program. The Apollo program itself was officially ended in the 1970s, but the p.r. dept. for it wasn't, so they stopped producing any promotional materials, but everyone kept their jobs. They were required to show up, but for over 30 years, my uncle did absolutely nothing at work, got serious raises every year, and retired with a full pension and benefits. Never demonstrated one ounce of guilt about that.

My dad had to deal with federal department for a while. He realized that about 90% of the people in that department were completely unnecessary. The department was always a pain to have to deal with and the people working there were rude and would intentionally harass, and be a general nuisance to the public who had to deal with the department for permits and such. So, my dad started writing letters to the higher ups explaining the situation and that most of the people there did absolutely nothing. A couple months later he had to go back in there, and low and behold the four floors that were completely packed with non-essential workers had been reduced to about 8 people, on one floor... and they were SUPER friendly and helpful. Sometimes it takes an outsider making a scene to get the big wigs to cut out the fiscal rot.

More often, though, what occurs is that the squeaky wheels get demonized, fired or ostracized.

Totally agree, and I would say that it is much more true of the current crop of youth than is was of those in decades past.

People thought the same thing at the time of the generation called to war in the 40's.

People thought the same thing at the time of the generation called to war in the 40's.
Are you making the point that drafting today’s youth would be just as successful as it was back in the 40’s?

Back