• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

One Flesh - a biological perspective

a man and women can have sex for 1000's of years and never become a physical one Flash.
This passage says otherwise...
I Corinthians 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. It quotes Gen. 2:24

If so I am glad you have your anwer.
I have noticed that when people DON'T agree with you, this is your go-to answer. As if somehow we are Biblically wrong and you are Biblically correct.
How can you claim to have 7 wives when you only have one child?
Your below statement does not answer Revolting Man's question. You are beating around the bush, by the way, that is a metaphor.
If Sex and Marriage the same then every female a man has had sex with is his wife.
I can actually agree with you on this statement.

Sex doesn't equal marriage, if that were the case then... I Corinthians 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. A harlot would be married to every man she has had SEX with.

And Tamar would be Judah's wife, although according to this passage...
Genesis 38:26 And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

He recognized the errors of his way, and claimed that she was more righteous than he was, but not once, and you can look at the context of the entire passage, was she referred to as his wife, but he did become one flesh with her, 1 Corinthians 6:16.

To Cleave is to Divide. A meat cleaver enters and splits flesh and is intimately touching said flesh. It's that simple. A meat cleaver does not lovingly and gently caress flesh. I believe that the old translators had an aversion to graphically representing dividing flesh and so created an opposite definition of being loving and cuddly and being "one". It is a very "down to earth" and easily understood aspect of sex. (Folds of)Skin is divided(cleaved) and man enters. That is sexual intercourse. To further "spiritualize" the act is to give in to the romantic version. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being "ONE" with my sweetheart and we agree on almost everything but after a bit the cleaving ends and we go back to being individual contributors to our marriage. When we change the definition of any word to suit our own bias it is gaslighting the remainder of humanity for our own selfish end. Now, having said that, many are repulsed at the "earthy" aspect of scripture but fortunately or not much of scripture is just that- down in the dirt and weeds of life, it is what it is and most of us just nod and agree that one thing or another just is not as pleasant. Not everything smells of lilac and rose. For instance, babies stink. But we love them anyway. To cleave your woman is to plant seed in your garden, not somebody else's garden(that's stealing). If you have(own) TWO gardens then that is beautiful too. If one garden is neglected it will overgrow with bad weeds and will need tending and cultivating to return to good fruit bearing. If TWO are untended then you are a bad husband of the garden- Up Your Game farmer dude! If you have Seven gardens, you are probably not attending well to their needs- a "hired hand" might be doing that for you (not good). Get your garden growing well and established before "buying" another garden.
I personally have only 1 garden and work hard to gently care for her but I applaud men with more. Sometimes I say, "Maybe someday..."

To Cleave is to Divide. A meat cleaver enters and splits flesh and is intimately touching said flesh. It's that simple. A meat cleaver does not lovingly and gently caress flesh. I believe that the old translators had an aversion to graphically representing dividing flesh and so created an opposite definition of being loving and cuddly and being "one". It is a very "down to earth" and easily understood aspect of sex. (Folds of)Skin is divided(cleaved) and man enters. That is sexual intercourse. To further "spiritualize" the act is to give in to the romantic version. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being "ONE" with my sweetheart and we agree on almost everything but after a bit the cleaving ends and we go back to being individual contributors to our marriage. When we change the definition of any word to suit our own bias it is gaslighting the remainder of humanity for our own selfish end. Now, having said that, many are repulsed at the "earthy" aspect of scripture but fortunately or not much of scripture is just that- down in the dirt and weeds of life, it is what it is and most of us just nod and agree that one thing or another just is not as pleasant. Not everything smells of lilac and rose. For instance, babies stink. But we love them anyway. To cleave your woman is to plant seed in your garden, not somebody else's garden(that's stealing). If you have(own) TWO gardens then that is beautiful too. If one garden is neglected it will overgrow with bad weeds and will need tending and cultivating to return to good fruit bearing. If TWO are untended then you are a bad husband of the garden- Up Your Game farmer dude! If you have Seven gardens, you are probably not attending well to their needs- a "hired hand" might be doing that for you (not good). Get your garden growing well and established before "buying" another garden.
I personally have only 1 garden and work hard to gently care for her but I applaud men with more. Sometimes I say, "Maybe someday..."

Cleave - Strong's H1692 - dāḇaq

דָּבַק​

Transliteration
dāḇaq
Pronunciation
daw-bak'

Part of Speech
verb
Root Word (Etymology)
A primitive root
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 398
KJV Translation Count — Total: 54x
The KJV translates Strong's H1692 in the following manner: cleave (32x), follow hard (5x), overtake (3x), stick (3x), keep fast (2x), ...together (2x), abide (1x), close (1x), joined (1x), pursued (1x), take (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. to cling, stick, stay close, cleave, keep close, stick to, stick with, follow closely, join to, overtake, catch
    1. (Qal)
      1. to cling, cleave to
      2. to stay with
    2. (Pual) to be joined together
    3. (Hiphil)
      1. to cause to cleave to
      2. to pursue closely
      3. to overtake
    4. (Hophal) to be made to cleave
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
דָּבַק dâbaq, daw-bak'; a primitive root; properly, to impinge, i.e. cling or adhere; figuratively, to catch by pursuit:—abide fast, cleave (fast together), follow close (hard after), be joined (together), keep (fast), overtake, pursue hard, stick, take.

So there's the scriptural definition of the word "cleave". Why are you changing the definition to suit your ideas about the matter? Do you know that changing the definition of a word in scripture is called perverting scripture?

When we change the definition of any word to suit our own bias it is gaslighting the remainder of humanity for our own selfish end.
I agree with this. Better do a word study before you start teaching a false interpretation. Don't want to gaslight the remainder of humanity to progress your own selfish end. Make sure you are using God's definition of the word instead of your own brother.

Here's a handful of the scriptural instances of that word being used, except I changed the word cleave to "split in half" since that's apparently the definition. Let's see if this word substitution makes any sense.

Gen 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall divide H1692 unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Gen 19:19
Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil divide H1692 me, and I die:

Gen 31:23
And he took his brethren with him, and pursued after him seven days' journey; and they divided H1692 him in the mount Gilead.

Gen 34:3
And his soul divided H1692 unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel, and spake kindly unto the damsel.

Num 36:7
So shall not the inheritance of the children of Israel remove from tribe to tribe: for every one of the children of Israel shall divide H1692 himself to the inheritance of the tribe of his fathers.

Num 36:9
Neither shall the inheritance remove from one tribe to another tribe; but every one of the tribes of the children of Israel shall divide H1692 himself to his own inheritance.

Deu 10:20
Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou divide, H1692 and swear by his name.

Deu 11:22
For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to divide H1692 unto him;

Deu 13:4
Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and divide H1692 unto him.

Deu 13:17
And there shall divide H1692 nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;

Deu 28:21
The LORD shall make the pestilence divide H1692 unto thee, until he have consumed thee from off the land, whither thou goest to possess it.

Deu 28:60
Moreover he will bring upon thee all the diseases of Egypt, which thou wast afraid of; and they shall divide H1692 unto thee.

Deu 30:20
That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest divide H1692 unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Last edited:
I think the sense of a cleaver being a chopping implement is that it uncleaves things. It’s a de-cleaver. I’m not positive on this though.

This passage says otherwise...
I Corinthians 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. It quotes Gen. 2:24

If becoming One Flesh is having Male to Female Sex then it has very little meaning as I could become one with a prostitute. Why worry about becoming One?

I have noticed that when people DON'T agree with you, this is your go-to answer. As if somehow we are Biblically wrong and you are Biblically correct.
No, it's stating if he is happy with that answer than great. I just don't completely agree. Also, I believe we are all guessing what G-d Means.

Your below statement does not answer Revolting Man's question. You are beating around the bush, by the way, that is a metaphor.

I might be asking questions, but as I said I don't think any of us know for sure.

I can actually agree with you on this statement.

Sex doesn't equal marriage, if that were the case then... I Corinthians 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. A harlot would be married to every man she has had SEX with.

I agree, but this meaning becoming one flesh is nothing more than a man having sex with a random women so it has very little or no real meaning.

And Tamar would be Judah's wife, although according to this passage...
Genesis 38:26 And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

He recognized the errors of his way, and claimed that she was more righteous than he was, but not once, and you can look at the context of the entire passage, was she referred to as his wife, but he did become one flesh with her, 1 Corinthians 6:16.

They did have a child though. But again if becoming one is just sex than its not special in anyway.

If becoming One Flesh is having Male to Female Sex then it has very little meaning as I could become one with a prostitute. Why worry about becoming One?
It’s important because Yah says it’s important. That’s self evident.

If becoming One Flesh is having Male to Female Sex then it has very little meaning as I could become one with a prostitute.
That's exactly what the Bible says happens.

1Co 6:16
Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”

That doesn't mean it has "very little meaning". It means that having sex with a prostitute is an extremely serious matter.

It’s important because Yah says it’s important. That’s self evident.

AbrahamSolomon said:
If becoming One Flesh is having Male to Female Sex then it has very little meaning as I could become one with a prostitute.

@FollowingHim
That's exactly what the Bible says happens.

1Co 6:16
Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”

That doesn't mean it has "very little meaning". It means that having sex with a prostitute is an extremely serious matter.

Sex in Marriage Yes, but sex outside is a sin. So Sex in Marriage is important.

@AbrahamSolomon, did you even read 1 Corinthians 6:16, that I posted?
That verse directly contradicts what you have said in your past two posts. You replied to it, but seemed to ignore it.
In fact, Genesis 2:24 and 1 Corinthians 6:16 are the two most important verses in the entire Bible for understanding what "one flesh" means. If you ignore either one of those verses you are not serious about engaging in the conversation.

I will look and reply once I return tomorrow.

Cleave - Strong's H1692 - dāḇaq

דָּבַק​

Transliteration
dāḇaq
Pronunciation
daw-bak'

Part of Speech
verb
Root Word (Etymology)
A primitive root
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 398
KJV Translation Count — Total: 54x
The KJV translates Strong's H1692 in the following manner: cleave (32x), follow hard (5x), overtake (3x), stick (3x), keep fast (2x), ...together (2x), abide (1x), close (1x), joined (1x), pursued (1x), take (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. to cling, stick, stay close, cleave, keep close, stick to, stick with, follow closely, join to, overtake, catch
    1. (Qal)
      1. to cling, cleave to
      2. to stay with
    2. (Pual) to be joined together
    3. (Hiphil)
      1. to cause to cleave to
      2. to pursue closely
      3. to overtake
    4. (Hophal) to be made to cleave
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
דָּבַק dâbaq, daw-bak'; a primitive root; properly, to impinge, i.e. cling or adhere; figuratively, to catch by pursuit:—abide fast, cleave (fast together), follow close (hard after), be joined (together), keep (fast), overtake, pursue hard, stick, take.

So there's the scriptural definition of the word "cleave". Why are you changing the definition to suit your ideas about the matter? Do you know that changing the definition of a word in scripture is called perverting scripture?
I am sure glad that Mr Strong is inspired. Besides you added to my definition to say something I did not intend. I did NOT say to cut apart and separate in half. That is asunder and that is what SHOULD NOT be done to the one-flesh.

Back