• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Origins of monogamy-ONLY view

Juno on the other hand was the goddess of marriage in Roman culture. And as marriage was monogamous, that presumably means she was considered a goddess of monogamy.

@YAHites, I am simply interested in the truth. You should note that I have never once said you were wrong, I have simply asked for references to back it up.

How do you know this is a "historical fact"? That's what you need an ancient reference for. You're presupposing something you read somewhere is a fact, when without an ancient reference for all you know it could have been imagined by whoever wrote it. I'm not willing to jump to conclusions like that.

As I am actually interested in understanding this, I have just spent some time investigating what is known about the cult of Astarte in order to determine what she was associated with. As far as I can determine, very little is actually known about this cult (please tell me if I've missed anything important).

In what very little is available, I have not yet been able to find any association between Astarte and monogamy. On the contrary, in Egyptian mythology Astarte and Anat were the wives of Set - in other words, in Egypt she is pictured as a wife in a polygamous marriage.

I have not presupposed that anything I have read is fact without checking the background with evidence to support, which is not always a singular ancient reference but a host of ancient data that leads to an objective understanding.

You have not acknowledged what was presented before, while jumping from what I originally stated and circumventing babylon. There is a thread that goes from where we are today and makes it's way through all cultures and civilizations all the way back to the garden, made clear when you understand the connecting influences of female deities upon the societies and cultures that are mentioned in scripture, those that are not, those that you know of and those that you do not.

It's not a cursory look at a singular point achieved in a quick read through of one online resource.

Juno is Hera that monogamy can be attributed to. Fact
Juno is Astarte reference given. Fact

Take your time. Dig deeper.

Dynasty building favours monogamy, especially primogeniture. Power requires keeping all wealth is hand of one man. Also, it makes non-firstborn sons very dependant on other people since they have nothing.

Consider Capetian miracle. 10 generation with only one heir which means family holding only grow.

In polygyny wealth is spread around. This diversification makes whole clan economically resilient. Secondly, how large will family army be? After 2/3 generation easily one company and 1/2 generations more full brigade size. This would be considerable military might.

In smaller town police couldn't intimidate family. I'm serious, with large enough property they could windstand police siege for years. Locals would have to cry out for federales's help.

Regarding Church behaviour. It was simple property grab. No priest would like to work for free. He would also like to leave his property to his children. No children, everything reverts to Church.

This is the big deal. Clans decentralize power and make the people resilient. They reduce maximum wealth on the individual level but raise the average wealth while adding security and freedom. The state and other centralizing institutions (banking, hierarchical churches, etc) hate this.

I have not presupposed that anything I have read is fact without checking the background with evidence to support, which is not always a singular ancient reference but a host of ancient data that leads to an objective understanding.

You have not acknowledged what was presented before, while jumping from what I originally stated and circumventing babylon. There is a thread that goes from where we are today and makes it's way through all cultures and civilizations all the way back to the garden, made clear when you understand the connecting influences of female deities upon the societies and cultures that are mentioned in scripture, those that are not, those that you know of and those that you do not.

It's not a cursory look at a singular point achieved in a quick read through of one online resource.

Juno is Hera that monogamy can be attributed to. Fact
Juno is Astarte reference given. Fact

Take your time. Dig deeper.
If you have checked the background, all we are asking is that you show us the research that you did. Show us where to dig. Please tone down on the hostility.

If you have checked the background, all we are asking is that you show us the research that you did. Show us where to dig. Please tone down on the hostility.
Oh dear @Daniel DeLuca it seems you are reading a hostile tone into what I wrote, maybe keep the ad-hominem comments to yourself as there was no hostility from my side.

Let's have a look... hostility you say...

I have no idea whether you are purposefully being obtuse, or trying to be difficult for reasons unknown to me, in what I believed was meant to be a discussion between men loving & seeking the truth in order to live the truth. Disappointing.

This discourse has been disappointing but revealing. As I suggested to @Daniel DeLuca if you really are interested in the truth of what I presented as you stated, it would behoove you to go through what I wrote and then what @rockfox wrote and presented, objectively, then do as the bereans did.

Anyways, Shabbat Shalom Love and Blessings to you all in MessiYAH

hmmm interesting...

Back