• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Only wife" syndrome

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
A good point on a related forum got me to thinking...
(that may be a Bad Thing :shock: )

Sociologists often make a big deal about what is sometimes called "Only Child" Syndrome, where such folks are presumed to grow up selfish and withdrawn, having not had the opportunity to be "socialized" by other siblings, forced to share, learn to put off gratification, interact with others, etc.

It occurs to me that the same thing -- if true at all! ;) -- could be said in a larger sense about "other family members". :lol:

But I can't say that I'm surprised when such apparent contradictions are ignored; after all, it's far from unique. :? But it's something to bear in mind when certain questions are asked...

I've actually thought considerably about this. Really, the two are real and line up very well. The child syndrome can easily be seen in many Turkish families. I even know some that don't want to have more children because their child doesn't want to not be the only one.

The same attitude is shown as with women and their husbands... exactly the same, in fact... even if there is no husband at the time of the polygamy subject being brought up. I have thought of a few ways to bypass it in marriage, such as the way it is bypassed completely by having twins or two children born close together, however it remains a difficult issue. Some of it can be solved by marrying younger, while girls are still in the state of easily conforming to their husbands, but then culture gets in the way of that too. Seems everything God designed to make the process of marriage and family easier has nothing but worldly obstacles in their paths.

So just like a child asking his parents for a baby brother or sister, can the wife ask for an extra wife? :D

"I want her to have brown hair and call her Tessie" :lol:

Back