• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Origins of monogamy-ONLY view

From my own personal study I can pinpoint numerous specific events that have propelled monogamy only namely...

Babylonian captivity the origin of the Pharisees and their rise to influence

Roman Law of Bigamy in 285ad

Constantine creating Christianity as an official religion of the Roman Empire

The council of Trent that fulfilled the prophesy of Apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 4
Add Numa Pompellius' law c. 586BCE that declared only one married wife could produce a heritable offspring though sex w slaves, concubines, etc was allowed.

To my knowledge, that is the foundational law in the chain that eventually led Rome to monogamy only.

Add Numa Pompellius' law c. 586BCE that declared only one married wife could produce a heritable offspring though sex w slaves, concubines, etc was allowed.

To my knowledge, that is the foundational law in the chain that eventually led Rome to monogamy only.
OK - there is more. But I find the the RCC seems to 'soft-peddle' the edict that I have seen - but can NOT confirm through one of their official sources - that it was in the AD 900-1000 timeframe that (shortly AFTER the abomination of 'priestly celibacy', which has also borne great fruit, pun intended...) "monogamy only" was declared by the 'one true and only' "church" (after all, there can be only one.)

As many here are aware, shortly after that, Rabbi Gershom issued the famous t'kanah that decreed (for a limited time; I've seen 500 years, but most jews who know about it now say it was 1000...regardless, it's expired) decreeing the same for the Sephardics. He was reported to have said, in conjunction, that "when christians and jews disagree...jews die," as a rationale.

From my own personal study I can pinpoint numerous specific events that have propelled monogamy only namely...

Babylonian captivity the origin of the Pharisees and their rise to influence

Roman Law of Bigamy in 285ad

Constantine creating Christianity as an official religion of the Roman Empire

The council of Trent that fulfilled the prophesy of Apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 4
I have to disagree with the "Babylonian captivity" claim. We read in Daniel 5 that Belshazzar had more than one wife. Also, the Essenes had more to do with anti-polygyny than the Pharisees did. We can see the writings in the Dead Sea Scrolls that point to the views of the Essenes, but no such writings are believed to have come from the Pharisees.

Thelyphthora Volume 3 has extensive quotes from early church fathers, and it documents when and where this monogamy only heresy invaded the church.

If you read the words of Christ on marriage and divorce that are used to condemn polygamy you see that Christ was preaching against serial monogamy. My impression from the writings of Josephus that the change from polygamy to monogamy came about due to the influence of the Greeks (so post-Alexander). i don't know what the marriage practices of those who carried them to captivity were but historically it was the same as the Hebrews.

I have to disagree with the "Babylonian captivity" claim. We read in Daniel 5 that Belshazzar had more than one wife. Also, the Essenes had more to do with anti-polygyny than the Pharisees did. We can see the writings in the Dead Sea Scrolls that point to the views of the Essenes, but no such writings are believed to have come from the Pharisees.

Thelyphthora Volume 3 has extensive quotes from early church fathers, and it documents when and where this monogamy only heresy invaded the church.
That's okay @daniel DeLDani, the origin of the pharisees started in the babylonian captivity.

Whether Belshazzar had more than one wife is neither here nor there when it comes to the order of royal or governmantal lifestyle over the populace in any civilization.

The Babylonians worshipped the same "goddess" the Roman's went on to worship under a different name. It was that entity that demanded monogamy through the law of bigamy.

When MessiYAH was questioned by the pharisees regarding divorce the pharisees never stated anything about marrying another but YAHushuWaH answered by adding AND married another which was not in the question that the pharisees asked but YAHushuWaH knew the intention of their heart behind the question which was to validate THEIR babylonian doctrine over the Torah.

The oral law of the pharisees is what became the babylonian talmud and if you do your research it will be very clear as to why MessiYAH added "and marries another" when responding to the pharisees who only mentioned divorce.

You are conflating the doctrine of the pharisees with the essenes and the Dead Sea scrolls, which may be your confusion on what I wrote.

To be clear I do not recognise the church fathers as any sort of authority, so the quotes within the Thelyphthora have no real bearing on anything, YAHushuWaH ratified the apostles, only, read John 17

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through THEIR word; — John 17:20 KJV

If you read the words of Christ on marriage and divorce that are used to condemn polygamy you see that Christ was preaching against serial monogamy. My impression from the writings of Josephus that the change from polygamy to monogamy came about due to the influence of the Greeks (so post-Alexander). i don't know what the marriage practices of those who carried them to captivity were but historically it was the same as the Hebrews.
You are wrong MessiYAH NEVER condemned polygyny. Please share the scriptures where you claim he did so.

EDIT*
My Apologies @rockfox , I reread your post because something didn't "feel" right, and saw that in my haste to go out I missed the word "that" which changes the context of what you wrote.

You are indeed correct serial monogamy is definitely one way of putting it. Because the word monogamy was not a "thing" I see it as the devil was working to cause men to be serial whoremongers.

Last edited:
You are wrong MessiYAH NEVER condemned polygyny. Please share the scriptures where you claim he did so.

EDIT*
My Apologies @rockfox , I reread your post because something didn't "feel" right, and saw that in my haste to go out I missed the word "that" which changes the context of what you wrote.

You are indeed correct serial monogamy is definitely one way of putting it. Because the word monogamy was not a "thing" I see it as the devil was working to cause men to be serial whoremongers.

I wrote serial monogamy but serial polygamy is the more appropriate phrase.

Either way, what Christ was condemning, what the church today justifies, was violating the first marriage in order to have a second.

Except in our day it's not men replacing their wives but women replacing their husbands. All the worse.

That's okay @daniel DeLDani, the origin of the pharisees started in the babylonian captivity.

Whether Belshazzar had more than one wife is neither here nor there when it comes to the order of royal or governmantal lifestyle over the populace in any civilization.

The Babylonians worshipped the same "goddess" the Roman's went on to worship under a different name. It was that entity that demanded monogamy through the law of bigamy.

When MessiYAH was questioned by the pharisees regarding divorce the pharisees never stated anything about marrying another but YAHushuWaH answered by adding AND married another which was not in the question that the pharisees asked but YAHushuWaH knew the intention of their heart behind the question which was to validate THEIR babylonian doctrine over the Torah.

The oral law of the pharisees is what became the babylonian talmud and if you do your research it will be very clear as to why MessiYAH added "and marries another" when responding to the pharisees who only mentioned divorce.

You are conflating the doctrine of the pharisees with the essenes and the Dead Sea scrolls, which may be your confusion on what I wrote.

To be clear I do not recognise the church fathers as any sort of authority, so the quotes within the Thelyphthora have no real bearing on anything, YAHushuWaH ratified the apostles, only, read John 17

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through THEIR word; — John 17:20 KJV
OK, I'd like to see your sources. It sounds like an interesting theory, and would be a good solid answer to those who bring up Matt 19:9.

Where did the Resources page go?

I found it. You have to click on Home first.

OK, I'd like to see your sources. It sounds like an interesting theory, and would be a good solid answer to those who bring up Matt 19:9.

Interesting article, but can you direct me to where in that article the source of the claim that Monogamy only had its origins in the Babylonian Captivity? It is laden with content, but I don't see any footnotes.

Interesting article, but can you direct me to where in that article the source of the claim that Monogamy only had its origins in the Babylonian Captivity? It is laden with content, but I don't see any footnotes.
Going back to my original post, my point is that it was the so called queen of heaven who demanded monogamy through the Babylonian empire out of which sprang the pharisees and pharisaical doctrine that YAHushuWaH vehemently opposed

and also in the article, I do state clearly that the

"QUEEN OF HEAVEN DEMANDED MONOGAMY AS THE ONLY FORM OF MARRIAGE"

Screenshot_20230418-091830_DuckDuckGo.jpg

My whole premise is that it is daemons devils "goddess" adversaries of YAH who are headed up by ha-satan, that are the ones who influenced societies, in the case of our monogamy discussion from Babylon through to Rome (we could go back to Mitsraim) to implement laws and standards of lifestyle that led up to the law of bigamy being instituted throughout the Roman empire in 285AD that is still in force today. Also, you will find that in cultures that have not been engulfed by "the west" that similar forms of "goddess" "worship" imposing standards of living and relationships have produced similar outcomes, ultimately causing people to sin perpetually before the most high.

There is actually an accompanying video at the bottom of the article.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Going back to my original post, my point is that it was the so called queen of heaven who demanded monogamy through the Babylonian empire out of which sprang the pharisees and pharisaical doctrine that YAHushuWaH vehemently opposed

and also in the article, I do state clearly that the

"QUEEN OF HEAVEN DEMANDED MONOGAMY AS THE ONLY FORM OF MARRIAGE"

View attachment 4757

My whole premise is that it is daemons devils "goddess" adversaries of YAH who are headed up by ha-satan, that are the ones who influenced societies, in the case of our monogamy discussion from Babylon through to Rome (we could go back to Mitsraim) to implement laws and standards of lifestyle that led up to the law of bigamy being instituted throughout the Roman empire in 285AD that is still in force today. Also, you will find that in cultures that have not been engulfed by "the west" that similar forms of "goddess" "worship" imposing standards of living and relationships have produced similar outcomes, ultimately causing people to sin perpetually before the most high.

There is actually an accompanying video at the bottom of the article.

I hope that clears it up for you.
No, I am afraid not. It is merely a bunch of assertions.

Seriously man! I would never use that in an argument, without proper sources, a historian or someone who was an expert in the Babyonian language. I recently watched a video where a pastor got shot down, because he used an argument about some scientific notion that women have the DNA of all the men they slept with, and it really hurt his case in the debate and his effort to argue in favor of polygyny.

If you have good sources, please cite them.

Seriously man! I would never use that in an argument, without proper sources, a historian or someone who was an expert in the Babyonian language. I recently watched a video where a pastor got shot down, because he used an argument about some scientific notion that women have the DNA of all the men they slept with, and it really hurt his case in the debate and his effort to argue in favor of polygyny.

Pastor is right:

No, I am afraid not. It is merely a bunch of assertions.
Seriously @YAHites, he's right, you didn't answer his query. Let me rephrase his question:

What ancient historical document shows that the queen of heaven demanded monogamy-only?

You may well be right, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'd like to know the answer too.

Augustine of Hippo stated that Juno was named Astarte in the Punic language, a notion that the discovery of the Pyrgi lamellae has proved correct.
Augustinus Quaestiones in Heptateuchum VII 16

As to the queen of heaven / astarte / hera / juno demanding monogamy only, I have read that she as the goddess of marriage and monogamy was the influence for that specific law of bigamy many years ago, the reference was not from an ancient writing as you request but from a modern writing about roman laws which I cannot remember at the moment, it may well be on the site, but, when I do locate it I will post it.

The roman empire itself is founded on so called myth or mythical precedence with regards to the formulation of its laws from customs, namely the law of the twelve tables which had been unwritten and exclusively interpreted by upper-class priests, the pontifices, from which the pontifiex maximus derives his authority. So, far from being an assertion, it is an historical fact that priests who were dedicated to their specific deities not only were responsible for the founding laws of rome but also more than a passing influence on the development of laws including marriage laws in Rome, and laws up until this very day.

The Collegium Pontificum (College of Pontiffs / pontifices) was the most important priesthood of ancient Rome. It's foundation and the office of pontifex maximus is attributed to the second king of Rome, Numa Pompilius, who was referred to earlier on in this thread by @PeteR making Numa Pompilius not only a king but a priest who declared laws.

queen of heaven / astarte / hera / juno demanding monogamy

wp-1619791217261.jpg

Back