• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

One company that's ahead of the curve

I LIKE it!

almost, but not quite.
one wife would have her own private space, including kitchenette, while the other would be sharing everything but her bedroom with the entire family.

it is a compromise that could be later sold for the purpose that it was designed for.

I like the concepts and the fact that a company has had success in recognizing these needs. These models are built for housing multiple families or multiple generations within a family.

Many traditionalist cultures house their family's parents, siblings or others together. The focus is usually family, but it also has the side benefit of creating a stronger economic position for all involved. As this concept grows, I can easily see the company creating more specialized solutions. One could also use these plans for an inspiration as you draw up your own.

I just realized that if the apartment is the Man-Cave...........................................awesome :D

the problem that I see with building a domicile that does not fit the normal family is the limited resale value. for me it seems that with jobs, callings, etc., change and relocation comes into the picture. my hope is for plenty of acreage with cabins of varying sizes. if it could be done w/out a mortgage on anything other than the main buildings it seems that the potential loss would be low.
building the main building as unsaleable (a two family home) just is not appealing.

steve said:
I just realized that if the apartment is the Man-Cave...........................................awesome :D
YES!!! That can be a great featured selling point for the main house! We can tout it as a Man-cave/doghouse option, depending on the buyer's leadership method!
:( :eek: :x :oops: ;) :D :lol:

The problem that I see with building a domicile that does not fit the normal family is the limited resale value. for me it seems that with jobs, callings, etc., change and relocation comes into the picture. My hope is for plenty of acreage with cabins of varying sizes. If it could be done w/out a mortgage on anything other than the main buildings it seems that the potential loss would be low.
building the main building as unsaleable (a two family home) just is not appealing.
OK buddy....I got your back! Try something like this....http://www.acamessageboards.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121665#Post121665

yes
Yes
OH, YES

I figure there has to be a suitable solution for anyone out there. I like the summer camp idea too. A summer camp for the poly crowd...hmmm. ;)

Start a fund raising drive to buy it.

B

If you needed to sell later you could always make it into separate apartments.

Doc

Great idea Bels! Bakesale, here we come!!! :lol:

Seriously though, a camp setting does provide for resale value and the opportunity to have a second revenue stream. As PM becomes more accepted, I can see this as a popular form of family business. While you needn't be totally public about your arrangements, poly families acting as camp hosts could provide a semi public model and help change perceptions. Also, if several poly families were to buy camps around the country, it would certainly be easier to schedule retreats.

As for the house within a house idea, I can see this as a viable option for many. The concept is not new in any way, but marketing these options in a large tract building plan certainly is. I would love to live in such a neighborhood where there is a deeper sense of community due specifically to the living arrangements of the occupants. One of the worst problems in housing tracts is when you have a ton of latchkey kids. A community built in this manner is far less likely to suffer the crime rates associated with unattended teens with no one available for moral guidance.

While this company seems to be focusing on two current trends, ie. traditionalist immigrant families who house multiple generations and the rising rate of boomerang children, they may also capitalize on the rise of PM. While this is probably not their intent, they may do very well using this concept on such a scale.

Great post! Agree on floor plan - 1st floor basically has 2 bedrooms and 2nd floor basically has 4. Not too big an issue if whoever is on first floor has less kids (like <= two of the same gender). Wonder if floor plan is same everywhere?

We have always said that if the Lord ever led me to take another wife, I would only do so if we all lived under one roof. Of course, we are just seriously weird for a dozen or more reasons, but I think you could EASILY house 20 people (1 man, 3 women, 16 children) in about 2000 square feet. For those who don't recall, we lived with 3 children in less than 300 sq. ft. for years and never had any problems at all even when we had company over!

Our drawn plans for a house to build (Lord willing) includes sleeping for 10 and a footprint of just 500 square feet with a 3/4 loft above sleeping 5 children pretty easily. This plan would allow for easy expansion to double the footprint, double the kitchen, bathrooms and living room size along with adding sleeping for 8 more pretty easily.

Of course, we are talking off grid, homesteading in the cold NE of the USA. Gotta keep all the bodies close together so we don't freeze!

I should note that we intend to have one bedroom for boys, one for girls. Bedrooms in our family are small and generally only for sleeping. Thus, the largest areas of the house are community spaces such as kitchen, dining, and living rooms. Bedrooms are basically large enough for the beds on the floor and a closet in which to hang clothes. We have lived with a community closet for years now and find it quite efficient, so instead of large bedrooms we tend to make a laundry room a bit larger than most as we clean and store clothes in that room along with changing either there or a bathroom. This maximizes space and demands we all learn to get along. Might not be for everyone, but this methodology has made our lives much less complicated and allowed a large family to live in a fairly small space.

Cow fam said:
I should note that we intend to have one bedroom for boys, one for girls. Bedrooms in our family are small and generally only for sleeping. Thus, the largest areas of the house are community spaces such as kitchen, dining, and living rooms. Bedrooms are basically large enough for the beds on the floor and a closet in which to hang clothes. We have lived with a community closet for years now and find it quite efficient, so instead of large bedrooms we tend to make a laundry room a bit larger than most as we clean and store clothes in that room along with changing either there or a bathroom. This maximizes space and demands we all learn to get along. Might not be for everyone, but this methodology has made our lives much less complicated and allowed a large family to live in a fairly small space.

"Community closet", now that's a new one... As for sharing bedrooms, I'm rather stunned when people use arguments like "it's not fair to make a child share their room" or "its not fair to make a child be alone in their room". You know, when I was a kid, my sister and I shared a room because we couldn't afford a bigger house. When we became teenagers, sharing a room was like forcing two cats into a box. Luckily by then, we had a bigger house. :lol: But I don't think either situation was "right" or "wrong", it was what we needed and what was plausible...

there were 7 of us kids
share a room? shucks, we shared a bed. (well, 2 girls shared 1 and 2 boys did also)

For us the community closet started when we moved into a camper with 3 kids. After a while, we decided we would have a changing room if possible. One walks in, disrobes and discards dirty clothes into the hamper, gets new clothes off the rack/shelves/drawer and gets dressed. Repeat 6 times and the whole family is dressed.

Nobody has to hunt down dirty clothes all over the house, or carry clean or hung clothes all over the house. Works best if this is also the room with the washer. One is forced to take turns, be patient, and plan their morning well, but family is all about teamwork anyway, so if those things don't exist, it is a great way to teach them. :D

Certainly some folks would not like this arrangement, but when planning to live in small spaces for long periods of time we have been forced to think over many things and we actually enjoy having our one closet.

Hmmm....How about a laundry room with a closet/storage area with adjoining shower rooms? Clean, efficient and orderly. One might label it a "lifehack" design in a home.

This discussion of alternative housing designs to accommodate PM reminds me of some bunker plans I saw a number of years ago based on hexagon/honeycomb shaped modules. Each module was single function such as bathroom, bedroom, living room, etc.

Take that idea and a tasteful redesign to get a proper home exterior. Then arrange 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and utility room/garage around a living room “hub”. Each bedroom module could be physically split to accommodate two wives and separate the kids (boy/girl). Get really fancy and put all the utilitarian rooms downstairs and put 5 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs with that central Living Room hub including both stories. Recently saw plans that used an octagon center for living space and then the other rooms ran along and behind the sides. So that it looks like an octagon inside a larger octagon.

I really like both designs as they emphasize the living and social area as being central to the whole house. Ideas. Ideas. ideas. I love looking at house designs.

Back