• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Overcoming Objections To Plural Marriage: Topic 1

If celibacy is inferred as the best way and ideally everyone picked the best way then the human race would have disappeared off the face of the earth for lack of interest (or lack of sex).
Since God has not chosen to let the human race fade away as I just mentioned we can infer (ah.. inferring is fun) that for many the "best" way God included was to have sex and family and big Thanksgiving dinners. I'll throw that in I guess as yesterday was my favorite (and of course then it must follow) the best holiday of the year.
Inferring because celibacy is well spoken of in scripture that it must be the best way is no more plausible then my inferring that Thanksgiving is the best holiday because I like it best.
Righteous living is not a good-better-best scenario. Part of the confusion is that the concept of the perfect will of God has been stripped of what God wants and does and replaced with what man thinks God wants and does. This humanistic interpretation then allowed the blasphemous idea of the imperfect will of God. Easily done when man creates his own theological deity in man's own image. The man-made 'imperfect will of God' then becomes a judgmental hammer to pound your Christian neighbor. Actually this hammer is one of Satan's favorite tools. He loves to borrow it, the owner is proud to let him borrow it, and Satan always is glad to return it to be polished by it's owner.

welltan said:
If celibacy is inferred as the best way and ideally everyone picked the best way then the human race would have disappeared off the face of the earth for lack of interest (or lack of sex).

You're assuming here that we "pick" our calling from a sort of smorgasbord of choices. But this is not so. God calls us, we don't call Him. Jesus said this explicitly:

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you . . .

And he did not make us all equal in gifts - St. Paul is quite explicit about this. Some are given the lesser gift of tongues, some are given the higher gift of prophecy and healing. This doesn't make the gift of tongues bad, perish the thought. It simply means that it is a lesser gift than the others.

In the same way, some are called to a celibate life dedicated to the Gospel, like Paul. Some are called to monogamy, no doubt the majority. Still others are called to polygyny. These are all good gifts, but they are not equal. Paul is clear that celibacy is the highest. Monogamy is of Eden, so it is excellent. Polygyny is a post-Fall institution - like property and biblical slavery - designed to limit the consequences of sin. They are good in themselves, but there are higher things.

Why not just get a bit humble about the matter and cop to it forthrightly? Whence this need to call polygyny anything other than what it is - a dispensation from God to depart from the norm of Eden in order to limit the damage of Original Sin?

I feel called to polygyny, a vocation I'm still trying to discern. I have no problem admitting that I'm called to a lesser vocation than celibacy or monogamy, no doubt due to my own innate limitations and the many sins I committed in my life thus far. But it's better than where I am now in many ways - better for me, hopefully better for the single mother and her children I may wind up with in addition to my current wife. So what that God gave others a greater gift, or that I (no doubt) blew my many God-given chances for greater grace in my 53 years so fraught with mistakes? Big whoop. I am what I am, and it's a sin to envy others their good fortune (or if I'm going to be brutally honest, their better behavior).

I gently suggest that some of the reluctance to accept this simple truth is our American belief that somehow we really all are "created equal." I suppose that's true enough in a sort of secular political sense - i.e. the state must ensure that the civil laws apply impartially to all - but it's obviously not true in any other sense. God most emphatically did not create all men equal, just as he made some animals higher than others, and man to rule over them, and above man various orders of angels, some who stand close to God, others further away. All are good, but some are greater than others.

Jesus made this abundantly clear in his parable of the talents.

Aren't we really smuggling into our Christian theology a sort of self-deification under the wholly idolatrous slogan Vox Populi, Vox Dei? "The Voice of the People is the Voice of God." This is written in large stone letters in the courthouse in Milwaukee (I grew up in Wisconsin). It's really shocking idolatry. I have news for American Christians - to voice of the people is not the voice of God. The Bible is the voice of God.

And the Bible is very clear that celibacy is a higher calling than monogamy and that monogamy is a higher calling than polygyny. Just to repeat - God calls us, we don't call Him. We don't choose our vocation, God chooses it for us, it is up to us to discern it.

I get the feeling that many here are reluctant to admit that some might be more graced than others. Some are given a few coppers of grace, some a big bag of gold in grace. It's all a billion times more than we deserve so nobody has the right to complain. And as St. Paul points out, we have as much right to complain about it as a pot has to complain to the potter who made it. He owes us nothing and certainly He owes us no explanations for why he made me and an incomparably greater soul like, say, Francis of Assisi. We owe Him everything.

Why not just get honest about it and thank God for the lesser gift?

Erskine Childers said:
I feel called to polygyny, a vocation I'm still trying to discern. I have no problem admitting that I'm called to a lesser vocation than celibacy or monogamy, no doubt due to my own innate limitations and the many sins I committed in my life thus far. But it's better than where I am now in many ways - better for me, hopefully better for the single mother and her children I may wind up with in addition to my current wife. So what that God gave others a greater gift, or that I (no doubt) blew my many God-given chances for greater grace in my 53 years so fraught with mistakes? Big whoop. I am what I am, and it's a sin to envy others their good fortune (or if I'm going to be brutally honest, their better behavior).
So you are called to polygyny, something you are "still trying to discern" Yet you have enough understanding to label it as something degraded because of the sin in your own life. You then demand or at the very least insist that everyone that chooses polygyny to be aware that the basis of polygyny in their own lives should be because of sin also rather than a true and pure revelation or application from God. Perhaps there is a subtle motivation to jump in the boat with polygynists before degrading them with empowerment based in your awareness of your own sin. I really do not have a problem with applying your reasoning to yourself. But own your own sin as a motivation if you like but do not load others.
You might find it interesting to know that several members of this forum feel that Christ may have been married, or even if finding no basis to say that Christ was married, there is also no basis to say Christ was not married. But whether a person even includes this possibility or not for when he walked this earth, it is very obvious that the current bride of Christ includes more than just one person. If Christ applied the celibate value you insist on (farther then the limited application of 1 Cor 7) to monogamy and polygyny, then Christ himself would not want or need the bride of Christ. Notice I wrote the word “need”. According to your logic either Christ’s “need” would be sinful or Christ actually did not want the “bride of Christ” but rather chose the bride out of some remarkable desire to be a lesser form of redeemer of his bride.

For those that God would want to be celibate then that is the “better” as it mentions in 1 Cor. 7 However it is a narrow individual application. Including celibate as a broad vocation is mainly found in the catholic church which has failed to realize this mistake and is saddled with abuse, etc

A desire to continue any value system into planting a wedge between monogamy and polygyny will not be successful as scripture makes no distinction and scripture just calls it marriage. Celibacy of course is not even marriage and I doubt that the term “patriarchal celibate” will catch on.

Forbidding to marry?
1 Timothy 4:1-3 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines o f devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth."

Mr. Childers,
I certainly disagree with many if not all your conclusions, but that is not unexpected, because your premise is founded on unbiblical teaching. You appeal to a religious structure for authority and quote the Bible to verify it. This is a reverse logic. Let us begin with the Bible, continue with the Bible and we will surely come to Biblical conclusions. Interjecting any other authority ony confuses the the issue and builds on a faulty foundation.

The Bible does indeed teach structure in many areas, but not distinctions of quality. Marriage is marriage, whether a man is with more than one or not. The same man may have several marriages, but each is an independent relationship. Paul does not elevate celibacy above marriage, he does recommend it for a specific time of persecution, but never as a superior state. Mr. Childers, please abandon your Catholicism altogether and begin anew with the Word of God as your sole authority.

John Whitten

God save any woman from bring married to a man who "feels called" to what he considers a third class relationship.
now there is martyrdom.

sir g. bumblberry, kindly stifle yourself.

Frankly, I think this entire line is preposterous. If polygyny is a lesser calling then I am out of here. I don't think God intends me to be the spoils of a man's inferior calling. (How bout it ladies?)

To he who is faithful much is given. If a man has been faithful in a little he will be given more. So if a man has been a faithful husband and father, using this particular analogy, he will be given more wives and children. If a man is not faithful in a little he will not be given any more (monogamy).

In Hebrews 11 where God shows us his examples of the faithul, why are there so many polygamists in that list? Surely Abraham, Jacob,
Gideon, David, and Moses cannot be considered to have a lesser calling, since they are the fathers of our faith.

Scripture cannot contradict itself, so there must be another meaning to the passage that you say "clearly" shows that celebacy is higher calling than monogamy and monogamy is higher than polgyny.

Try reading that passage in historical context.

SweetLissa

Hey Erskine,

Well I'm thankful for the fact you indeed do not believe it to be sinful for someone to be polygynous. That is at least a major step in the right direction and I'm ever so thankful the Lord has given you this much grace. But I think there is more grace that can be added to your position that would make it more consistent.

I think most who are honest in the academic and spiritual circles of leadership would agree with you that there is indeed a legitimate debate over ideal versus not ideal. Once you move past the sin not sin debate this is the other debate that is natural. But, let me say up front, since you seem to embrace the fact there are more important and lesser important doctrines in the Word of God, that I would consider this level of debate to be lesser in degree of importance than the "sin or not sin debate." Thus, I think I can discuss this with you friend to friend even if we come to different conlusions. One issue, the sin or not sin issue, can be high enough that a wrong position could be damning. This secondary issue, of ideal versus not ideal, is not per se on the same level of importance by your previous admissions already.

Though some rancor has developed from some of your ideal, accepted, tolerated terminology, I think I can truly see why you are arriving at the position you do. And I'd love to explore some of that ideology that seems to be at the root of why your theology takes the particular turn it does. That is not to say that I think it is exactly the best or correct conclusion but if I understand your foundational premises right I can see how you arrive logically to where you do. I just so happen to believe that there are some valid premises that you have overlooked. I believe that because I too at one time, and in several cases, missed some of those premises when building a local syllogism. Logic does not discover truth but only helps to aid in seeing flaws in arguments or exposing formal fallacies. But it is entirely possible to be logical and yet wrong if the premises we build from are not precise or valid. If we build from a wrong premise we can be logical in conclusion yet logically wrong. I think you have a few premises that are not exact harmony with the full systematic and holistic perspective on this particular doctrine.

And by the way, somewhere in all of the posts back and forth I think you said something like that maybe some people had a hard time believing some had more grace than others. Well, not with me. God is sovereign and he dispenses his grace as he please to whom he pleases and as much or as little as he pleases (see Romans 9:10-18). Furthermore, this is evident in the realm of spiritual gifts as well (1 Cor. 12:11). Some have more and some have less. And I imagine if you are reading some of the people you are quoting you are indeed picking on some of their Reformed ideology. I have no qualms with you in that regard, at least not in the basic essence or thrust an absolute affirmation of God's omnipotence rooted in omniscient providence.

Now moving along.

Real quick. let me summarize what I think you are saying and then ask you a question or two.

It sounds like to me that you believe in something called hierarchalism. That some states are better than others states and that some doctrines are higher than other doctrines. If so then I agree with you in much of that and most/many trained theologians would support that ideology as well.

It also seems to me that you affirm this order:
Celibacy the ideal
Monogamy accepted
Polygyny toleratated

Am I correct in the way you see that?

If so, here is my first few questions and then I will move along to my other scenarios since you have already answered Scenario A (by the way thank you for your time in answering my first scenario and post). Here is my
Question(s): I suppose you base your celibacy as the ideal off of Paul's statement in his letter to Corinth where he said he wished all were like him. Is that correct? And if that is correct would you kindly share with me what you believe the crisis was or would be in Corinth and why you believe what you do about whatever you hold as to the answer to what that crisis was or would be? This historical information is an important contextual guide that lays a historical context that plays into the golden rule of biblical interpretation called the historical-grammatical hermeneutic. Thus, I'm curious as to your position and ideas about the historical context surrounding this letter.

Thanks so much brother for your time to dialog about this.

Dr. Allen

Oh and one other question Erskine, did you read the teaching article on How and Why the Common Life of Polygyny Became Uncommon? I'm curious as to your historical understanding of this and what your thoughts were on the article.

It is here in this link in case you did not get a chance to read over it:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2063

I look forward to the dialog with you concerning tghe previous questions and about this article.

Dr. Allen

Dr. K.R. Allen said:
I think most who are honest in the academic and spiritual circles of leadership would agree with you that there is indeed a legitimate debate over ideal versus not ideal. Once you move past the sin not sin debate this is the other debate that is natural. But, let me say up front, since you seem to embrace the fact there are more important and lesser important doctrines in the Word of God, that I would consider this level of debate to be lesser in degree of importance than the "sin or not sin debate." Thus, I think I can discuss this with you friend to friend even if we come to different conlusions. One issue, the sin or not sin issue, can be high enough that a wrong position could be damning. This secondary issue, of ideal versus not ideal, is not per se on the same level of importance by your previous admissions already.

Actually, I'd have to say that this is a very common misunderstanding among Americans generally. We seem to have difficulty in accepting that just because something might not be the highest and best it need not be condemned as base and evil. As I wrote above, much of it is smuggling our (often idolatrous) conceptions of "democracy" and "all men are created equal" into our thinking about God's word. But I think that you would agree that this simply will not do for Christians - Creation is a monarchy with God as beneficent King and a hierarchy of "thrones and dominions" both above and below. That's just reality. It's a hierarchical chain and we all occupy our appointed place on it. We don't get to vote in God's Kingdom. All are not equal.

Sorry about that, my fellow Americans. You'll just have to get used to the notion.

And by the way, somewhere in all of the posts back and forth I think you said something like that maybe some people had a hard time believing some had more grace than others. Well, not with me. God is sovereign and he dispenses his grace as he please to whom he pleases and as much or as little as he pleases (see Romans 9:10-18). Furthermore, this is evident in the realm of spiritual gifts as well (1 Cor. 12:11). Some have more and some have less. And I imagine if you are reading some of the people you are quoting you are indeed picking on some of their Reformed ideology. I have no qualms with you in that regard, at least not in the basic essence or thrust an absolute affirmation of God's omnipotence rooted in omniscient providence.

Bingo.

It sounds like to me that you believe in something called hierarchalism. That some states are better than others states and that some doctrines are higher than other doctrines. If so then I agree with you in much of that and most/many trained theologians would support that ideology as well.

It also seems to me that you affirm this order:
Celibacy the ideal
Monogamy accepted
Polygyny toleratated

Am I correct in the way you see that?

Not exactly. At least inasmuch as you seem to be assuming that this is the hierarchy of values to which all are called.

Here's the point again: Not everybody is called to celibacy - they simply aren't granted that grace by God. And that's up to God, it's not up to man. The list above is NOT a sort of smorgasbord that all get to choose from as they well. These are the three Biblical lifestyles for adults.

Celibacy is clearly the highest and best calling, but few it would seem are called to it.

It seems to me that monogamy - again, an excellent but nevertheless lesser calling than celibacy - is the usual calling for the large majority of people. This is the grace that God (I say) grants to most of us.

Polygyny is not only not sinful, in our fallen world should be seen as a positive good, rather like opium in the relief of pain (in Eden there was no pain) or crutches (in Eden there were no broken bones or arthritis). In terms of our current American society, polygyny is desperately needed to relieve the horrible suffering of single mothers and their fatherless children. It's good in the very real sense that it's a vast improvement over what we have now, but it was never of Eden. It is a good institution in the context of this fallen world, and those who participate in it have real status and deserve great respect.

If so, here is my first few questions and then I will move along to my other scenarios since you have already answered Scenario A (by the way thank you for your time in answering my first scenario and post). Here is my
Question(s): I suppose you base your celibacy as the ideal off of Paul's statement in his letter to Corinth where he said he wished all were like him. Is that correct? And if that is correct would you kindly share with me what you believe the crisis was or would be in Corinth and why you believe what you do about whatever you hold as to the answer to what that crisis was or would be? This historical information is an important contextual guide that lays a historical context that plays into the golden rule of biblical interpretation called the historical-grammatical hermeneutic. Thus, I'm curious as to your position and ideas about the historical context surrounding this letter.

Paul does make it rather clear there. I understand the historical context - there was a persecution going on. But even then Paul is very clear that celibacy is the higher calling. It's just that God doesn't grant that grace to all.

And there are other scriptural bases for the understanding that celibacy is the highest lifestyle calling through a special grace granted by God. Jesus talked about eunuchs, how some are made eunuchs by men (castrated slaves) and that some were made so for the glory of God (he's obviously not talking about God mandating the castration of any man, and so is clearly talking about celibacy).

Matthew 19:12 (King James Version)
12For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

He's saying, in effect, "some are born without a libido, some are castrated by men as slaves, and some accept a celibate life for the Glory of God. I know it's tough, but try to accept it."

We see in Revelation who these men are:

Revelation 14
1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads. 2 And I heard a sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters and like a loud peal of thunder. The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps. 3 And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.

They are the celibate clergy (I suppose others, too) - men who over the centuries dedicated themselves wholly to the Gospel and who committed no serious sin their entire lives (they never lied, they were "blameless" in other respects). There are a limited number of them (although the number 144,000 is symbolic of the 12 Apostles times the 12 tribes of Israel times one thousand - meaning (I take it) in symbolic language "there will be a lot of these in Eternity who were called to the celibate life and who persevered to the end"). And note well that these men were virgins - they never "defiled themselves with a woman" (yes, the word "defiled" is used here) - and because of that they somehow are able to sing a song of God that nobody else can learn. On some intuitive level I "get this" - it makes some sort of sense to me (non-rational) that a man who never had sex with a woman and who managed by the Grace of God to transmute the libido into the world of the Spirit would somehow be operating on a higher plane than the rest of us. I like the imagery of the "song." It's almost as if they're able to take in the Music of the Spheres at a much higher vibrational tone. But I wax poetic.

Back to the text: note that they are above the rest of us in Heaven - that they are "first fruits." I'm not going to be a "first fruit" in Heaven. I will never learn that glorious song. Nor will the large majority of us, for the simple reason that God did not grant us that grace.

These men are HIGHER THAN ME ON THE SPIRITUAL HIERARCHY. They're nobility. I'm not.

Give it up, my fellow peasants.

All men were not created equal, and God grants His grace to whomsoever He will.

That's just the way it is and praise His Holy Name for it.

Oh and one other question Erskine, did you read the teaching article on How and Why the Common Life of Polygyny Became Uncommon? I'm curious as to your historical understanding of this and what your thoughts were on the article.

I did read your very learned and thought-provoking article. Thank you so much for posting it.

I agree generally that gnostic duality infects our Western minds. Augustine - and when we're talking about Western Christian theology from late Antiquity to the Reformation, we're talking mostly about Augustine - was a gnostic in his youth. He then became a follower of Plotinus, finally a Christian. He was certainly orthodox in in theology, but on an "emotional level" if you will he maintained a sort of anti-physical attitude. I think he just couldn't avoid it. It had become part of his thinking on a very deep level. He really took more of the attitude that celibacy is the only truly good thing, monogamy is a sort of dirty little secret that should be tolerated, and polygyny - well - it should be relegated to the barbarous past. He was (I hope the Saint will forgive me) a bit too much of a Roman. He wanted everybody to be a cultural Roman in all respects. He thought (maybe better to say, he felt) that this was higher than the Biblical culture of the Patriarchs. His thinking was shot through with Neo Platonic notions and this was a sort of leven for much that came after.

You leave out of your narrative the rise of the Scholastics and they're profound influence on the development of our common culture. The rediscovery of Aristotle (his writings had been lost to the West after the Fall of Rome) ultimately moved the Church in the High Middle Ages to embrace the physical world and the empirical method. The Dominican Order gave the world St. Thomas Aquinas, who wrote the Summa, set the intellectual foundations for the Renaissance.

St. Francis of Assisi was part of that re-embrace of the physical. Can you imagine Augustine writing (or even tolerating) a song like this?:

The Canticle of the Creatures
by St. Francis of Asisi

Most high omnipotent good Lord,
to Thee Praise, glory, honour
and every benediction.

To Thee alone Most High do they belong.
And no man is worthy to pronounce Thy Name.

Praise be to Thee my Lord with all Thy creatures.
Especially for Master Brother Sun
Who illuminates the day for us,
And Thee Most High he manifests.

Praise be to Thee my Lord
for Sister Moon and for the stars.
In Heaven Thou hast formed them,
shining, precious, fair.

Praise be to Thee my Lord for Brother Wind,
For air and clouds,
clear sky and all the weathers
Through which Thou sustainest all thy creatures.

Praise be to Thee my Lord for Sister Water.
She is useful and humble, precious and pure.

Praise be to Thee my Lord for Brother Fire,
Through him our night Thou dost enlighten,
And he is fair and merry, boisterous and strong.

Praise be to Thee my Lord for our Sister Mother Earth,
Who nourishes and sustains us all,
Bringing forth divers fruits,
and many-coloured flowers and herbs.

Praise be to Thee my Lord for those
who pardon grant for love of Thee
And bear infirmity and tribulation,
Blessed be those who live in peace,
For by Thee Most High they shall be crowned.

Praise be to Thee my Lord
for our sister Bodily Death
From whom no living man can flee;
Woe to them who die in mortal sin
But blessed they who shall be found
in Thy most Holy Will;
To them the second death can do no harm.

O bless and praise my Lord all creatures,
And thank and serve Him in deep humility.

The movement of St. Francis led the West's re-embrace of the body and nature, that led very directly to the art of the Renaissance. I mean to say, there is a very direct line to be drawn between the Canticle of the Creatures and Michelangelo's exquisite Pieta.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this and how it might fit into your narrative, the main problem with which (in my humble opinion) is that it skips over one thousand years from late Antiquity to the Reformation as if nothing much happened during that time. Obviously, nothing could be further from the truth.

Thanks so much brother for your time to dialog about this.

Dr. Allen

It is I who am in your debt, my learned brother.

I feel a need to make a few obserations on this discussion. I agree with
some of what Erskin said and disagree with some but what really troubles me
most is the tone that is being taken on the other side by most in the discussion.
Insecurity and pettiness might be strong words to describe it but I can't find any
others to fit. How weak are you in your beliefs that you must berate a man
ruthlessly for not even disagreeing with the core of them but simply changing
the semantics a bit by saying that what you are doing is not the "best" or
"superior"? I disagree with the premise that God gives "more grace" to some
than he does to others, but that being said, the Bible and all common sense
shows clearly that all people/things/situations/ideas are NOT equal. All that
Erskin is saying is that in his view polygyny is not ideal but necessary. He
did not say people who practice it are lesser for so doing, that they are sinning,
or that they are degraded in the eyes of God. He spoke of his personal feeling
that he was put into this role because of his past sins, he never made a
Universal statement that this was the case with everyone on this board or all
who are called to PM. David was disallowed from building the Temple because
he was a "bloody man". Think on this a moment, David, the man after God's own
heart was disquilified based on what he had doen in his life, did God love him
less because he did not allow him to build the temple? Moses was forbidden to
enter the promised land because he smote the rock, rather than speaking to it
as God commanded. Did Moses cease to be a man of God because of that.
Both of those men knew God and understood the conseqeunces of their
actions. Perhaps we should think a bit more wisely brothers, and look inward
when something another person says seems to critisize us and realize that
only what God thinks of us (and others for that matter) or what we are doing
matters in the real world. How is our heart before God? Do you really have to
feel that what God has called you to do is the best, not just for you, but overall
and for everyone in order to humbly carry out his will? Anyway feel free to
dogpile on me for a while if you must, I have big shoulders, maybe you can
give someone else a break.

P.S. Just for reference, my belief is that celibacy, monagamy, and polygany are
not in a ranking (good/better/best) but are simply different callings God has for
people and that any of these arrangements can be a blessing or a curse depending
on the situation. I also believe that one wife is adequate for any man, and that
Polygyny is NOT God's alternative grace for a guy who can't stop messing around
on his wife. That is a heart problem, not just a man who needs more tham one wife
To cope with his sexual desire. If God calls you to PM it isn't because you did a great
job at being married in your first relationship (though you may have) or because he
thinks you need more sex. He calls people to PM to bless another woman with a home
and a covering, to bless the family with another helper, and yes to bless the husband
with another wife. Moreso than any of these though, God brings families together
amoung his people to serve and glorify Him. How many of you on here would take
a badly scarred, grossly overwieght, or terminally ill oman into your family if God
asked you to? How about Hosea, how many of you would marry a prostitute (I am
well aware of the setting and context of that unique situation, so don't go all
"Bible college" on me and tell me why it's a bad example)? Marriage and life in
general for a Christian are about doing what God says for His reasons, not gratifying
our selves.

God_Is_My_Judge said:
most is the tone that is being taken on the other side by most in the discussion.
Insecurity and pettiness might be strong words to describe it but I can't find any
others to fit.

Thanks for this. You sum up my position rather well.

Dr. Allen:

I should add that St. Thomas Aquinas actually addressed the issue of polygyny in the 13th century and concluded that it was not contrary to the Natural Law. There were other objections that he raised to it, but he didn't say it was malum in se.

Here's an article you may find interesting:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ntent;col1

Aquinas on polygamy
National Catholic Reporter, Oct 8, 2004 by Robert B. Fiser

12Next
The sad story narrated by Evans K. Chama in "The Christian cost of rooting out polygamy" (NCR, Sept. 17), about how Joseph Milimo's father was forced by a missionary to abandon his No. 2 wife so he could be baptized a Catholic, once more shows how seminarians sometimes did (and do) not learn their theology well.

The missionary had not studied well his scholastic theology or its history. An archbishop named Raymond of Toledo in 12th-century Muslim Spain organized a polyglot team of translators, including Muslims, Jews and Christians, to translate the works of Aristotle from Arabic into Latin. As a result of this broad-minded enterprise, there arose a great respect for Muslim scholars such as the Arab philosopher from Cordoba, Ibn Rushd, known to Europeans as Averroes. Yet how to explain that these scholars were polygamists?

In the 13th century, Thomas Aquinas noted this and the fact that the biblical patriarchs David and Solomon had several wives. How to explain that? Aquinas commented in his Sentences that the Franciscan Bonaventure had appealed to a divine dispensation from monogamy due to the situation of the times "to increase the number of believers." But that was nonsense to Aquinas. He said if there was any dispensation in favor of polygamy, it was because it was reasonable: It was not inconsistent with the primary purpose of marriage.

In Aquinas' Summa against the Gentiles, he developed his thought on the "three ends of marriage," later on to be taught as Catholic teaching on marriage. The test end is the bringing forth and the education of children. The second end is the common life enjoyed by the spouses. The third end is the sacramental sign given by the fidelity of one man to one woman. The last end, he said, was distinctly Christian. Of the three ends, only the third is ruled out by polygamy. The primary end is not compromised at all. The "scholastics judged the Christian form of marriage to be the optimal one, but polygamy was not intrinsically evil.

If Joseph Milimo's missionary had-known his theology, he would not have caused so much grief to him or to his mother. My point is this: Before authorities make public statements, even if they believe they are being obedient to recent Roman documents, they should seek the advice of theologians before they cause another gaffe that gives rise to ridicule of church magisterium.

(Fr.) ROBERT B. FISHER, SVD

Bay St. Louis, Miss.

God_Is_My_Judge wrote:
others to fit.
Thanks for this. You sum up my position rather well. Mr. Childers response

I trust we all realize how difficult it is to adequately convey tone and sensitivity in a few lines on the typed page. I address first, God_Is_My_Judge, I appreciate your fine defense of Mr. Childers and the pertinent taking to task those that are his opponents in this thread of discussion.
Mr. Childers, thank you for confirming that his defense of your position is accurate. Since it is so difficult to discern tone on the page, let us give each other a bit more room and less criticism and let the positions speak for themselves. I only mention the following for comparision purposes. My initial perception of Mr. Childers letter was that he was coming across as arrogant, superior and condescending and God - Judge seems to share that odor. I didn't mention that before, nor do I argue that now. Both sides seem to have an attitude issue. So be it. Let's ignore that and look for facts, truth and scripture.
Mr. Childers, you have repeatedly averred that Paul clearly shows that celibacy is superior. You have been asked for scriptural reference to support that position. I too, would like to see sufficient substantiaon that God altered His design of marriage, that He implemented with the first parents. I also would like to see sufficent Biblical evidence to support the idea that a man or woman is "called" to one form or another. By sufficient evidence, I mean multiple references. A topic so vital to faith and society as marriage must surely have multiple supports. One does not build a wall with one or two bricks.
I certainly mean no disrespect to either party mentioned. Did I mention that many of us here are proud to be Americans?

Hey Erskine,

Thanks for your reply. As for the article I did not want to go through an entire church history series in that one article. I wanted to stop at around the time of the Roman Catholic Church birth, or at around 500.

I am familar with other portions of history that will play into it. I wanted to simply show where the major turn came in the church to where polygyny was considered sinful.

Alright, now since you have indee said you believe that Paul was teaching the ideal was celibacy let us move to this key point.

Do you believe that each and every word is inspired, even inspired in its precise grammatical construction in the original Greek? In other words, if something is for instance in the nominative case we must translate that over into English as the subject? Or if the case and tense in Greek is a verb in the aorist tense that we ought to translate that over into English in a verb in the past tense? And so on so forth.

Would you agree with that?

Secondly, do you agree that it is easy to interpret words and phrases and portions of Scripture in a biased manner by the way we are influenced by our presuppositions?

Once we establish these two points we shall move along further.

Dr. Allen

Dr. K.R. Allen said:
Alright, now since you have indee said you believe that Paul was teaching the ideal was celibacy let us move to this key point.

Do you believe that each and every word is inspired, even inspired in its precise grammatical construction in the original Greek? In other words, if something is for instance in the nominative case we must translate that over into English as the subject? Or if the case and tense in Greek is a verb in the aorist tense that we ought to translate that over into English in a verb in the past tense? And so on so forth.

Would you agree with that?

Secondly, do you agree that it is easy to interpret words and phrases and portions of Scripture in a biased manner by the way we are influenced by our presuppositions?

Once we establish these two points we shall move along further.

Dr. Allen

Agreed as to both points.

Dr. Allen:

I addressed the issue of why "marriage is good, celibacy is better" is scriptural. I pointed out Our Lord's statement on eunuchs called to service of God and how that relates to the 144,000 male virgins in Revelation.

To repeat, 1 Corinthians 7 is shot through with the understanding that monogamy is good but that celibacy is better.

6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.
8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

In short, Paul is saying "it would be best if you were called to celibacy, but most of you aren't, so by all means marry as sex in marriage in not sin but you commit sin by having sex outside marriage."

Marriage is good, celibacy is better.

38 So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does better.[c]

Why? Because celibacy allows a man or woman freedom to devote him or herself wholly to the Gospel:

32 An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34 and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband.

Again, the male virgins who devoted themselves wholly to the Lamb in Revelation make this central point crystal clear.

But not all are called to it, as Paul says above.

7 I wish that all of you were as I am (i.e. celibate). But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

Note that St. Paul is talking about gifts. Not everybody - in fact, relatively few, have the gift of celibacy. Most have the gift of monogamy. Some are called to a sort of spiritual triage called polygyny. All are gifts, all are good, but some are better than others.

I must say that I was rather taken aback by some of the negative emotions expressed in my general direction. I understood this thread to have sincerely thrown open the question of "Objections to Plural Marriage" to reasoned discussion. My tone was meant to be reasonable and I find the topic interesting so I chimed in. If rational discussion on the topic of plural marriage is not what this thread is actually about - or perhaps more generally, that's not what this forum is about - then please by all means let me know and I'll vacate the premises with neither regret or the least resentment.

I do find my discussion with Dr. Allen quite interesting, so if it's all the same to the rest here I'll stick around to hear what he has to say.

Alright, good. We stand on an Evangelical base with the ultimate foundation in Scripture with the inspiration extending to even precise grammatical constructions.

Now, you have set forth a correlation between Christ's teaching, Paul's teaching, and the book of Revelation. I see the correlation you are linking these texts together with but I think there is an underlying reason that exists in Christ's life, the church of Corinth, and even in the book of Revelation that I think you either are not seeing or maybe have overlooked. In my Ph.D classes on logic we called this a hasty induction error. I think that may be what has happened to you and I think you might even see it in time if we work our way through these things together.

I hope so because mercy I feel very much a concern for you that if you indeed do go towards this lifestyle that you will even feel as if you have received a lesser form of grace in your own conscience. I hurt for you to think that you will feel that in your own conscience. Not because I disagree that some gifts are more important than other gifts, as clearly such gifts do exist in higher and lower forms, but because I think you are missing a very lovely grace in Scripture concerning this issue due to some of your own ideas that you have brought with you that you may have assumed but never really taken the time to verify through a careful critique.

Now, let usw examine that to see if you are hitting the bull's eye so to speak.

First, why do you think Paul stressed for those in Corinth to remain single if they were currently single? Are you familar with the historical setting and circumstances?

Secondly, are you familar with the large weight of historical evidence concerning the issue surrounding if Paul was a married man or was never married? Have you read the historical studies pertaining to this? If not would you be willing to take the time to look into that and read some of the material I have read in that field?

Third, are you aware of the 4 to 6 interpretations of 1 Tim. 3:2 and if so which one of the six do you think fits best with the Greek Grammar and why?

Dr. Allen

Hey Erskine,

As for these comments:

I must say that I was rather taken aback by some of the negative emotions expressed in my general direction. I understood this thread to have sincerely thrown open the question of "Objections to Plural Marriage" to reasoned discussion. My tone was meant to be reasonable and I find the topic interesting so I chimed in. If rational discussion on the topic of plural marriage is not what this thread is actually about - or perhaps more generally, that's not what this forum is about - then please by all means let me know and I'll vacate the premises with neither regret or the least resentment.

Nah, relax. I think you just struck a nerve among some who thought you were degrading people for taking a pro polygyny stance. I had to read your comments a few times to grasp your idea and thus the reason I asked you about the righteous and unrighteous questions. Clearly you are not saying people are in sin, yet I think your terms "lesser of a family" are not the best words to use to describe your own position.

If I were to embrace your position I think I would certainly choose different terms which are more accurate of the theological stance you hold to. The term "lesser or more" cannot logically fit an either or term of family. By the law of non-contradiction one is either in a family or not in a family and there is no lesser or greater connotation to that. It like saying one is lesser alive or greater alive. That cannot be. Either one is alive or one is dead, there cannot be degrees.

A better and more astute way to describe your theological stance would be: "Directional Relational Status." Or maybe, "ideal or better per one's divine design or calling," Your view is that one is better able to serve Christ like in ministry if one's direction towards a union is less, or even so to the point that celibacy is the best directional move in order to be able to serve the greatest. The more mates ones takes the less one is able to focus fully in just one solitary direction, such as with ministry.

Nonetheless, I think this is a legitimate discussion, but I do not want us to be "debating" as that can at times break the fellowship between us if we hurt one another in a debate with words that sting the heart.

I do think, though, as already noted, that you have embraced some ideas historically that do not line up in exact harmony with all of the historical data surrounding the details of each text you have used. I think there is a slight revision to your "ideal" or better and "just accepted" positions that could really help you avoid saying something that leads to this type of emotional reaction among others.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is out to get you or seeking to hurt you. I think that sometimes we can actually talk past one another and miss one another's point.

I am sorry if you anything from our end hurt you. I don't think that is anyone's goal. Yet I think some on this end felt like you too were trying to hurt others by your words of choice. I don't think that was your intent either. But even if your mind never changes on the substance of theology I do think your terminology could be adjusted so that others do not read you as saying someone who is in polygny is less than pleasing or less than accepted and holy before God. As of right now your choice of terms can lead to that even though I don't think that is your precise position. Sometimes our terms can make or break us and others for that matter.

I do think, however, you have followed through on your ideas to their logical conclusion based upon the presuppositions you have about the historical context you currently hold to. But I think there are some other pieces of the puzzle that you have not got and thus if one sees these others pieces, which we will talk about as we progress, you can then see why another position has a solid case behind it as well. Once you consider these other historical factors, and other theological positions, I think you may see how another option can easily have strong strength behind it.

For now, though, I would strongly urge you to be careful with your terms, especially if posting in another area of the forums. Maybe even simply adding the words, "ideal for each person according to his or her calling" might even make a difference with others so they do not think you are claiming polygyny is less than righteous before God, which I think is what caused some concern.

Alright, I look forward to the dialog.

Dr. Allen

PS. Erskine, you will probably find it interesting that James Campbell, who I believe wrote under a pseudonym, said something similar to your view as well. His book is linked to the resources here on this site. He said that monogamy would be the norm had there been no fall of mankind into sin, but now that there is a fall polygyny is a form of marriage for the adapted state of mankind who live in a fallen world (A History and Philosophy of Marriage, 2007 edition by Patriarchal Publishing, p. 41-42). Just a side note. He would, however, differ with you in that he thinks that after the fall Polygyny was to be a norm. Anyway, just some interesting educational information for you.

Back